C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Tips on Regulator/Door Glass Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Any Tips on Regulator/Door Glass Replacement?

My '81 has floppy window syndrome. I've purchased all of the parts to replace the right door glass, regulator, rollers, etc. I've read many threads and went to the Corvette Central website for a great technical article as well. I'm going to do the passenger side first and the driver side at a later date.

I'm looking for any suggestions, tips, or good links to get this job done. Also what is the approximate time it will take to do one side.?

TIA SR
Old 05-04-2017, 04:36 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Door glass

I rebuilt mine a few months ago replace the rollers re lube the slides
Not that hard take your time many moving parts, found the bracket broken
Use a press to install the rollers, I broke one trying to use a hammer
Wilvox may have a video
​​​​​​​good lu k
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:11 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

I just did the pass door on my 75 'vert. a few weeks ago. I think I spent around a total of 12 hrs over a few days, taking my time not to forget anything, It could be done faster, take plenty of time final adjusting the glass, It's not hard, just takes some patience , ( I didn't need a hammer to do mine, LOL )
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 60 SHARK
I just did the pass door on my 75 'vert. a few weeks ago. I think I spent around a total of 12 hrs over a few days, taking my time not to forget anything, It could be done faster, take plenty of time final adjusting the glass, It's not hard, just takes some patience , ( I didn't need a hammer to do mine, LOL )
Wow! 12 hours huh? That will help me plan ahead. I don't have a bunch of patience either. I'm just a little gun shy on starting this project. I feel like I don't have enough knowledge yet. I didn't get many responses so I guess I'll search for more info.

I received all of the parts today. I pulled the door panel off and looked things over. The regulator looks to be riveted to the door frame. The new regulator has screws. Already another twist.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:08 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

PM sent
Old 05-05-2017, 06:52 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I did both mine this past spring, and the first one took eight hours working alone. The second one took maybe an hour with my wife helping.
The learning curve had a lot to do with the first one taking so long, but the help with the second one holding the glass while aligning the tracks and guides.....Don't tell the wife,...I will never hear the end of it.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:23 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

I did the passenger door recently. Biggest piece of advice I can give is to take your time and be very patient. It is so easy to bump the glass - the original glass is quite thick and sturdy, but it doesn't take much to chip an edge.

It's not that hard to do, just frustrating at times. A second set of hands nearby would definitely help at times when you are trying to hold the glass in place and run a bolt through it.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:32 PM
hamrad
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got done rebuilding my manual regulators today. Easiest way to remove or replace the glass, unbolt both vertical tracks. Reach in thru access hole in bottom of door and pull these off the front and rear rollers.
You can then remove these tracks. Then unbolt window from horizontal track. Remove window and front roller from rear of door up thru where the rear vertical track was bolted.
Reverse this process to reinstall.
This was one of the easiest things I have done to this car. Windows now roll up and down with VERY little effort.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I got the right window regulator and door glass replaced and adjusted today. Easier than expected but time consuming. I am quite a bit more prepared for the driver side now. Thanks to all who left comments on the thread. And thanks to 60 SHARK for the telephone call and words of encouragement.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Tips on Regulator/Door Glass Replacement?

Quick Reply: Any Tips on Regulator/Door Glass Replacement?