C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Cup washers fell out of diff?

 
Old 06-05-2017, 05:04 PM
  #1  
Highlander1732
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Highlander1732's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Ijamsville Maryland
Posts: 183
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Cup washers fell out of diff?

Thanks in advance. I am working on prepping my new diff for installation in my 1975 and got the mating surfaces on both halves cleaned up and was cleaning the bolts and washers and decided I would remove the stub axles to replaces the seals and inspect the axle ends and install new c clips. I got the small keeper bolt out, the center pin fell out easily, but then two "cup" washers also came out. They look like they may fit under the smaller toothed gears that the center pin slides into as the inside diameter is the same as the pin. My problem is that they came out very easily with just gravity when I turned the assembly, but I didn't see from where and I can't seem to figure out how to get them back in? I don't want to reassemble everything else until I know they are where they are supposed to be.
Attached Images  
Highlander1732 is offline  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:09 PM
  #2  
stingraymax
CF Senior Member
 
stingraymax's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: Belgium /
Posts: 434
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

they are behind the smaller gears as you mention or spider gears.
stingraymax is offline  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:14 PM
  #3  
Highlander1732
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Highlander1732's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Ijamsville Maryland
Posts: 183
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by stingraymax View Post
they are behind the smaller gears as you mention or spider gears.
Yes, thanks for the note. I was just reading that they are the spider gear thrust washers. I can't seem to figure out how to reinstall them though. They came out easily enough when I hand turned the assembly. Any ideas, or do I need to disassemble more items to get access?
Highlander1732 is offline  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:18 PM
  #4  
Solid LT1
CF Senior Member
 
Solid LT1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 5,728
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Yes those cup washer go between the spider gears and the posi case and will fall out when you least need them to....get the case in a position where you can get a washer in...align the spider gear with the cross shaft hole....jamb it in and install the shaft.....rotate posi housing to allow washer access for other gear...push cross shaft out....jamb the final washer in and check cross shaft position making sure you have hole for retainer bolt correctly oriented and get shaft into case....install reatainer bolt with red locktite....your done! You might have to use an aluminum or brass punch to get final washer fully placed behind the gear.
Solid LT1 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Solid LT1:
73racevette (06-05-2017), Highlander1732 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 05:59 PM
  #5  
Highlander1732
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Highlander1732's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Ijamsville Maryland
Posts: 183
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Solid LT1 View Post
Yes those cup washer go between the spider gears and the posi case and will fall out when you least need them to....get the case in a position where you can get a washer in...align the spider gear with the cross shaft hole....jamb it in and install the shaft.....rotate posi housing to allow washer access for other gear...push cross shaft out....jamb the final washer in and check cross shaft position making sure you have hole for retainer bolt correctly oriented and get shaft into case....install reatainer bolt with red locktite....your done! You might have to use an aluminum or brass punch to get final washer fully placed behind the gear.
Thank you Solid! It looks like the best position is the smaller window in the carrier as the spring pack is not in the way. I'm still beside myself wondering how they came out so easily, but are such a bear to get back in. I don't have a brass or aluminum punch, but may try my small steel punch very, very slowly. Any other techniques are appreciated for sure.
Highlander1732 is offline  
Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM
  #6  
Highlander1732
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Highlander1732's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Ijamsville Maryland
Posts: 183
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Highlander1732 View Post
Thanks in advance. I am working on prepping my new diff for installation in my 1975 and got the mating surfaces on both halves cleaned up and was cleaning the bolts and washers and decided I would remove the stub axles to replaces the seals and inspect the axle ends and install new c clips. I got the small keeper bolt out, the center pin fell out easily, but then two "cup" washers also came out. They look like they may fit under the smaller toothed gears that the center pin slides into as the inside diameter is the same as the pin. My problem is that they came out very easily with just gravity when I turned the assembly, but I didn't see from where and I can't seem to figure out how to get them back in? I don't want to reassemble everything else until I know they are where they are supposed to be.
Thanks again Solid. I was able to get them back in fairly easily after a small tap with a small screwdriver got them started. Then I promptly installed my center bolt and the keeper screw to make sure they didn't come back out. I was patting myself on the back with a beer after I noticed I didn't put the axles and c clips back in! Not too bad after I knew what to watch for the second time. I did use some heavy duty marine grease on the axle bearings before I reinstalled them. I don't know if this was a bad thing or not, but I had sprayed the whole thing with a can of brakleen and the bearings were thirsty. Hope it doesn't cause me any issues down the road, but it seemed like the correct thing to do. New seals too. Now I'll button everything up and paint.
Highlander1732 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cup washers fell out of diff?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: