C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Electrical problems! GEN Light on and battery gague out

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:53 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1979 Electrical problems! GEN Light on and battery gague out

Hello,

I am new to the world of corvettes. Last week I bought a 1979 Corvette and have been fixing little things here and there: the automatic door locks, horn, interior lights, clock, and one of the dashboard blinkers did not work. Last night I pulled the fuses one at a time and checked to see if they were blown. One was, I believe the CTSY, and so I replaced it. The lights and horn worked and I was very pleased, although the door locks, dashboard light, and clock were still broken.

Today I took the car for a spin and was surprised that the GEN light was on. The battery gauge, which used to read pretty much full as the previous guy just recently replaced the battery, was at zero.
Everything else ran like normal. I had to go back to work but I don't think the interior lights are going on anymore.

I think the car has more than a few electrical issues as the panic horn goes off when you lock the driver door. I don't know what to do about this. Does this mean that I just have a blown fuse again, or something worse? I don't think the car should have started if the battery was out... What is happening?

Last edited by clypsedra; 05-24-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:19 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

start with a visual inspection of the large wire attached with a nut and the two smaller wires in a plug on the alternator. With the engine running you should have at least 13 volts at the large wire.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 PM
clevan barclay
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

do no harm! Start at the battery.

Last edited by clevan barclay; 05-25-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:45 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The standard '79 factory alarm is armed by locking the driver door with the key. If the tops are not installed, or a door/hood open the alarm horn will sound. If it sounds anytime you lock the driver door with the key there is a problem in the system. To disable the system and prevent it from running down the battery (such will happen if you simply disconnect the alarm horn) disconnect the relay in the center console just ahead of the shifter. The connector is on the driver side of the console and can be accessed by simply removing the carpeted trim panel (three screws front, center and rear).
Old 05-30-2017, 11:10 AM
clypsedra
Advanced

I have spent some time poking around, and I really can't figure out where the problem is so far. I am letting my electrical engineer of a fiance look over the electrical schematics for the car. This all stemmed from replacing the CTSY fuse, but none of the fuses have blown since. The GEN light only comes on after driving around for a bit, but the tachometer and battery gauge are still not working the whole time. I noticed that the tachometer will slowly rise as I am driving - barely making it above 0 - but as soon as the GEN light comes on it falls back below 0. Not sure what is happening.

So, the GEN light comes on while driving, the seatbelt not being buckled does not give an alarm when the engine is on anymore, the dash lights don't go on at all (except the blinkers), the dial for the dash lights doesn't work but DOES make the seatbelt noise when you try to twist it, and the tachometer and battery gauge don't work at all. Wish I had never tried replacing that fuse....

The wires by the fuse box didn't get loosened like I originally thought, and it seems like the distributor is grounded (we thought it might be the issue because the only thing that was replaced in the car was the distributor), although there is a loose metal ground attached to the engine that is not attached to something else - we can't seem to figure out where it is supposed to attach to.

This would be an easier time if SO many things were not broken. I don't know where to start - we keep trying to diagnose individual issues but I feel like the big picture is missing. Any advice?
Old 05-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by clypsedra
I have spent some time poking around, and I really can't figure out where the problem is so far. I am letting my electrical engineer of a fiance look over the electrical schematics for the car. This all stemmed from replacing the CTSY fuse, but none of the fuses have blown since. The GEN light only comes on after driving around for a bit, but the tachometer and battery gauge are still not working the whole time. I noticed that the tachometer will slowly rise as I am driving - barely making it above 0 - but as soon as the GEN light comes on it falls back below 0. Not sure what is happening.

So, the GEN light comes on while driving, the seatbelt not being buckled does not give an alarm when the engine is on anymore, the dash lights don't go on at all (except the blinkers), the dial for the dash lights doesn't work but DOES make the seatbelt noise when you try to twist it, and the tachometer and battery gauge don't work at all. Wish I had never tried replacing that fuse....

The wires by the fuse box didn't get loosened like I originally thought, and it seems like the distributor is grounded (we thought it might be the issue because the only thing that was replaced in the car was the distributor), although there is a loose metal ground attached to the engine that is not attached to something else - we can't seem to figure out where it is supposed to attach to.

This would be an easier time if SO many things were not broken. I don't know where to start - we keep trying to diagnose individual issues but I feel like the big picture is missing. Any advice?
Have you checked and cleaned the grounds? Especially the instrument panel ground.
Post a photo of the ground that's not connected. Someone will know where it should be.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:36 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

there is a loose metal ground attached to the engine that is not attached to something else - we can't seem to figure out where it is supposed to attach to.[/QUOTE]

Anywhere on the frame
Old 05-30-2017, 02:36 PM
clypsedra
Advanced

I will post a picture of the ground as soon as I get off work and get a chance to look at it.

In the mean time....anybody know of a resource that points out some of the grounds in the car? I don't even know where I could find the instrument panel ground...

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Electrical problems! GEN Light on and battery gague out

Quick Reply: 1979 Electrical problems! GEN Light on and battery gague out