C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luggage rack expertise needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:16 PM
Rev Ron
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Luggage rack expertise needed

I am restoring my 70 Stingray that had a 4 hole luggage rack on it (there are 4 holes in the body). I am told that I probably need to put another luggage rack on it, instead of doing body work, because the fiberglass used to fill the holes WILL shrink after putting on a fresh coat of paint. I am ok with putting on a rack. Here is the problem. All the new luggage racks I can buy (Ecklers/ Corvette America) are smaller, with holes that do not match up to my current holes. I see a well-worn 4 hole luggage rack on Ebay. The width is perfect (40 1/2"), but the height is off. My holes are 14", but the holes on the Ebay rack are 21". Yes, I can drill new holes in this one and make it work (but will it look crummy?) Is there a luggage rack with the dimensions i need?
Old 05-12-2017, 04:34 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Rev Ron
I am restoring my 70 Stingray that had a 4 hole luggage rack on it (there are 4 holes in the body). I am told that I probably need to put another luggage rack on it, instead of doing body work, because the fiberglass used to fill the holes WILL shrink after putting on a fresh coat of paint. I am ok with putting on a rack. Here is the problem. All the new luggage racks I can buy (Ecklers/ Corvette America) are smaller, with holes that do not match up to my current holes. I see a well-worn 4 hole luggage rack on Ebay. The width is perfect (40 1/2"), but the height is off. My holes are 14", but the holes on the Ebay rack are 21". Yes, I can drill new holes in this one and make it work (but will it look crummy?) Is there a luggage rack with the dimensions i need?
I thought your holes were 41" apart.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ge-rack-3.html

I posted some photos of 4 hole Corvair racks in post #65.

Originally Posted by Rev Ron
I am brand new to the Vette world. I've surveyed this site, but still cannot come up with a definite answer, though I have an idea. My 70 has what I think to be 4 holes on the rear deck for a luggage rack (not 6 holes, not 8 holes). The holes are 41" apart, outside to outside. Not 38 1/2" apart, like the luggage racks at Ecklers. What is the deal? I realize that in 1970, the logger racks were a dealer installed item, so who knows what rack the dealer might have used? Or, one of the owners may have installed it, so who knows which one they installed? It may have been a luggage rack from a later model? I really don't want to put a rack back on it, but hear the bad stories, that the repairs on the luggage rack holes often do let last because the fiberglass repair shrinks. I feel like I HAVE to put a luggage rack back on. Who knows about a Vette luggage rack that is 41" apart? Talk to me, plz!

Last edited by 71 Green 454; 05-12-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:38 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi RR,
If you'd like to do away with the rack…..
If done properly by someone very familiar with working on fiberglass the chance of the repairs being noticeable is greatly reduced.
The key is that the holes must be v'd out on both sides (to the size of a silver dollar) and the repair done using mat and resin.
No 'filler' of any type should be used.
Too often the repair is done without any work on the hole so the repair ends up being just a 'plug' of material different than what's around it.
The result is that when the deck heats up in the sunlight the outline of the plug can be seen.
Regards,
Alan

Before paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Luggage rack expertise needed

Quick Reply: Luggage rack expertise needed