C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Vapor Canister

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:51 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Fuel Vapor Canister

I just realized my 73 is missing the fuel vapor canister the only thing that is still there is the line running up the left side frame and the small hose and clamp zip tied to the frame up front.Can anyone tell me the items i'm missing besides the canister and mounting bracket and how the whole thing gets connected would really appreciate any help you can offer.
I received some good info on my head lite problem just haven't had the time to work on the car again.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Hi Pats,
Below is a photo of the top of the correct canister for your 73. These aren't sold by any of the vendors for the 73 with this exact top. They sell the canister for the 74 which only has two ports on the top. You may need to search the internet for one. Good luck. If you find one it may need restored. You'll need four different size hoses to properly connect it to your carb. You will also need the correct PCV valve too. You'll need the type with the T at the top not the L type(2nd photo).The top of the canister is marked to let you know where each hose is to be connected. The one to the tank line must be a fuel vapor hose. You'll need the smaller vacuum hose to go from the cannister up to the left front vacuum port on the carb. Then a 1/4 inch hose from the cannister up to the pcv valve T. Then a 3/8 in hose from the other side of the pcv T to the large vacuum port on the right front side of the carb. Pictures attached.
You'll also need to make sure you have the Fuel Seperator valve (4th photo)on the top driver's side of the gas tank. That's what the fuel vapor line running along the frame comes from. If you don't have the vapor canister on your car now, do you have a 'vented gas cap'? If you install the canister again correctly you'll need a 'sealed' gas cap.
The last three photos are from my 73 AIM, just in case you don't have one. They show you everything you'll need to know. (If you don't have the AIM I strongly suggest you purchase one. You'll need to refer to it often for things like this.
Take care,
Tooch
Attached Images        

Last edited by Tooch1; 06-19-2017 at 08:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tooch1:
Alwyn678 (07-20-2023), Omegaspeedy (09-15-2022), Peterbuilt (11-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Fuel Vapor Canister