C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 interior light delay module

Old 06-24-2017, 12:40 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Default 1980 interior light delay module

Went to take the 80 for a late afternoon ride the other day and opened the driver's door and no interior lights. Oh, what a surprise, it's a corvette! They were working fine until they weren't. Everything checked out until I got to the timer delay. The circuit board looked fine, nothing cooked. I jumped out the harness and the lights work, no problem. The Timer delay board is already a replacement board from Willcox and now that's dead.
Any Electronics experts out there with a better board design or replacement module, new cars are full of them. I can't fault Willcox, their board is a replacement to GM's design.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
Went to take the 80 for a late afternoon ride the other day and opened the driver's door and no interior lights. Oh, what a surprise, it's a corvette! They were working fine until they weren't. Everything checked out until I got to the timer delay. The circuit board looked fine, nothing cooked. I jumped out the harness and the lights work, no problem. The Timer delay board is already a replacement board from Willcox and now that's dead.
Any Electronics experts out there with a better board design or replacement module, new cars are full of them. I can't fault Willcox, their board is a replacement to GM's design.
Lectric limited? I forget where I got my board, but its been fine going on 8 years or so.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:28 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Lectric limited? I forget where I got my board, but its been fine going on 8 years or so.
I found one on their web site with a dial on it. I don't believe they are a sponsor, so no link posted. Does yours have the timer dial on it? If this is the one, then the existing harness needs to be cut and spliced into the new timer.

Timer plug - white, black, orange, white and purple
Old 06-26-2017, 12:33 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Looking at the timer board, the only component that I think could cause the problem would be the power mosfet (IRF540). Who can I just get one from? Radio Shack, what's left of them, doesn't stock the 540.

End of thumb - power mosfet
Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackC3vette
I found one on their web site with a dial on it. I don't believe they are a sponsor, so no link posted. Does yours have the timer dial on it? If this is the one, then the existing harness needs to be cut and spliced into the new timer.

Timer plug - white, black, orange, white and purple
No dial. Just direct replacement.

Mosfets? Allied electronics
Old 06-27-2017, 12:03 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
No dial. Just direct replacement.

Mosfets? Allied electronics
Here's the one with a dial, it's edited so the rest of the harness is not shown.

Allied actual will sell one piece {mosfet), they have one rated at 28amps.
Here's why I know the one on the board took a heat hit. Look at the end of the arrow to see the blackened board. No heat sink on the board. I have no hope that the current quality out of China is as good as the one you got 8 years ago. Thank you for the info

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 interior light delay module

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1980 interior light delay module