C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder - Push Rod

Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder - Push Rod

Hey all,

I am installing the Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder 1-1/8" bore on a 1978 with vacuum assist.

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...temno=260-8556

It seems that my push rod is too short as there is a lot of pedal travel before the push rod contacts the master cylinder. The pedal will depress about half the total travel before contacting the master cylinder. I am using the supplied adapter for power assist brakes.

Has anyone installed one of these master cylinders in a '77-82 C3? Did you experience the same, and what did you do to make it work?

Thanks,

Dom
Old 06-17-2017, 11:40 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Domobomb
Hey all,

I am installing the Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder 1-1/8" bore on a 1978 with vacuum assist.

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...temno=260-8556

It seems that my push rod is too short as there is a lot of pedal travel before the push rod contacts the master cylinder. The pedal will depress about half the total travel before contacting the master cylinder. I am using the supplied adapter for power assist brakes.

Has anyone installed one of these master cylinders in a '77-82 C3? Did you experience the same, and what did you do to make it work?

Thanks,

Dom
Did you ever solve this issue ? I am looking at the same product. Also did the factory brake lines also connect, or did you need to modify anything ?
Old 06-18-2017, 01:55 AM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Did you ever solve this issue ? I am looking at the same product. Also did the factory brake lines also connect, or did you need to modify anything ?
Turned out to be a leak in the front i didn't notice. Nothing to do with the rod.

It includes adapters to fit the factory flare fittings. I replaced all the lines with stainless.

Did not need to modify anything other than bend the upper lines slightly to line line up with ports on the MC. I had new lines and installed them when the body was off so maybe original lines would already be in the right spot.

Works great so far with the Wilwood calipers too.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Domobomb
Turned out to be a leak in the front i didn't notice. Nothing to do with the rod.

It includes adapters to fit the factory flare fittings. I replaced all the lines with stainless.

Did not need to modify anything other than bend the upper lines slightly to line line up with ports on the MC. I had new lines and installed them when the body was off so maybe original lines would already be in the right spot.

Works great so far with the Wilwood calipers too.
I am now installing the same MC.

Here is what I noticed.

1. Factory lines fit with no problems using the adapters provided by wildwood.

2. The push rod from the vacuum booster seems to long, but I am not sure. The reason I say its too long is the MC pivots around that point until I tighten it down. Not sure if this is normal since I don't recall how the factory MC fit.

Did you need to adjust the rod length to allow the brakes to release completely ?
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (06-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder - Push Rod

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wilwood Tandem Master Cylinder - Push Rod