C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all competitors... Tell us about your events.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:35 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Very cool! Getting FTD at any event is a great achievement, well done. Don't suppose you have any videos of your events? When's your next event?
I'm in the middle of events this weekend. Today I was 3rd or 4th fastest out of 28. I was beating a guy with a 79 who has very wide flares and tires. He has upgrade brakes, suspension and his motor is very stout. I was about 0.5 seconds faster than him. Overall fastest time of teh day was 29.7, there was 1 person who had a 30.9, one who had a 31.1 and then I had a 31.6. We go at it again tomorrow with the same course.

Bad part bout today is I cracked the fiberglass in front of the left front tire. Somehow it is like the tire shifted in the wheel well and the edge caught the fender. Gonna have to repair it one of these days.

I tired to upload a video to Youtube the night i posted these pictures. However, just as the video was at 99% loaded, the computer crashed. I'll try again later.

Here is a video of my 73 which currently needs a new motor. It is set up almost exactly like the 76 but has a 4 speed with 3.36 rear end. This video shows Grissom air base where we run 3-4 times a year.

Last edited by vettehardt; 08-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Got the video of my 76 working. This is at Tire rack a couple of years ago.

Last edited by vettehardt; 08-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

That autocross at Tire Rack looked tight! Nice work. I had a look at couple of your other videos too, that Putnam Park looks like a great little track.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:21 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Yes Putnam Park is a very fun place. It is 1.8 miles, 10 turns with very little to hit. If you have an off, there is plenty of room before getting to anything solid, except the guardrail on the front straight coming out of turn 10.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:48 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Got my first gopro video with the '69 at an autocross yesterday, FTD by just over one second. This is a smaller, local site, but it's less than three miles from home!

Last edited by 69autoXr; 09-11-2017 at 10:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 01:58 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I went to a Test-N-Tune the other night. Ran a 9.10@158.56. Getting enough air under the tires on the 1-2 shift that the announcer could see if from the tower!

JIM

Last edited by 427Hotrod; 09-11-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Metalhead140 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Got my first gopro video with the '69 at an autocross yesterday, FTD by just over one second. This is a smaller, local site, but it's less than three miles from home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI6n7NmsdU0
Looks like a handful! Great driving, thanks for the vid, I enjoyed it a lot. Over a second is huge! What other cars were competing?

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I went to a Test-N-Tune the other night. Ran a 9.10@158.56. Getting enough air under the tires on the 1-2 shift that the announcer could see if from the tower!

JIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbKxR96sfqQ
Thanks Jim, caught this on your other thread. Getting ever closer to that elusive 8s pass! Looks like you could use some better shock control on the front?

----------

On a less fun note, for those of us using our cars as they were intended, may I recommend upgrading those little 7/16" studs. The reason I've been a bit quiet for a while is that I sheared all 5 studs on the front right wheel a few weeks back, fortunately not while I was on a track, and had no real warning before losing the wheel at ~45mph). I was lucky, the damage was not too bad, and the car will be repaired, but I'll be replacing the wheel studs on all 4 corners with larger stronger ones (still debating between 1/2" and 14mm). I was not driving the car at all hard at the time, thankfully, but I can only guess that the sticky tyres and track use must have been a factor in hastening the demise of my nearly 40 year old studs. With hindsight I feel kinda silly that I had replaced almost everything else in the suspension, steering, brakes and drivetrain on the car, but was relying on small 40 year old studs to hold on the wheels, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 09-12-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Looks like a handful! Great driving, thanks for the vid, I enjoyed it a lot. Over a second is huge! What other cars were competing?
The next fastest car was a gutted BMW 325i in the FP class on Hoosier A7's; in my class (BP) directly were a FFR Cobra kit car also on Hoosiers and a '92 Vette with engine mods on BFG Rival S. Most of the cars in attendance were on Rival S or Bridgestone RE-71R's. Others were a C6 Z06, a pair of fast drivers in a Mini Cooper, and a screaming '11 BMW M3 rounded out the top six on raw time.

Regarding wheel studs, yes if I ever have to replace my front hubs and rear spindles again I would likely upgrade to 1/2" (or 12 mm to be common with my C5Z), but I have had great luck to date with Moroso extended length 7/16" studs. Had to ream the holes to fit the slightly larger knurl.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:39 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Another video, from this past Sunday.

Metalhead140 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:24 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Resurrecting this thread...

I'm running the NSW state hillclimb championship this year. Pretty much just a sighter year, as I've never run most of the tracks before, but it's been a ton of fun so far. For rounds 1 and 2 last month I got to run at Mt Panorama! Undoubtedly one of the greatest race tracks in the world. I was slow... Think I was a bit overwhelmed by the place, there's no run off, lots of big walls, and every corner is blind. I kinda drove like a grandma! Still, it was an awesome experience, and I can't wait to go back and drive there again.

Then last weekend was round 3 at Fairbairn Park in Canberra. It was a freezing day! Again, I hadn't been to this track before, but it's a really great fun little track. Unfortunately the car was well down on power after the first couple of runs - an exhaust leak caused the fuel injection to run very rich, and I didn't have the handset with me to adjust the tune to compensate. Still, had fun, came 4th out of 10 cars in class, and beat several Skylines, an Alfa 4C and some other nice machinery. I also met craigh from the forum who took these pics!:

Anybody else been out competing in their Vettes?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:54 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Nice photos and videos. Thanks for sharing.
It looks like a blast.
Good luck and keep the rubber side down.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:03 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Not yet...Sunday. Local event last Sunday was cancelled due to ice, hasn't been much of a spring here this year. I haven't even started my car yet this season.

