C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Frozen Tilt Steering Pivot Pin

Old 06-16-2017, 05:24 PM
dinodon51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1980 Frozen Tilt Steering Pivot Pin

In an attempt to solve my broken ignition actuator rack I have hit what may be an insurmountable road block. The tilt steering pivot pin on the right has frozen in place. The left came out fine with the little press tool. However, the right has broke the tool tip and after several hours I drilled the hole and re-tapped it. Then I broke the next tool. I went to youtube and tried the slide hammer technique and it just popped the bolt out of the pivot pin. At this point I am open to anything, including destruction of the knuckle it is in if necessary to get the pin out. I can't seem to drill the center hole to a larger diameter because it seems to be made of some very hard tool steel. Are there any suggestions short of pulling the column and taking it to a machine shop?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:27 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 878 Likes on 763 Posts

Some pictures may be helpful if you want ideas from the crowd.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:10 PM
dinodon51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
Some pictures may be helpful if you want ideas from the crowd.
After many hours I was finally able to get the bugger out but not after ruining the pivot pin. Now to get a new one.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Frozen Tilt Steering Pivot Pin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1980 Frozen Tilt Steering Pivot Pin