C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Oil Pans, Baffles, Windage Screens: Oh My!

Old 07-06-2017, 04:37 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default C3 Oil Pans, Baffles, Windage Screens: Oh My!

Can some of the fine folks on CF help learn me about oil pans?

OEM Pans:
  • L48 oil pans: full length baffle, not much else to see. 4 qt capacity? driver's side dipstick; does NOT work with L82 windage tray installed

• L82: sump baffle and windage tray attached to bottom of mains; driver's side. 4 qt capacity? Picture of windage tray:

Aftermarket Pan Features:
  • Extended capacity
  • Scrapers and windage trays available
  • Street / Strip, full drag, and road racing designs available
  • May introduce fitament issues- check carefully
  • Many options pre-clearanced for stroker motors

How much performance do we stand to gain with baffles and scrapers and windage trays etc?? (Say a 450 hp motor, 6,200 RPM rev limit)

If you buy a pan with windage trays and scrapers that's designed to accomodate a stroker and install it on a stock 350 bottom-end do you still end up with more windage because the screen is further from the bottom of the crank?

Do you have to buy a new pickup when you buy a new oil pan? Do these things need to be welded in place?

What else should I know?
-I've got the opportunity to get a beautiful orange-painted Moroso 20191 (5 years old but never installed) for $100 but I just don't know what I'm getting myself into. My current pan needs a gasket and a stroker kit is in my eventual future and this pan should work with the 383 crank and 6" rods....

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 07-06-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:48 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Regarding perf improvements, many of the folks on Speed Talk are saying a big oil pan with kickouts and no windage tray is simple and works.

Here's Joe Sherman's take from Feb 2007, anyway:

"I have tested lots of pans on the dyno, but I do not know what happens in a drag car going down the drag strip.I do know that oil pans that have a kickout down the passenger side will show big HP gains on the dyno. The best tip I ever found is run the littlest amount of oil you engine can get by with. I have seen where just draining out three quarts of oil from a large boat pan picked up 35 HP atr 7000 RPM. By the way, almost all gains are at high RPM ( 7000 and up)On the dyno ,I have not seen any improvement untill at least 6500 RPM. On street engines I make, I use a larger sump type pan, and do not add any trays that dont come with the pan. This is for engines up to 550 HP. JOE SHERMAN RACING"

Adam
Old 07-06-2017, 05:16 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

450hp @6200rpm you might pickup 10hp or so will fully optimized oil control.

But...with a street driven car your at 6200 rpm for about less then a tiny fraction of 1/10% of the time. So your looking at an extra 10hp for maybe a few seconds each day.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:54 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Regardless of what oil pan/windage tray/screen/scraper you have, you need the correct pickup for the pan. And the pickup screen needs to be positioned so it will be covered in oil at all times. I just set up my new one at 3/8 off the floor of the pan. I use locktite around the tube, drive it in and tack weld so it's not coming out.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I have taken large sumps OFF of corvettes because they hung below everything else. One good speed bump, and its bye bye pan.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I have a 7 qt oil pan that doesn't hang down at all and is definitely not the lowest thing on the car. Canton makes it, and it came with a windage tray, trap doors, and a mild crank scraper.

Don't know if it gained me any HP, but I installed it to provide extra insurance against oil starvation while cornering hard.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Jason Staley
I have a 7 qt oil pan that doesn't hang down at all and is definitely not the lowest thing on the car. Canton makes it, and it came with a windage tray, trap doors, and a mild crank scraper.

Don't know if it gained me any HP, but I installed it to provide extra insurance against oil starvation while cornering hard.

Looks good. In my opinion that's the main reason to fit such a pan too, insurance against the pickup sucking air. I have a High Energy brand sump, specifically intended for fitment of sbc into Holden Torana, but I had it and it fits the car so I'm using it for now. Not the top of the market, but has kickouts, scraper, and windage tray. I did find that it limited my oil filter choice - I prefer to run the large truck size filter for increased filter area/capacity. I found that most brand truck size filters won't fit (without a filter relocation) due to the kickouts on the sump, but a Wix brand filter is slightly shorter and will fit. Not a big drama, just means I need to order a bunch of filters from Summit every now and then as Wix are not available local to me. Does your sump have that issue?

Last edited by Metalhead140; 07-06-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Staley

Only 7" tall. That's cool.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Looks good. In my opinion that's the main reason to fit such a pan too, insurance against the pickup sucking air. I have a High Energy brand sump, specifically intended for fitment of sbc into Holden Torana, but I had it and it fits the car so I'm using it for now. Not the top of the market, but has kickouts, scraper, and windage tray. I did find that it limited my oil filter choice - I prefer to run the large truck size filter for increased filter area/capacity. I found that most brand truck size filters won't fit (without a filter relocation) due to the kickouts on the sump, but a Wix brand filter is slightly shorter and will fit. Not a big drama, just means I need to order a bunch of filters from Summit every now and then as Wix are not available local to me. Does your sump have that issue?
I run the shorter filter, but I don't believe there would be any issue using the longer truck type filter with the pan. I tend to change out the oil and filter quite often as a little bit of insurance for when I'm out on track. I also run 8 qts in it too, which helps keep the oil pressure from dropping in long turns.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Fair enough. I noticed after posting that the winged area doesn't appear to extend back under the filter area, which is a nice touch! I guess it's not that big a deal, as a lot of people don't seem to use the larger filter. I just figure that the larger filter area ensures better flow, less pressure drop etc and given that it's basically the same price as the small filter anyway, that there's no real downside.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Totally understand the higher flow idea. I'm going to step up to a CM filter with a replaceable filter element like this hopefully this winter. I already have it in the garage, just haven't switched to it yet. It has an 8 micron filter that flows 15 gpm with no loss of oil pressure.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Nice! I haven't seen/heard of those before. Link?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:23 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/

Used one for years.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Oil Pans, Baffles, Windage Screens: Oh My!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 Oil Pans, Baffles, Windage Screens: Oh My!