That Hillclimb looks awesome - better not make a mistake though! That small track looks like a blast as well.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:23 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

As Chris said, not much good weather here yet. Our first Indiana region event isn't until June 2&3 at Putnam Park. I also have to do quite a bit of work on my 76 to get it back running. I have power steering, transmission, and oil leaks i need to fix. Also need to check things out in the rear end as something feels funny there.

I did however buy a mostly stock '91 last fall and had it at The Tire Rack for very cold event. Started day at 22*F and only topped out at 35*F. Took the street tire overall FTD for 1 of the 7 events beating a C5Z06. He then went out and got 1 second quicker. I was more than 1 second faster than any other C4 out there that day. Then had some brake issues with the pin that holds the brake pads in the bracket kept popping out. Didn't even make my last 2 runs because of it. Hopefully I fixed it by putting on new brackets.

I will most likely be running the 91 this year as there is more competition in that class. The 76 will make it out at least once though.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 PM
CA_WxMan
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I did the NMCA West Auto-X event last weekend in Fontana.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...il-15-a-2.html

It was only my fourth time doing autocross, but I'm having a blast and learning a bit more each time.

The Classic Muscle class is a rough one that has some really fast drivers and purpose built cars, so I don't expect to finish on top, but I want to keep narrowing the gap a little each time.

Like I said, I'm really enjoying it. In fact, I'm considering turning either my '75 convertible (My project car) or my old '78 C10 stepside into an autocross rig, so that I can keep the '71 more for cruises and weekend drives.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:54 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Nice photos and videos. Thanks for sharing.
It looks like a blast.
Good luck and keep the rubber side down.
Thanks! It is a blast.

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
Not yet...Sunday. Local event last Sunday was cancelled due to ice, hasn't been much of a spring here this year. I haven't even started my car yet this season.

That Hillclimb looks awesome - better not make a mistake though! That small track looks like a blast as well.
Get some pictures or video for us on Sunday! Here I am complaining about the weather, but we get to race year round... I shouldn't complain! Obviously we're coming into winter here, but I still have 2 events in the next month.

Yeh, it was awesome! But self preservation did slow me down somewhat... It (Bathurst, or Mt Panorama) is a public road most of the year, there's not many chances to compete there, so it was very special even if it wasn't the full circuit.

Originally Posted by vettehardt
As Chris said, not much good weather here yet. Our first Indiana region event isn't until June 2&3 at Putnam Park. I also have to do quite a bit of work on my 76 to get it back running. I have power steering, transmission, and oil leaks i need to fix. Also need to check things out in the rear end as something feels funny there.

I did however buy a mostly stock '91 last fall and had it at The Tire Rack for very cold event. Started day at 22*F and only topped out at 35*F. Took the street tire overall FTD for 1 of the 7 events beating a C5Z06. He then went out and got 1 second quicker. I was more than 1 second faster than any other C4 out there that day. Then had some brake issues with the pin that holds the brake pads in the bracket kept popping out. Didn't even make my last 2 runs because of it. Hopefully I fixed it by putting on new brackets.

I will most likely be running the 91 this year as there is more competition in that class. The 76 will make it out at least once though.
Cool, keep us updated! I do feel stupid for whinging about our weather now!

Originally Posted by CA_WxMan
I did the NMCA West Auto-X event last weekend in Fontana.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...il-15-a-2.html

It was only my fourth time doing autocross, but I'm having a blast and learning a bit more each time.

The Classic Muscle class is a rough one that has some really fast drivers and purpose built cars, so I don't expect to finish on top, but I want to keep narrowing the gap a little each time.

Like I said, I'm really enjoying it. In fact, I'm considering turning either my '75 convertible (My project car) or my old '78 C10 stepside into an autocross rig, so that I can keep the '71 more for cruises and weekend drives.
Very good! I know what you mean about classes - the hillclimb class that I'm running in is for all road registered 2wd cars over 2.5L... Pretty big catch-all class there! I'm considering running the supersprint (lap dash) championship next year, but I'll end up in the time attack class against some very seriously modified machinery... Still, you don't need to win to be having fun!
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Couple of videos from this year. Still need to download a few off the camera.

One in my C5Z...

Last edited by 69autoXr; 08-16-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Metalhead140 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:58 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Very cool.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Jim I could swear that front end came up when you hit 3rd! Anyone else notice that

Other than test n tune, nada. Wouldnt mind doing a roadcourse but know its addictive and dont have the means to scratch that itch!

Last edited by cv67; 08-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Good to see this get bumped up again!

I won my class (road registered 2wd over 2500cc) at the latest state hillclimb round this past weekend, narrowly beating out a VF HSV GTS Commodore that has been beating me at almost all events this year (think Chevy SS with effectively ZL1 mechanicals - supercharged LSA engine, magnetic shocks, big brakes etc).

The weekend before I was fastest outright at a khanacross held using our local hillclimb track:

A few weeks before that was a local hillclimb event where I broke my previous class lap record for this layout by nearly 1.5s:

Prior to that was the state round at the local track, where I came 4th in class in some of the closest competition I've run in. I was running 2nd almost all day...:

And there were a few more events before that... Can look on youtube if you’re interested. It's been a good year for competing in plenty of events!

Last edited by Metalhead140; 08-21-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Calling all competitors... Tell us about your events.