Get the last bit of air out from the brake master cylinder. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Get the last bit of air out from the brake master cylinder.

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Get the last bit of air out from the brake master cylinder.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
cagotzmann
CF Senior Member

Default Get the last bit of air out from the brake master cylinder.

Has anyone tried this to get the last bit of air out of the master cylinder.

I bleed my brakes after each track day. So I always try to find better ways to remove all the fluid and air. I pressure bleed all the calipers which requires me to be careful not to let the reservoir go dry. But if it did what would I do. Of course I would be way to lazy to bench bleed the master cylinder so what would be the next best thing to do. After a search on the web this is the most common thing I found.

1. lift the back of the car until the rear of the master cylinder is higher than the front of the master cylinder. Using a level have the bubble towards the rear as shown below.

What does this do. It allows all the air in the cylinder to be trapped against the MC piston seal. When you press the brake pedal the air will be pushed out the bleed hole in the MC. Now it may take a few minutes of slowly pushing all the air out, but it seems to work well.

Here is what it looks like bleeding the MC while still in the car. You can see you need to lift the back very high to get the correct level at the MC.

Here is the video where I found this method. It may be worth a try for those people having a problem getting a firm brake pedal after trying everything.

Part 1
Part 2

Last edited by cagotzmann; 06-11-2017 at 10:51 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cagotzmann For This Useful Post:
69FASTFUN (06-12-2017), BV85 (05-20-2018), ntfday (07-22-2017), RBrid (07-09-2017), sobervette88 (09-17-2018), SpeedRacerMach (07-17-2017), Street Rat (06-12-2017), Techoca (08-27-2018), ZRXGreen (07-06-2018)
Old 06-12-2017, 08:33 AM
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I've used more than my share of brake fluid on my C3. The brake system always works good for a while and then my prop valve light will come on. I want to make sure that I get all of the air out the system next time that I bleed brakes. I appreciate the post. I'll be doing this next time around.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:59 AM
sstocker31
CF Senior Member

This should be a sticky......
The Following User Says Thank You to sstocker31 For This Useful Post:
BV85 (05-20-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Get the last bit of air out from the brake master cylinder.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: