C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil capacity ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:43 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Default oil capacity ?

Hi there

I have 383 sbc, with a wide deep bottom oil pan, one that takes 7 quarts, when changing my engine oil today, i can only get back in 5 litres(4.4 quarts) and its already showing a little over the max mark on the oil dipstick, so either the dipstick marks are incorrect? or there is still 2.6 quarts left in engine after draining the oil out? is that possible?

anyone with some idea's??

thanks for any help

dave
Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

did you change the filter?? That would account for at least one of the quarts.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:46 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

How much came out of the engine when you drained it?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:30 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlpskydive
did you change the filter?? That would account for at least one of the quarts.
yes new filter
Old 06-17-2017, 05:31 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
How much came out of the engine when you drained it?
good question, i would have to meassure that
Old 06-17-2017, 05:33 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

interms of the max mark on the dip stick, its exactly 2 inches from the bottom of stick, is that the same for everyone else??
Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettedave383
interms of the max mark on the dip stick, its exactly 2 inches from the bottom of stick, is that the same for everyone else??
That measurement does not matter ...because if the tube that you slide the dipstick into is a different length...that would change the point on the oil dip stick that would tell you that you have it correctly filled.

Also the length of the dipstick itself in relation to the area that seats against the top of the tube that the dipstick slides into.

I can say that from my experiences...a vast majority of the aftermarket chrome oil dipsticks are wrong and worthless. When you add in having a larger pan...that add to it also.

To prevent the oil pan being over filled. I would generally check to make sure everything is correct BEFORE I put on a larger volume pan.

If I am having to assemble an engine where the owner brings me parts..that is when I have to check the oil dipstick when the oil pan is off to make sure it is correct.

DUB
Old 06-18-2017, 12:22 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

For 20 years I had a big Moroso oil pan n my 79.
Was sure it was 7 qt., couldn't figure out why I could only get in 6 when changing oil.
Went back to stock several years ago and upon draining and removing the pan was surprised to find a full quart in the bottom of the pan.
After thinking about it for a minute it made sense. The drain plug was a good 1/2" up from the bottom. That big flat bottom had a 1/2" of oil in it.
Name:  pigpan.jpg
Views: 3189
Size:  113.4 KB

It was lower in the rear too............
Name:  oilpan2.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  85.2 KB

Last edited by KapsSA; 06-18-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:42 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi there

I have 383 sbc, with a wide deep bottom oil pan, one that takes 7 quarts, when changing my engine oil today, i can only get back in 5 litres(4.4 quarts) and its already showing a little over the max mark on the oil dipstick, so either the dipstick marks are incorrect? or there is still 2.6 quarts left in engine after draining the oil out? is that possible?

anyone with some idea's??

thanks for any help

dave
Your problem isn't the oil pan or dipstick. It's your liters to quarts conversion.
5 liters = 5.28 US quarts
Old 06-18-2017, 02:34 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Many thanks guys for info and help, worked out my issues, the dipstick and dipstick tube are not matched, so ie the full markings on dipstick are too low down, found out on other forums, that the crank sits about 4 inch into the sump and measurement from the block deck to the full mark on dipstick should be 10.7 to 11 inch, so once i did that measurement, clearly see my issue , new mark on dipstick and ive managed to get in 7 litres - 7.4 quarts, the extra 0.4 in the oil filter, i have a 7 quart oil pan, so works out perfect and the measurements show iam not overfilling it, thanks for all the help

Last edited by corvettedave383; 06-18-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Many thanks guys for info and help, worked out my issues, the dipstick and dipstick tube are not matched, so ie the full markings on dipstick are too low down, found out on other forums, that the crank sits about 4 inch into the sump and measurement from the block deck to the full mark on dipstick should be 10.7 to 11 inch, so once i did that measurement, clearly see my issue , new mark on dipstick and ive managed to get in 7 litres - 7.4 quarts, the extra 0.4 in the oil filter, i have a 7 quart oil pan, so works out perfect and the measurements show iam not overfilling it, thanks for all the help
Dave you could have got your answer on this from our CCCUK forum! - I had all sorts of issues from overfilling the oil on my stroker BBC engine - oill was being pumped out of the engine on acceleration AND deceleration - it was an aftermarket type oil pan so should have been ok. It was only when I compared stock dipstick and tube with the aftermarket item that came with the oil pan I realised that there was a significant difference in heights of the 'full' mark. I was effectively overfilling the engine will oil - used a correctly referenced Lokar dipstick and tube and problems went away.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM
corvettedave383
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Dave you could have got your answer on this from our CCCUK forum! - I had all sorts of issues from overfilling the oil on my stroker BBC engine - oill was being pumped out of the engine on acceleration AND deceleration - it was an aftermarket type oil pan so should have been ok. It was only when I compared stock dipstick and tube with the aftermarket item that came with the oil pan I realised that there was a significant difference in heights of the 'full' mark. I was effectively overfilling the engine will oil - used a correctly referenced Lokar dipstick and tube and problems went away.
ahh thanks ross, good to know!

Get notified of new replies

To oil capacity ?

Quick Reply: oil capacity ?