C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlamp Relay question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Headlamp Relay question

I received my Daniel Stern kit and am starting the install.
My kit came with 3 relays which is odd since DS's schematic only shows two. Any ideas? I e-mailed him and said it was for the low beam lamp high beam circuit but the way the factory did it was to gang all the high beam wires together. Seems odd that there would be a separate relay for the low beam lamp HB circuit.
Also, on the control side the kit only has two male connectors to plug into the existing wiring. My guess is since the two sides are ganged together that I only need to use one set of original sockets (in this case the left LB and HB connectors that used to go to the lamps) to toggle the relays? Sound right?
If that is the case what did you guys do with the bulb connectors on the right side?
Thanks
Old 05-11-2017, 06:20 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
My kit came with 3 relays which is odd since DS's schematic only shows two. Any ideas? I e-mailed him and said it was for the low beam lamp high beam circuit but the way the factory did it was to gang all the high beam wires together. Seems odd that there would be a separate relay for the low beam lamp HB circuit.
Also, on the control side the kit only has two male connectors to plug into the existing wiring. My guess is since the two sides are ganged together that I only need to use one set of original sockets (in this case the left LB and HB connectors that used to go to the lamps) to toggle the relays? Sound right?
If that is the case what did you guys do with the bulb connectors on the right side?
Thanks
Forgive my total ignorance to that kit i do it from scratch,
I like to do it like many imports do, each side is separate so to speak, so i wont loose all my lighting at once if something goes askew,
Old 05-11-2017, 10:40 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I just left it unplugged. Wired it all off the drivers side.very worthwhile mod, even with the crappy factory lights they are better.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Thanks
Can you post a pic of the kit before you install it
Old 05-14-2017, 12:55 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Lots of info here:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/electrical/headlights/

Old 05-14-2017, 05:05 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
Can you post a pic of the kit before you install it
Sorry, when I saw your post I had it all mounted and was wiring.

I figured out the wiring and all is working well except my low beams suck. My high beams are very bright now and will stay on because the current is not going through the headlight switch anymore.

Here's how I wired it using the three relays:

I'm thinking of switching 87 of relay 1 and 87 of relay 3 to light up the high beam filament of the low beam lamps when low beams are on then adjust the low beam lamps accordingly.
Or just get some better low beam lamps now that my wiring is upgraded to 12 gauge and I have ceramic plugs at the lamps.

I managed to save the fiber optics and they work great! I'll post up some pictures of how I did it in another post.

Any suggestions on good low beam lamps?
Old 05-15-2017, 01:53 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Don't put the high beams on for low beam - even adjusted low they will be binding oncoming drivers as they have no cutoff. Have you asked Daniel Stern what he would recommend? That's what I would do. The ultimate are the jw speaker LED for the high/low position, but they are expensive! I believe you guys have better low beam halogen options available (for RHT/LHD) than we do (for LHT/RHD). If you don't use high beam a lot, then dedicated low beams will probably give you the best performance.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:08 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Thanks Meathead. I'll have to figure out another solution then.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlamp Relay question

Quick Reply: Headlamp Relay question