C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley 9895 spread bore carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:44 PM
kaervek71
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Holley 9895 spread bore carb

I've searched all day for any information about this carb and have come up empty. It's a spread bore carb, 650 cfm. I've rebuilt plenty of holley carbs in the past, but never really messed with spread bore carbs too much. I figured at around $100 investment, carb plus rebuild kit, I might as well educate myself and learn to rebuild this thing.

Does anyone know much about this particular model, like rebuild specs, maybe a parts diagram, anything really. I have fuel loading in the bowls and seemingly not getting any further than that with this carb after a fresh rebuild. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:40 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

this is the link to Holleys site where you can find out the answer to all your specific questions. It's not too clear in your first paragraph you talk about learning to rebuild it and your second paragraph you indicate it has been rebuilt. The rebuild kits typically come with instruction sheets that should have included how to adjust the floats.
Are you running too much fuel pressure, 6 to 7 max?

http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...al_listing.pdf
Old 06-17-2017, 06:29 PM
kaervek71
Cruising

Originally Posted by MelWff
this is the link to Holleys site where you can find out the answer to all your specific questions. It's not too clear in your first paragraph you talk about learning to rebuild it and your second paragraph you indicate it has been rebuilt. The rebuild kits typically come with instruction sheets that should have included how to adjust the floats.
Are you running too much fuel pressure, 6 to 7 max?

http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...al_listing.pdf
Sorry about not being very clear in my first post. I went by the specs I could find for the carb, which was rather limited. My quick fuel rebuild kit didn't come with any instructions and I had found some resources online about how to rebuild the carb, which I followed. As for fuel pressure, I'm running a stock pump. I did go back and check some other things after my post and found that the accelerator pump was way out of adjustment. I adjusted it a bit and the fuel leak slowed down dramatically but not completely.

I also found a couple of the float bowl screws to be a bit loose, which explains why the carb wasn't working at all to begin with. However, it still has some leakage that I'm not crazy about. I am not sure I'm going to stay with this carb as I have a square bore intake and have to use the adapter to mount this carb. Even though my hood will clear the intake and carb just fine, I am really not sold on using an adapter plate for a carb.

On the bright side of things, the motor was finally started for the first time since the rebuild at least, lol.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:04 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

It's a little different than a standard Holly and takes some different parts. I had trouble with mine flooding the engine on hard stops. There are fuel diverter tubes for regular Holly's, that wouldn't fit on this carb. If I dropped the float level it seemed to run out of gas on a long wot run. I changed it out to the original q-jet and it runs well now.
When I researched this carb, I found a lot of negative reviews.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:11 PM
kaervek71
Cruising

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
It's a little different than a standard Holly and takes some different parts. I had trouble with mine flooding the engine on hard stops. There are fuel diverter tubes for regular Holly's, that wouldn't fit on this carb. If I dropped the float level it seemed to run out of gas on a long wot run. I changed it out to the original q-jet and it runs well now.
When I researched this carb, I found a lot of negative reviews.
I've been reading a lot of negative reviews about this carb too. I think I'm going to replace it with a square bore carb so I can get rid of the adapter plate on my intake. I pulled both float bowls off the carb earlier after my first post about this and verified I had the floats set correctly, which they were. It's still leaking fuel around the accelerator pump, but not as bad as it was. It at least started the motor for me, which was my main goal for today.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I've rebuilt and set up quite a few of them. The 9895 is a 4175 model, which is a vacuum secondary carb designed as a direct replacement for a Q-Jet. It is a standard Holley side-hung float design utilizing a secondary metering plate rather than a secondary metering block. Other than the spread-bore design, it is no different than any other side-hung vacuum secondary Holley, and there are no special tricks or instructions needed to set one up. Floats are set level, and you need to crack the secondary idle speed open enough to allow the primary idle speed to be set to a transition slot exposure of .020. Just like any other Holley. It has the same accel pump leakage problems as all Holleys, and shares all other advantages and disadvantages. Nothing special about it. They can be set up to run just fine. The 4165 is the same carb, but with mechanical secondaries and a secondary accel pump.

Lars

Get notified of new replies

To Holley 9895 spread bore carb

Quick Reply: Holley 9895 spread bore carb