C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 PM
80/vette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake bleeding

I just installed both front calipers and in the process didnt notice the mc resovoir went practically dry. I've read around that I just need to bleed the front brakes while others say that I'll need to start with flushing the MC. What do I do?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd start simple. Add brake fluid and bleed the brakes. See if that does it. If not, then you can remove the master cylinder and bench bleed it, reinstall and bleed the brakes from back to front. I don't remember the proper sequence so you'll have to look that one up. The rear calipers have 2 bleeders apiece so make sure you're doing the correct procedure if you have to go that far. Good luck. I hope it's the simple route for you.
Duane
The following users liked this post:
80/vette (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 05:57 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 80/vette
I just installed both front calipers and in the process didnt notice the mc resovoir went practically dry. I've read around that I just need to bleed the front brakes while others say that I'll need to start with flushing the MC. What do I do?
It is a good idea to drain the front brake reservoir you are working on with a turkey baster and clean it of any debris while you are working there. No need to flush the rear reservoir. Once it is clean, fill the reservoir with DOT 3 brake fluid and move to bleeding the front brake lines. There are several way to do this, but you can go to your local auto parts supplier and borrow a vacuum pump bleeder kit. Most parts suppliers have them on loan, pay for it and get your money back on return.

With the passenger side bleeder valve open, attach the vacuum pump and vacuum the fluid from the master reservoir to your caliper. When only brake fluid comes out of the bleeder, close the valve and move to the driver side, you have finished that side. Check and fill the reservoir before bleeding that side.

I have used the vacuum pump several time with poor results, so I made a pressure bleeder out of a scrap steel plate, gasket material and some clamps. I have a hole drilled through and threaded for an air nipple to my compressor. With about 10 psi applied to the reservoir fluid, it bleeds the lines in short order and no messing around with pumps that leak. It basically does the opposite of the pump, but with much more positive pressure. Good luck, it really isn't very difficult once you get a system to work.

Last edited by Red 69; 07-17-2017 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
80/vette (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 06:10 PM
80/vette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear there can be the simple route taken first. Will post with updates!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:41 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 80/vette
Try this first.

I did they same as you. Bleed more than required and emptied the MC.

This worked very well to get every last bit of air in the MC.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cylinder.html

Get notified of new replies

To Brake bleeding

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding