C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moroso SBC Oil Pan missing a bolt hole!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:23 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Moroso SBC Oil Pan missing a bolt hole!?

Picked up a Moroso 20206 pan for my SBC and it's missing a bolt hole on the rear passenger side of the pan.. Wouldn't have even realized it but I had an extra bolt from the ARP SBC oil pan kit and I was kornfused by that.

Anyone know if this is by design for some reason, or is this just a mfg oversight?? Seems to me like this is gonna be guaranteed leak point without that bolt... Maybe I will be ok if I put RTV in that area but that gamble sucks.... Leaks suck....

Thanks for any input you have...
Attached Images  

Last edited by gbarmore; 05-12-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:26 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It doesn't look like there's enough space there for a bolt.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:34 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Agreed, I put it on the motor and it would be a real tight fit given the way it was mfg'd. However, if the hole were punched in toward the crank like the others it might work just fine. Unfortunately I will not be able to do that in my 'shop'. Question is, if I leave this is it gonna leak without that bolt? just a guess, but prolly... My original POS crate motor oil pan (with the trap door that didn't close past 1/2" open) had a bolt hole there. Directions say nothing about this and are otherwise pretty dang thorough....

Last edited by gbarmore; 05-12-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:33 AM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Moroso redesigned some pans recently, the reason for eliminating that particular hole was to be able to use up to 4.000" stroker crank with that pan.

The part number you have is one of these "modified" pans, it's counterpart, the 20201 has the same number of holes.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Assuming you're using some type of 1-pc pan gasket if you want an effective seal, place a thin layer of "The Right Stuff" around the entire pan rail surface on the block/ends, lay the gasket in place, snug the pan down by hand (do not fully tighten it yet). Let it "set" for a few hours, remove the pan, put another coat of sealer, this time on the gasket then install the pan. Using this method we've never had a single drip of oil anywhere from the pans.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:37 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
Moroso redesigned some pans recently, the reason for eliminating that particular hole was to be able to use up to 4.000" stroker crank with that pan.

The part number you have is one of these "modified" pans, it's counterpart, the 20201 has the same number of holes.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Assuming you're using some type of 1-pc pan gasket if you want an effective seal, place a thin layer of "The Right Stuff" around the entire pan rail surface on the block/ends, lay the gasket in place, snug the pan down by hand (do not fully tighten it yet). Let it "set" for a few hours, remove the pan, put another coat of sealer, this time on the gasket then install the pan. Using this method we've never had a single drip of oil anywhere from the pans.
Thx, Gary. I am going to try your method with the right stuff. Already painted up the pan and not able to send it back. Appreciate the info!

Greg
Old 05-13-2017, 04:07 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by GOSFAST

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

Hey Gary, so what is the purpose of sealing the gasket in two different steps versus just doing both sides at once and bolting it down? ?
Old 05-14-2017, 07:47 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you use a sealant, I suggest that you install the pan, install bolts just mildly snug; then let it set overnight for sealant to harden up. After that, tighten bolts to final spec.

If you tighten the bolts with gooey sealant applied, the joint will just squeeze out most of the sealant. Also, the sealant will act as a lubricant and bolts will be over-rotated...essentially over-torquing the bolts.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:23 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you use a sealant, I suggest that you install the pan, install bolts just mildly snug; then let it set overnight for sealant to harden up. After that, tighten bolts to final spec.

If you tighten the bolts with gooey sealant applied, the joint will just squeeze out most of the sealant. Also, the sealant will act as a lubricant and bolts will be over-rotated...essentially over-torquing the bolts.
Gotcha, makes sense. BTW, I see various specs for Oil pan torque for a SBC but it seems most settle on 12 ft/lbs. Anyone have input on that? I'm using a Fel-Pro one piece rubber with steel core if gasket composition is a factor.

Get notified of new replies

To Moroso SBC Oil Pan missing a bolt hole!?

Quick Reply: Moroso SBC Oil Pan missing a bolt hole!?