C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De Witts Radiator neck issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Marlon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default De Witts Radiator neck issue

Hi - I recently ordered a Direct Fit radiator from Zip to fit my 71' LT-1. I also replaced the core support - what a hard job! Anyway, slowly getting the car back together and time to start it up. I had put the cap on after the install and was now going to fill the radiator with distilled water to run it and flush out everything before I filled it with Zerex G-05 50/50 premix.

I could not get the cap off the neck to pour in the distilled water. It would turn all the way counterclockwise against the stops, but would not come off. It came off the old stock radiator. I had to pry it off. While looking at the filler neck you can see the neck opening is not round! I did not try to reinstall the cap.

What do I do? This was a major job and I'm somewhat frustrated about this.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:01 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I understand your frustration with something this expensive it should be high end and perfect,
But sheit 'appens
My guess is its a very rare oversite from dewitts and being 100% on there end i am guessing they will stand behind it 100% ( or at least should )

Oops, dewitts has no control over what zip did so to revise what i posted either zip or dewitts one or the other needs to make this right,

So try hitting up dewitts and please keep us posted .

Last edited by The13Bats; 05-21-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Marlon
Instructor

will call them tomorrow...thanks!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Marlon
Instructor

Called them - very nice, said to try to carefully work it back into shape - the neck is aluminum. If I can;t fix it, send it back and they will. So I worked on it and it seems good to go now!!!

Filled radiator with a couple gallons distilled water and will run the engine soon to circulate the coolant in the block and then drain and repeat a few times before putting in fresh coolant.

Last edited by Marlon; 05-22-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
Called them - very nice, said to try to carefully work it back into shape - the neck is aluminum. If I can;t fix it, send it back and they will. So I worked on it and it seems good to go now!!!

Filled radiator with a couple gallons distilled water and will run the engine soon to circulate the coolant in the block and then drain and repeat a few times before putting in fresh coolant.
Fixing it crossed my mind but not until the powers to be said so,

Was there much trash in your system when you flushed it?

Glad this one seems to have a happy ending
Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 AM
Marlon
Instructor

I was able to 'work' the filler neck back into shape and everything is fine now! Love the new rad - got mine in 'black' and it looks totally appropriate in there.

I went thru 20 gallons of distilled water to flush the block and the old coolant was very crappy looking indeed. Drain the radiator, fill with 2 gallons distilled, run the car (without tstat) for 10 minutes - repeat until the drained water was pretty clear!

The new Zerex aluminum radiator coolant is clear - how cool.

Last edited by Marlon; 07-03-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Marlon
Hi - I recently ordered a Direct Fit radiator from Zip to fit my 71' LT-1. I also replaced the core support - what a hard job! Anyway, slowly getting the car back together and time to start it up. I had put the cap on after the install and was now going to fill the radiator with distilled water to run it and flush out everything before I filled it with Zerex G-05 50/50 premix.

I could not get the cap off the neck to pour in the distilled water. It would turn all the way counterclockwise against the stops, but would not come off. It came off the old stock radiator. I had to pry it off. While looking at the filler neck you can see the neck opening is not round! I did not try to reinstall the cap.

What do I do? This was a major job and I'm somewhat frustrated about this.
Was it Two stops?? I had the same issue with mine but then I realized I was trying to pull the cap off at the first stop.It took me extra effort to press down again and go to the second stop. once I did , the spring on the cap pushed the the cap off....
Old 07-03-2017, 11:02 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Just ordered one for my 71 as the recore of the original failed after 1 year... The shop that did the recore is fixing it, but I drive all over and will not take a chance when 200 miles from home.
The leak was minor and ran 150 miles home with no issue..
Old 07-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Marlon
Instructor

Originally Posted by redcruz1120
Was it Two stops?? I had the same issue with mine but then I realized I was trying to pull the cap off at the first stop.It took me extra effort to press down again and go to the second stop. once I did , the spring on the cap pushed the the cap off....
YES! I did have to press down really firmly and twist to the left simultaneously to get the cap to clear the final stops!!! But the neck was slightly elliptical and I had to slightly re-shape it - no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To De Witts Radiator neck issue

Quick Reply: De Witts Radiator neck issue