C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnout for a beginner

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by alan 71
doing burnouts can break something that would not have broken in ordinary driving.
So you might need to be ready for an unexpected expense.
^^^this^^^
Old 07-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cromwell74
Hello!

If you are at a car show and want to join a burnout show...is there a gently way to do a burnout?
The car has a 300hp engine.

1.Should you have gearselector in pos. 1?
2.Is it best to first press down the brakepedal and then press accelerator slowly down?
And definitely do not be engaged in a turn with the rubber burning as you'll likely swing the back end around and end up doing a 180. They're fun as heck but take practice grasshopper.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:37 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Horsepower
Old 07-11-2017, 05:38 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

The key thing is to not let the speed build. Notice the guys that loose control are all accelerating very rapidly. They have too much traction or start from a rolling start. If it starts to accelerate then get out of the throttle. Keep the inertia of the car low and it's controllable.

If you do it in a turn, start from a dead stop. Crank the wheel over and hammer the throttle. The mistake most people make is not allowing for enough room for the car to swing and getting shocked by the noise and letting off the throttle which lets the tires hook and will launch you in the direction it's pointed when it happens. followed by over correction and loss of control if going any speed at all.
Give yourself room and commit to holding the throttle down and the steering hard over as long as the tires are spinning. As long as they are spinning the circle will be tight and the corvette does a really nice small 360 circle that will continue as long as the tires spin.
If they are not spinning or do not spin enough get off the throttle immediately before speed builds.
If you lack enough power to spin the tires by just hammering the throttle then come up on the throttle a bit with the brake held. Then floor the throttle while simultaneously releasing the brake with the steering full over.

Lots of space, no obstacles, and no people anywhere close or in your open space, for practice. A track is a great place for it.

Of course stuff can break or bend. That lets you know what the weak points are I guess. On a well maintained car it won't be and issue.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:34 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
Why would anybody in there right mind set up a autocross course in a parking lot brimming with trees!
That's a good question. The whole idea in using a parking lot for autocross is having a nice big open area so if a car does spin out, the only thing it will hit is cones. No one gets hurt.

Mike
Old 07-12-2017, 06:44 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default indeed

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi c74,
Some times on old cars, (and even on new cars), doing burnouts can break something that would not have broken in ordinary driving.
Regards,
Alan

Many folks learned this when they were 16….. and there was money to put gas it it but really no money for repairs that required new parts.
You seem to be reading my mind.

I used to have a 1969 Chevelle SS 396. 4 speed. It wasn't a show car but it was the hands down king of all burnout machines. When I was in my 20's it wasn't even a question of 'should I ?' it was a given. Plus I had a pretty bulletproof machine to do it with.

Somehow 30 years later I just can't bring myself to light up my C3 for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Must be age.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Many folks learned this when they were 16…..
Some NEVER learn. I am not into burnouts just for the sake of making smoke. It is to heat up the tires, for more traction in a drag race. That said, I have buddies who love it. So, the first day I got my 'Vette, maiden voyage, I dumped the clutch in front of my buddies house, no traffic, no next door neighbor. Got sideways pretty quick, but I figured I could straighten it up once I hit second. Nope. 180 into the ditch. No damage, and escaped around the corner right as the cops were showing up. Lesson learned.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:01 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

Hi c74,
Some times on old cars, (and even on new cars), doing burnouts can break something that would not have broken in ordinary driving.
Regards,
Alan

Many folks learned this when they were 16….. and there was money to put gas it it but really no money for repairs that required new parts.

a 1000%! I have other things to spend my money on my C3.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:08 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I remember being at Corvettes at Carlisle a few years ago when they had their burn out contest. They have an area walled off to the sides and behind with concrete barriers. One of the GM reps took a brand new C6, newest at that time and did a burn out and didn't stop until the tires burned completely off. Steel belts thrashing around tore up the wheel wells made a mess of the new car breaking fiberglass.

