C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan switch or heater/air switch on heater control or ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 04:26 PM
RickDett
Racer

Location: Brigantine NJ. Tell me & I forget, teach me & I may remember, involve me & I learn. B Franklin.
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Fan switch or heater/air switch on heater control or ?

1969 Coupe w a/c:

In the past sometimes I noticed that my a/c compressor would turn on when my fan switch move across or stopped on the 2nd fan speed position even though the climate control was on heat and not on any of the a/c settings. I don’t know how that could happen.

Now after refurbishing, repainting and replacing the lens any time I turn it to any climate setting other than the off position the compressor kicks on. So I’m thinking could it be the fan switch itself or maybe the heater/air conditioning switch on heater control?

Any thoughts?

Rick
Old 06-08-2017, 04:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by RickDett
1969 Coupe w a/c:

In the past sometimes I noticed that my a/c compressor would turn on when my fan switch move across or stopped on the 2nd fan speed position even though the climate control was on heat and not on any of the a/c settings. I don’t know how that could happen.

Now after refurbishing, repainting and replacing the lens any time I turn it to any climate setting other than the off position the compressor kicks on. So I’m thinking could it be the fan switch itself or maybe the heater/air conditioning switch on heater control?

Any thoughts?

Rick
The compressor switch on the heater control has a tiny spring that keeps it open when it's not engaged... is it possible you knocked this tiny spring out of position? The drive lever operated by the thumb wheel pushes this switch to engage it, but if the spring is missing it'll just stay closed all the time. Post back.

The tan wire runs from the pictured switch below and goes to the compressor from the switch, it turns dark green once it leaves the thermo switch in the a/c housing.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-09-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:07 AM
RickDett
Racer

Location: Brigantine NJ. Tell me & I forget, teach me & I may remember, involve me & I learn. B Franklin.
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The compressor switch on the heater control has a tiny spring that keeps it open when it's not engaged... is it possible you knocked this tiny spring out of position?
Willcox, That’s it, it was out of position and alignment. The way that switch bolts on there is a lot of room for error and if it’s not in the exact proper position it won’t have the correct angle to open. My switch would close and not open. See the area circled in the picture below for the excessive area for it to be positioned. My lack of knowledge to know to test it prior to installation caused me some extra work, I assumed it would bolt back together and just work fine. After several attempts to tighten it I finally got the correct position/angle. In the proper working order the 3 a/c positions are that the switch is closed and the rest should be open (compressor off).

Thanks
Rick

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  1.19 MB
Old 06-13-2017, 12:12 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

good deal

Get notified of new replies

To Fan switch or heater/air switch on heater control or ?

Quick Reply: Fan switch or heater/air switch on heater control or ?