C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ford fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Like the revived thread from a decade ago, still have the same '89 F body rad in my '72 here in FLORIDA.....it's a plastic tank, single row aluminum about 1 inch thick....just barely fits in the '72 stock rubber mounts,

and so I put a Dual Spal setup in there, single speed is all that's necessary....and made my own mounts and complete shrouds, 100% sux through the radiator.....I also have a go to hell trans cooler, using an engine oil cooler about a foot square and near 2" thick between the stock condenser and radiator.....BTW that stock condenser cools just fine, in spite of what other folks say about R134 in there, course I have adjusted the POA valve, and run a serp drive with '88-91 vette compressor,

I let the computer run the fans, which turn off at ~40 mph or so.....

some of the sloppy looking pipe wrap to control airflow came loose so I had to redo it just a while ago....woopie doo......

runs good in FLORIDA heat, run well anywhere.......

Last edited by mrvette; 05-11-2017 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jimvette999 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:17 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 763 Posts

Default I am controlling via EZ-EFI 2.0.... It is on/off

.....and NOT using the variable speed controller.

I still have the Variable Speed controller and I was going to put it back to work, but it all seems to work well with the EZ-EFI 2.0 controller that I haven't bothered.

I do need to move the A/C controls to the pressure switch (instead of the compressor on/off interlock) because right now it runs continuously whenever I have the A/C on... don't really need that at speed. (I read that somewhere? Hope I'm understanding correctly).

Originally Posted by jimvette999
Are you controlling the fan as either on/off or variable speed using the Fast?

Last edited by carriljc; 05-14-2017 at 02:18 PM.
jimvette999 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 04:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Jim,

I like what you are posting my thread is
afterall about ford electric fans, so it belongs here

For me When a company desires to prove their product is superior and pays for the testing the results and lack of some specs and data isnt surprising to me at all.

I have seen in the past the net finds you have added and there is a lot of great info there problem is there is also some misinformation out there when dealing with this subject,

For example, i have read out in cyberland things like there is no 2 speed Taurus fan when i have one sitting here,
I have seen there is no mark 2 speed when the 95 model has 3 leads and two speeds,

I have seen one site say X make model is the best then 3 other sites each honor a different make and model as the best

I personally believe the reason for so much confusion is how ford and Lincoln switched out and swapped around fan motors, blades, and housings,

so the reader is forced to think about this more and do more homework than relying on one or two sources,

Yeah, i did dig out my Taurus 2 speed to take another look at it, its rather thick at the bottom, likely touched the sway bar,

I am also looking at the possibility of cutting the fan from the housing and making an aluminum shroud, some guys use baking sheets and i find that rather ingenious but i fear it sits too close to core and isnt as thick as i desire

I also have to consider will it need a trap door, which are required in many factory shrouds,

Since reasons i want electric fans range from cleaning up the clutter in the engine bay to running a spreader bar, i cant use the stock shroud like you want to run and dad did on his avanti,

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-11-2017 at 04:39 PM.
jimvette999 (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 05:06 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
The shroud is not trimmed. The fan "legs" were removed and I made my own brackets to mount the radiator and made my own brackets to mount the fan.
The fan fit snugly in front of the sway bar. I was going to trim it but it was minimal interference so I just let it be. There is no issue with the spreader bar. It has been there for 10 years.
Originally Posted by The13Bats
Since reasons i want electric fans range from cleaning up the clutter in the engine bay to running a spreader bar, i cant use the stock shroud like you want to run and dad did on his avanti,
I`ve been watching intently, but I`m surprised to see only one reply so far with a spreader bar. I am planning to just go with the stock radiator & fan for now....BUT, I have played with the idea of electric fans. ESPECIALLY in this Florida heat & traffic!
But I`ve heard nothing but rave reviews about the spreader bars, and wouldn`t want to give that up.
I`m also happy to see the electric fans can go in without hacking up the original shroud.... allbeit with some bracket magic being performed.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:39 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Very interesting, thanks for sharing,
Are you auto or stick and whats your climate?
Does hi kick on much?
Auto, 2004R.
Northern Illinois, we usually see a few 90Deg plus days each summer and once in awhile 100 deg.
Haven't seen it go to hi speed except when running the AC. I'm planning to go to a trinary switch to control the fan with AC pressure, then it will stay on low at hi-way speeds with the AC on.
I also have a spreader bar.

Last edited by '75; 05-11-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by oldgto
I`ve been watching intently, but I`m surprised to see only one reply so far with a spreader bar. I am planning to just go with the stock radiator & fan for now....BUT, I have played with the idea of electric fans. ESPECIALLY in this Florida heat & traffic!
But I`ve heard nothing but rave reviews about the spreader bars, and wouldn`t want to give that up.
I`m also happy to see the electric fans can go in without hacking up the original shroud.... allbeit with some bracket magic being performed.

Gto,
How you been, still havent made it out of eustis for that front horseshoe if you havent already gotten rid of it,

Lots of ideas swirling about electric fans, mounting one in the opening of a stock shroud is one that is gonna be tried, sounds sweet to me,

Otherwise the stock should comes out to fit electrics,

To side step my own fan thread, seems in a group where seldom do people agree the concensus is 100% spreader bars are great,
Most run them with electric fans due to fitting issues, actually will they fit any c3 with mech fan?

For over 30 years i have been told more times than i can count by savvy alignment guys that the 63 to 82 corvettes have a built in a desire for the frame to relax and it shows in the front alignment, people who push their c3s feel it other ways, the spreader bar fixes all that.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:04 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgto

OH, with my SPAL setup, the spreader bar is as far forward as possible on the install, clears everything fine...plenty of room.....
oldgto (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:13 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrvette
OH, with my SPAL setup, the spreader bar is as far forward as possible on the install, clears everything fine...plenty of room.....
Thanks, but i made this thread to discuss the ford fans all in one place, the 11 dual spals have plenty of threads devoted to them,

However, i and likely others would have interest in how you made that camaro radiator fit...
mrvette (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 06:58 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Jim,

I like what you are posting my thread is
afterall about ford electric fans, so it belongs here

For me When a company desires to prove their product is superior and pays for the testing the results and lack of some specs and data isnt surprising to me at all.

The "flavor" of the testing was "The Mark is over rated/hyped and an under performer compared to what I want to sell you" IMO.

I have seen in the past the net finds you have added and there is a lot of great info there problem is there is also some misinformation out there when dealing with this subject,

Very true

For example, i have read out in cyberland things like there is no 2 speed Taurus fan when i have one sitting here,
I have seen there is no mark 2 speed when the 95 model has 3 leads and two speeds,

Now the three leads is true but I "read" the two hots tie together inside the motor housing but I can't find evidence the Mark is anything but variable.

I have seen one site say X make model is the best then 3 other sites each honor a different make and model as the best

I personally believe the reason for so much confusion is how ford and Lincoln switched out and swapped around fan motors, blades, and housings,

so the reader is forced to think about this more and do more homework than relying on one or two sources,

Yeah, i did dig out my Taurus 2 speed to take another look at it, its rather thick at the bottom, likely touched the sway bar,

I am also looking at the possibility of cutting the fan from the housing and making an aluminum shroud, some guys use baking sheets and i find that rather ingenious but i fear it sits too close to core and isnt as thick as i desire

Agreed, that's the issue I had with it...the air has to come through and make a hard turn to "flow". Otherwise, its' a great idea. I considered making one out of stainless sheet and using a brake for bends and spot welder or rivets but then decided to use the stock shroud to direct air flow toward engine instead of toward the ground. I purchased a 98 Mark yesterday...been pondering the mating of the two.

I also have to consider will it need a trap door, which are required in many factory shrouds,

The radiator being at an angle leads me to believe the air flow through the radiator is less than ideal and likely doesn't necessitate traps as it would on a vertical install.

I'm running a spreader bar with stock shroud, blower belt. I used a Speed Direct spreader and drilled and tapped the upper A arm supports so I could place it where I needed it.
See below.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:57 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here's the fan I have. It's a 3 wire

Old 05-11-2017, 09:35 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Jim vette
Please post me a pic of your full engine compartment,

I have seen it too no mark fan is really two speed like the Taurus,

But it has yet been 100% proven to me,
I am hopeful,

For me i do not like all off or all on,
I like 2 speed single fans or running dual fans both low then both high with a relay setup for series-parallel,
Or one on low both on high,

My 66 had a fiero fan,
Cooled great turned off at speeds but was all or none,
mrvette (05-12-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

I have a question. I know I have seen some cars the fan will continue to run after the car has shut off. How necessary is that?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Punisher
I have a question. I know I have seen some cars the fan will continue to run after the car has shut off. How necessary is that?

Many factory cars are wired like that i do believe
Necessary?
I believe it depends on the car, and who you ask, afterall mech fans stop with the engine,
I know younger tuner cats who have turbos and such like to have the fans keep running to cool things off in there,

Ive been told same thing from several people at cruises, they just like it to cool a little more,

In my mind since the engines off coolant isnt moving so depending on where the sensor is the fans might stay on a really long time, too long?

On my 66 i wired it to run even when engine off, i just thought it was neat o, lol, my sensor on that car was plumbed in one tank on the radiator and the fan only ran a few minutes in most cases.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:05 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Gto,
How you been, still havent made it out of eustis for that front horseshoe if you havent already gotten rid of it,
Doing good.... working on rear diff & trailing arms now. Bracket is still here for you.
Lots of ideas swirling about electric fans, mounting one in the opening of a stock shroud is one that is gonna be tried, sounds sweet to me,
I like this too. Some replys in this thread mentioned making their own brackets & mounts... I`d like to see pictures of some of those!
Otherwise the stock should comes out to fit electrics,

To side step my own fan thread, seems in a group where seldom do people agree the concensus is 100% spreader bars are great,
Most run them with electric fans due to fitting issues, actually will they fit any c3 with mech fan?
Mine fits perfect right below the pulley, and it will be between the stock mech. fan and the belts.
For over 30 years i have been told more times than i can count by savvy alignment guys that the 63 to 82 corvettes have a built in a desire for the frame to relax and it shows in the front alignment, people who push their c3s feel it other ways, the spreader bar fixes all that.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:52 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Here's the fan I have. It's a 3 wire

I've "read" from numerous sources that three wires does not equate to 2 speeds in the case of the Mark VIII fans. The center wire is either un-used or tied together inside the motor cover. In this case, it's probably a 2 speed fan. Is that a Ford fan?
Old 05-12-2017, 08:59 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Maybe it's to stop a temperature spike???? I think I would like a 30 second cool down cycle and the PWM controller I think I'm buying (not made by the big 3) has a adjustable cool down cycle.

I've read that it's a good idea to keep the radiator from ocillating to extremes in temps /\/\/\/\/ and keep it more even to stop flexing the metal
Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Jim vette
Please post me a pic of your full engine compartment,

I have seen it too no mark fan is really two speed like the Taurus,
Taurus definitely 2 speed, no proof by me on the Mark.
But it has yet been 100% proven to me,
I am hopeful,

For me i do not like all off or all on,
I like 2 speed single fans or running dual fans both low then both high with a relay setup for series-parallel,
Or one on low both on high,

I found a American made PWM controller that has soft start for 1 or 2 fans, variable cool down option, etc. Models avail. form 50 AMPS to 200 AMP capability and under hood mounting. Reasonable pricing, 7 days a week support and a Veteran owner. Testimonials (with submitter photos) tout how they scrapped the big name, problem prone PWM controllers and found as promised performance in this Brand.

My 66 had a fiero fan,
Cooled great turned off at speeds but was all or none,
Won't win any awards but here ya go. Let me know if you're interested in something in particular.

Here's a good shot of the spreader bar bolt in.

Last edited by jimvette999; 06-05-2017 at 11:22 AM.
The13Bats (05-12-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To ford fans

Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

On the Lincoln MKVIII fan I have on my 71', its a 3 wire plug, supposedly by the numbers it was 2 speed fan. I tested both power leads to the motor and it ran exactly the same speed. This lead me to believe the speed was either controlled by PWM in the PCM or multiple relays (hi/lo speed relays)...I'm not sure exactly...

My spare lincoln MKVIII fan also has 3 wires, I havent tested them individually to see if the fan speed changes... The reality is, odds are, the fan is going to need to run on high in a C3 anyway. Absolutely no reason to over complicate this install worrying about wiring up for multiple speeds etc..

Regardless of which fans flow what cfm and have how many speeds, a lincoln fan with proper wiring and relays should cool any C3 fine.

Mine is a 650hp, IRON head big block, with AC, down in Houston where its 95* /80% humidity on average and the fan easily cycles on/off. I can use the manual overide switch and it will bring temps down into the mid 170*s or less on a 95* day if I want.

They are great fans. I'm sure the taurus/sable fans are as well but...my experience is only with the MKVIII fans.

Here is my lincoln MKVIII fan install from years ago:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-install.html

Last edited by ajrothm; 05-12-2017 at 09:40 AM.
jimvette999 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 09:52 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ajrothm

Here is my lincoln MKVIII fan install from years ago:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-install.html
Alan, rather than reply to your old thread, I wanted to mention, based on a comment you had, that you can get the non-sticky wiring tape like GM used if you ever decide you want it.
A search for "Wire Harness Tape" should get you there.
Jim
Old 05-12-2017, 01:08 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jimvette999
I've "read" from numerous sources that three wires does not equate to 2 speeds in the case of the Mark VIII fans. The center wire is either un-used or tied together inside the motor cover. In this case, it's probably a 2 speed fan. Is that a Ford fan?
Yes from a Taurus

Quick Reply: ford fans