I guess he knew how to do it but I'm not sure how it is done.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:11 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Here is how NOT to do it. Burning the clutch out seeing smoke but no tire rotation:

Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

in the old days when dinosaurs roamed, we poured bleach under the tires on cars with not much HP when we wanted a burnout.... they spin like crazy and smoke like hell..important..DON T BREATHE the smoke
Old 07-12-2017, 08:32 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
in the old days when dinosaurs roamed, we poured bleach under the tires on cars with not much HP when we wanted a burnout.... they spin like crazy and smoke like hell..important..DON T BREATHE the smoke
And maybe quietly backing into an open garage and bleach burnout in the garage. Not admitting it really happened just old maybe faulty memories.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

yeah, memory is the first thing to go.. fortunately all 3 of my current Vettes have plenty HP to SMOKE tires without needing bleach ..not that I would EVER do such a dangerous thing..
Old 07-13-2017, 12:03 AM
JayRay
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Take it to Pier 23 in San Francisco if you want to do a burn out.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Hit rewind a few decades, a 16 maybe 17 y bat buys a 72 bb 4 speed convertible, the 454 had been hopped up,
I ruined two transmissings acting like a show off dbag, i learned.

Way back, I started to notice at cruises the coolest cats didnt have to show off...cruises are a lot like this forum in that way.

Edit:
Sorry had a duh moment, i thought the op posted both asking how then the video of the black c3 taking out a c7
My remarks were made in what i thought was a post made to be ironically funny,
So if i offended anyone i do apologize,
I really havent been to a cruise with a burn out pit.

Last edited by The13Bats; 07-13-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Default Tire Smoke

I had a painful lesson driving (somebody else's) 1970 Pontiac GTO "Judge" with an automatic and 400ci engine. I was at the time a VW driver, and I wanted to feel what everybody was talking about.
I drove the GTO into a parking lot and came to a stop. I then mashed the pedal to the floor and the car did the fastest 270 degree turn in a huge cloud of smoke. I WAS impressed..

I now have a 1968 Convertible with four speed and a highly modified 427. The first time I took it to the track they told us to warm up the tires I drove into the burn out area and found out how easy it was to "warm up" the tires.
The problem I had was that my car continued to burn the back tires until I passed the eight mile mark on a 1/4 mile race track. No matter how easy I started off the tires were seen smoking halfway down the track.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:09 PM
stumpshot
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I know a person from another life. Drunk, nose full of blow, brought the old panhead in the house out of the rain. Living in a converted chicken coop with linoleum floors. Did a little burnout in the living room---melted the linoleum, tire got traction on the fir floor boards.
Launched right into the little kitchen, put the extended front end through the cabinet, under the sink. Banged ribs on kitchen counter and tore all plumbing out from under the sink.
Be careful when you do simple little burn outs! As has been said----sometimes things get wrecked. And no, I don't do burnouts, doughnuts, figure eights or j-hooks in my C3.

Get notified of new replies

To Burnout for a beginner

Old 07-13-2017, 06:17 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

well, first, YOU must be SMARTER than the equipment you are operating.. Obviously this was not the case in that situation
Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 PM
Ydnar44
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpshot
I know a person from another life. Drunk, nose full of blow, brought the old panhead in the house out of the rain. Living in a converted chicken coop with linoleum floors. Did a little burnout in the living room---melted the linoleum, tire got traction on the fir floor boards.
Launched right into the little kitchen, put the extended front end through the cabinet, under the sink. Banged ribs on kitchen counter and tore all plumbing out from under the sink.
Be careful when you do simple little burn outs! As has been said----sometimes things get wrecked. And no, I don't do burnouts, doughnuts, figure eights or j-hooks in my C3.
Best one yet!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by stumpshot
Come on.................."you know a person"..................yah, right, I've herd that one before. I say if you want to see him again look in the mirror??????????

Quick Reply: Burnout for a beginner