C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed Richmond makes terrible noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 5 speed Richmond makes terrible noises

Hi,

currently I have a C2 from a friend here to do some work on it.
(Yes this is C3 section, but I think the Richmond-mond is more common here).

He had the car at a shop where they put him the 5 speed Richmond in.
The transmission was used, had 3000mls on it from the previous owner.
Because this shop is 200mls away I have to look for all the minor issues, including this one.

Hereīs the problem: When shifting from one to another gear, there is sometimes a terrible sound when the stick reaches the final position. Clutch still pressed you can change this sound by moving the stick a bit forward and backward.
It sounds like a screaming ball bearing at the end of itīs life time.
Or like if you want to put in reverse gear at high speed, but smoother.
The sound disappears after some seconds, and then you canīt bring it back by playing with the stick. You have to go trough the gears and sometimes it will happen again.

Today I checked all the transmission linkage, have to say there is a hurst shifter assembled to the tranny. I put the pin in the shifter, but everything looked within tolerance, even the bolts to limit the stick travel. No tension between the shifter an tranny levers in any gear.

One thing I noticed when he brought the car was that the clutch was wrong set, the throw out bearing was always pressed. I had to adjust the linkage 1" back to get the right travel.
Now I saw a lot of metal shavings all around the clutch fork, seems it comes out the bellhousing. But inside itīs clean.
Clutch and throwout bearing make no noise, so I doubt the root cause its there.
Because with the clutch pressed I can play with the stick and change the screaming.

Maybe the tranny is toasted? Defective bearing inside? Has someone a similar experience?

Last edited by zuendler; 06-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:44 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

All forward gears?
Possible bell housing not indexed to engine block when installed.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I have a RG 4+1 in my 65. It doesn't make any noises as you describe. Seems like you are saying it makes the noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. I would agree possible bell-housing alignment off and/or trashed pilot bearing. Especially if the installer used a needle bearing type pilot bearing.

Tom
Old 06-06-2017, 05:20 PM
zuendler
Pro

Hi,
yes, all forward gears when clutch is depressed.
Trashed pilot bearing would also explain the metal shavings around the clutch fork.
Hm yes, could explain why the noise disappears after some seconds with the clutch depressed. Should happen when the Enginespeed drops to the same speed of the input shaft. Iīll try to rev the engine next time and hear whats happening, thanks
Old 06-06-2017, 07:04 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

do you perhaps have a Centerforce clutch? My ROD 6 speed also makes a bit of a racket at idle. I have indexed my bellhousing, use a pilot "bushing"(not bearing), and checked everything I can think of several times. From reading some other sites I may cut those weights off my centerforce dual friction.... rumor has it they may make a racket.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:26 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

wieghts give it additional clamping force, leave them on.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:25 PM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the Throwout bearing to Me .
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 70LQ4
Sounds like the Throwout bearing to Me .
But he said "Clutch still pressed you can change this sound by moving the stick a bit forward and backward." The bearing is isolated from the input shaft by the retainer so this made me think it's the relationship of the input shaft center-line to the crankshaft center-line.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:32 PM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvette999
But he said "Clutch still pressed you can change this sound by moving the stick a bit forward and backward." The bearing is isolated from the input shaft by the retainer so this made me think it's the relationship of the input shaft center-line to the crankshaft center-line.
Had the same thing happen to My 84 Z-28 back in the day. Started squealing on Monday , couldn't fix it till the weekend had to drive it to work. By Friday night I needed a throwout fork , t-bearing , p-plate , and Trans input retainer sleeve. The spinning T-out bearing wore thru the sleeve , and made all kinds of noise that changed with in gear or not.

He really needs to take it apart and visually check things out, and also verify bellhousing run out.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:20 AM
zuendler
Pro

Thanks for all the input.
Before I drive it the next time Iīll remove the dustcover from the bellhousing and see if there are also metalshavings inside. If so the tranny has to be removed anyway, no matter if the pilot or throwout bearing.

Last edited by zuendler; 06-08-2017 at 03:20 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Grahamred70
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Do a search on the forum, I'm sure this problem has come up before on a Richmond but I can't remember what it was.
Graham
Old 06-08-2017, 09:19 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by zuendler
Thanks for all the input.
Before I drive it the next time Iīll remove the dustcover from the bellhousing and see if there are also metalshavings inside. If so the tranny has to be removed anyway, no matter if the pilot or throwout bearing.
Maybe too obvious, but did they fill it with the proper fluid?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:27 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 70LQ4
Had the same thing happen to My 84 Z-28 back in the day. Started squealing on Monday , couldn't fix it till the weekend had to drive it to work. By Friday night I needed a throwout fork , t-bearing , p-plate , and Trans input retainer sleeve. The spinning T-out bearing wore thru the sleeve , and made all kinds of noise that changed with in gear or not.

He really needs to take it apart and visually check things out, and also verify bellhousing run out.
I see. I hope he reports back with his findings.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

I would GUESS the input shaft bearings due to a miss-alignment..
Old 06-11-2017, 04:59 AM
zuendler
Pro

Ok, after another test drive I can describe it more detailed:
It happens when the previous gear has been pulled out, and you try to put in the next one. Then when the input shaft has to adapt to the new speed.

At this tranny I can hear the reving up or down of the input shaft always, itīs not to loud but a bit unusual in my opinion. Also it makes a rattling sound when car parked and in idle that dissapears when the clutch is depressed. Sounds like my old muncie with 180.000mls on it. (But the muncie had no other issues)

So I guess its the input bearing, because when you shift you put axial load onto it right?
And with pulling the stick harder or softer I can change the sound.
And I believe thatīs what it doesnīt like when itīs worn out.
In this relation it would be interesting to know it the input bearing takes both, the push and pull forces when shifting the forks forward or backward. Does anybody know? If it takes only one direction then it should only appear when shifting the stick forward or backward.

Btw: had already removed the dust cover of the bell housing, found no metal shavings inside. From all the behaviour I can also exclude the throwout bearing now.

Last edited by zuendler; 06-11-2017 at 04:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 5 speed Richmond makes terrible noises

Quick Reply: 5 speed Richmond makes terrible noises