C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken starter bolt - help me source a replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:07 PM
JohnnyQuik
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Broken starter bolt - help me source a replacement

You guys ever start an easy little project that just seems to never end? I've got one of those going on now.

I managed to snap the bolt on the front of the starter that that holds the front starter support bracket. This is the long one that goes through the stater holding the front cover on and holding the main starter body to the rear section. The front end has a threaded section that acts as a stud for the bracket that supports the starter and holds the heat shield and ground wire.

Anyway, does anyone have a source for this bolt or any ideas? Starter is correctly coded for the car (assumed original) and I'd like not to replace it if possible.

This is a '70 LS5 454 BB if that matters.

Thanks

Broken end:

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 05-20-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: I spell like a second grader
Old 05-21-2017, 12:17 AM
hipocars1
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

This place probably has it, but I don't know if they sell individual parts for starters. Worth a call.
https://www.precision-pwr.com/
Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Out of curiousity I looked at the zone

Looks they have multiple starter bolts for 1970 454s.... Knurled and everything from the pictures they show. Take a look.

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
You guys ever start an easy little project that just seems to never end? I've got one of those going on now.

I managed to snap the bolt on the front of the starter that that holds the front starter support bracket. This is the long one that goes through the stater holding the front cover on and holding the main starter body to the rear section. The front end has a threaded section that acts as a stud for the bracket that supports the starter and holds the heat shield and ground wire.

Anyway, does anyone have a source for this bolt or any ideas? Starter is correctly coded for the car (assumed original) and I'd like not to replace it if possible.

This is a '70 LS5 454 BB if that matters.

Thanks

Broken end:
Old 05-21-2017, 01:25 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Do you have any independent auto parts store near you(NOT Autozone, Pepboys, etc)? Some of them rebuild starters and alternators themselves.
That's where I found that same bolt when I broke mine
Old 05-21-2017, 01:49 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Go to any starter rebuild shop. They'll have old GM starters. Those bolts were on every one of them ever made....nothing special.

JIM
Old 05-21-2017, 06:17 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Or a auto salvage [junkyard]. T
Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 AM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

replace that worn solenoid fork while you are in there.

bigredbrad
Old 05-22-2017, 09:43 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Go to any starter rebuild shop. They'll have old GM starters. Those bolts were on every one of them ever made....nothing special.

JIM
, if we knew where in South Carolina you lived, someone may even be able to recommend a shop to take it to.

Most medium or larger towns will have an independent rebuild shop that specializes in everything electrical on cars, trucks, and even farm machinery. They are a wealth of knowledge and terrific source for hard to find parts such as you're looking for.

I broke an ear off of the original starter on my '73 and went to see my local rebuilder. He gave me a correct nose for my starter and even installed a new bushing it it, all for $15. Needless to say, I send all my friends to him that want to maintain/retain their original equipment.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 05-28-2017, 12:30 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Just FYI, I broke one of those bolts once and just went to the hardware store and bought some all-thread to get me through until the next time I could completely remove the starter and get it replaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken starter bolt - help me source a replacement

Quick Reply: Broken starter bolt - help me source a replacement