C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Tilt Column Turn Signal Switch Wire Color Confusion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 1969 Tilt Column Turn Signal Switch Wire Color Confusion?

In the process of pulling my column apart to change out the turn signal switch I found this in my tilt column:

My replacement switch from Lectric Limited looks like this:

To add further confusion, Mr. Shea has a document that only outlines turn signal switch wiring: a picture is included here to make reference easier:

However, in Mr. Shea's TTStdColumnDR2 (Paper 2) page 6 he has the following diagram:

Willcox also has an awesome paper with color photos of how to replace the switch here:

Here is a screenshot of what he says on wiring:

To add further fuel to my confusion, Zip's picture of the Tilt Column Switch is this:

And Zip's Standard switch is this:

So, after all that buildup. here are my questions:

1) What is the difference between the two?
2) Do I have the correct switch to put into my tilt column and how can I tell?
3) Why the color differences?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:07 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

IIRC, the main difference between the T/S switches is the length of the wires. A T&T column requires longer wire. It may very well be that the vendor(s) have decided it's easier to stock one T&T switch that is pretty universal and will fit multiple cars instead of stocking several vehicle specific switches that may set on the shelf for long periods of time. AS long as you document what cavity each wire goes into and reinstall in the correct place there should be no problem. I'm pretty sure that you could find a NOS switch, but it will most likely be pricey.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:19 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

I just did this job on my. '71. Non tilt though. I actually took pictures of my old and new switch connectors as I de-pinned them to make ut easier. I'll post them up in a few minutes when I get home as a reference. My switch was an lecteic limited and the wires were too short as mentioned. They weren't long enough to allow the switch side connector to clip into the bracket in the column. I tried a few times then took it out and measured it against the original and it was 3/4 of an inch too short. That's all AI needed to get it to clip. A little disappointed but I know that's what we have to deal with using aftermarket parts.

Remember this is for a non-tilt 1971 car. I don't see why they would drastically change the wiring but you never know with engineers. You can see the different colors on my new switch as well but it works like a champ. I tested it before installation which is highly recommended. You don't want to get it installed and find something is not right.

EDIT - Picture added

Last edited by theandies; 04-23-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

The switch is different between T&T and standard and it is not a wire length issue. However with that said you do not need to de-pin the connector. The connector is flat because it is made to slide through the column. If it is your first time it may take a couple of times but it will go through.
Justin
Old 04-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Corvette T/S Switch Wires

As near as I can tell, the wiring colors were standardized throughout General Motors steering columns. It's too bad that aftermarket switch makers didn't follow the GM colors. However, the order in which the wires were inserted into the plastic "harmonica" connector must be the same.

Lastly, the "harmonica" connector did have some very minor changes through the years. Just enough difference that different year turn signal switches may not snap easily into the vehicle wiring. This problem can be easily fixed by switching the original harmonica connector onto the aftermarket switch. Just swap the wires, one at a time< so that you keep the correct order.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Tilt Column Turn Signal Switch Wire Color Confusion?

Quick Reply: 1969 Tilt Column Turn Signal Switch Wire Color Confusion?