C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 11:10 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Default 1978 wiper motor

Does not work. I have a ground wire a nd a three prong plugs connected. I have power to the center white wire but nothing to the top purple wire or bottom gray wire. When I turn it on I get a click but nothing else.

Other posts I've read talk about a power source on the motor. I have a free open pink wire but I don't see any open terminals anywhere. Am I missing something?
Old 06-12-2017, 03:24 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by biackbenz
Does not work. I have a ground wire a nd a three prong plugs connected. I have power to the center white wire but nothing to the top purple wire or bottom gray wire. When I turn it on I get a click but nothing else.

Other posts I've read talk about a power source on the motor. I have a free open pink wire but I don't see any open terminals anywhere. Am I missing something?
it sounds like you're missing the terminal for the pink wire to go on to.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Where would the pink wire connect? I don't see any open spots or any place on the wiper where it should go. Wire diagram I have only shows the 2 plugs.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:51 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

See this for sale ad from Mark79,80.
Do you have that pink wire coming out of the motor cover?
If not you probably got a replacement wiper motor(I'm assuming this is for your pace car?)
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...per-motor.html
Old 06-12-2017, 04:18 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Where would the pink wire connect? I don't see any open spots or any place on the wiper where it should go. Wire diagram I have only shows the 2 plugs.
The single pink wire is for the wiper delay. It attached to the front of the plastic wiper motor cover and sends a signal to the control unit when the wipers are at their low position. The covers are known to break and only "blank" new covers are available.

The lack of the proper cover WILL NOT prevent the wipers from operating at LO and HI speed. A failed internal controller (it's in the center console ahead of the shifter) can prevent the wipers from working at any setting.

Is the "click" you hear coming from the center console? If so I'd lean to a problem with the relay attached to the interval controller. The sound is a good thing as it points to dirty relay contacts. If you don't want to attempt a relay repair and don't want to buy a new interval controller and (presumably) a used motor cover the vendors sell a "bypass harness" that replaces the module and restores normal wiper operation.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Here is a free copy of the 1978 electrical troubleshooting manual.

Willcox

1973-1982 Wiper Motor Testing.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:24 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys as always. I do not have intermittent wipers - just normal two speed. Will I still have a relay in the console? I don't recall seeing one there but I never really looked either. Been in there to replace window switches and hvac vacuum hoses.

I do not have any pink wires coming out of the cover as the above pictures show. Is the pink wire just for intermittent?

I'm going to try the bench test as shown in the Willcox video which I have watched several times now.

I have power to the white center wire all the time. I get nothing on the purple or gray wires regardless of switch position. but I guess these are grounds so how would I measure them?

I will check when I get home but I think the click that I hear is coming at the motor not the console but I will double check.

I disassembled the switch and the contacts are clean and the indent spring works just fine. I disconnected the wiper bars from the motor to make sure it is not bound up and its not.

this has to be something simple! Wipers worked before I refurbished the engine compartment.

Her is a picture but not sure if this tells you anything. I don't think this is a replacement but I don't know.

Regards all

Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

I guess I forgot to post the link.. .here is the troubleshooting manual.. follow it in detail and you'll figure out your issue. Also.. get a copy of this manual and save it to your hard drive. I had a meeting with the IP dept. here and it seems my manuals are so large they are jacking up the bandwith on the tech site. I may have to host them somewhere else.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...ing_manual.pdf

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-13-2017 at 11:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
biackbenz (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:22 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Thanks this will be a great help. have my brother helping tonight who is good with electric circuits and a meter.

I tried the bench test with the motor still in the car. Connected power to my battery charger to number two, and gounds to #1 & #3 plus connecting the ground to the motor housing.

I get a click in the motor but nothing else.

As discussed above regarding a control relay in the console. I do have one there but I do not feel anything making contact at any time. But as I understand it, this control relay is only for intermittent wipers? I don't think I have intermittent wipers. At least I don't have any dials levers or anything that would adjust the speed. At least I don't see anything and when I cleaned the switch there was a spring and ball bearing to make the indent position of the switch but I did not see anything else that would control anything variable?

I'll add more after tonight's work.

As always, thanks everyone.
Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I guess I forgot to post the link.. .here is the troubleshooting manual.. follow it in detail and you'll figure out your issue. Also.. get a copy of this manual and save it to your hard drive. I had a meeting with the IP dept. here and it seems my manuals are so large they are jacking up the bandwith on the tech site. I may have to host them somewhere else.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/w...ing_manual.pdf
Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

If you have the control module in the center console the car DID come with intermittent wipers.

From the wiper switch alone you may not know it if the intermittent feature isn't working. If the **** turns easily (originally there's an arrow pointing counter-clockwise to indicate less delay) it is the intermittent switch. Also with the intermittent switch you'll find three distinct position above "off" such being "intermittent", "low" and "high". If the intermittent feature alone has a problem it will run constantly at "low" when set to the first position above "off".
Old 06-14-2017, 11:59 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Thanks this will be a great help. have my brother helping tonight who is good with electric circuits and a meter.

I tried the bench test with the motor still in the car. Connected power to my battery charger to number two, and gounds to #1 & #3 plus connecting the ground to the motor housing.

I get a click in the motor but nothing else.

As discussed above regarding a control relay in the console. I do have one there but I do not feel anything making contact at any time. But as I understand it, this control relay is only for intermittent wipers? I don't think I have intermittent wipers. At least I don't have any dials levers or anything that would adjust the speed. At least I don't see anything and when I cleaned the switch there was a spring and ball bearing to make the indent position of the switch but I did not see anything else that would control anything variable?

I'll add more after tonight's work.

As always, thanks everyone.
The best thing you can do is remove all the wires from the motor.... Even the ground.

Then remove the bell crank from the inside section of the motor to the arms.

Then run a test ground to the motor, then run two more grounds to the 1 and 3 connector.... Then apply power to the motor and see if it runs... if it doesn't run, the motor is shot.

Willcox

Old 06-14-2017, 08:16 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Default It works!

With some help from my brother who is very handy with a meter and understands circuitry we verified that I do have power to the motor. The two ground wires have continuity and after removing the cover see that the click is the solenoid pulling in the switch. We removed the motor from the car and disassembled the switch somewhat. Found that the solenoid or relay was pulling in the contact piece but it was not making contact with the other point. It appears that this switch got hot and melted the plastic holder moving the contact away from the other moving point thereby not completing the circuit. We bent the piece over a bit, reassembled the motor and it now works

When I told him we needed to take it apart again so I could post pictures on the CF - well lets just say that I don't have pictures.

We'll see how long this fix lasts. I hope its permanent but I doubt it. This is the second electrical item I have found in the car that has heat melt. The antenna relay was totally fried. I have no idea what some PO ran into that caused these meltdowns and only hope I found the last of it.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 wiper motor

Quick Reply: 1978 wiper motor