C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air main power

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Jag1050
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vintage Air main power

Installing Vintage Air IV in my 1972 Corvette, after ideals on running the main power wires to battery. I'm leaning toward going up center console area to battery box.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

why not go to fuse panel?? that's where my stock a/c works from.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Jag1050
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

VA warranty, wants on battery: 2 negative wires and one positive, also a wire on ignition run hot which I was going to run to fuse panel
Old 12-07-2016, 01:01 PM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I ran the cords through the center consoles and then poked a small hole in the carpet so they could be fed up an around while remaining out of sight. Once there I had to shorten them a bit since there was a ton of excess.

Let me know if you have any other issues or questions...just did this a few months ago (edit: oops more like a year now, man time flies)

Last edited by CPTCroaker; 12-07-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Jag1050
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

I walked away Sunday evening frustrated with assembling the dash. The hoses for the center returns are tight on the gauges and the oil pressure line is in there. Any suggestions....
Old 12-07-2016, 04:47 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

are you adding a/c or replacing factory a/c?
Old 12-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Jag1050
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Replacing factory A/C and VA uses the factory vents on the 72....
Old 12-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Why don't you just go right to the starter terminal- you have a 4GU cable running a few feet from the battery.

Plus you are right there!!!

I think it's better deal than running a longer distance of the 10-12GU back to the battery box....

Wiring to the starter terminal should NOT void your warranty...

Richard
Old 12-07-2016, 11:48 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Ditto here.

Originally Posted by Jag1050
VA warranty, wants on battery: 2 negative wires and one positive, also a wire on ignition run hot which I was going to run to fuse panel
On my 2 68's I did just as VA instructions said, and put the breaker/30amp (?)fuse close to the positive battery terminal. I think violet (?) control wire I ran to the fuse box terminal (either acc or ign, I can check it you like) My power wires back to the battery I ran inside the center console inside a small wire loom protector (forgot the name, looks like duct hose) and then through the existing small open space between the hard tunnel and sheet metal support behind the seats. Getting the center console back in with a OEM radio I found to be a very tight fit. Also I found the duct that goes to the driver side air ball hung down too low right above your feet. So I took that duct and heated it with a hair dryer/hot air gun and flattened it a bit so I still got good air flow but it tucks up better. All of the old stuff plus the VA install is a very tight fit behind the dash. I got both of mine to fit doing some wiggling and pressing but it took some effort. I made a transition piece out of aluminum flashing and duct tape to reuse another a/c center duct instead of the VA supplied one. You might could fashion something for your OEM center duct and reuse that.

Hope this helps.

Also follow VA's instructions to the letter to get the full 28oz (?) charge in. You have to set up fans in front of the condenser (I used a shop fan and 2 box fans otherwise you can not the full charge in and so you do not get the full design cooling. Call VA Tech help if you need to, very helpful I thought.

Last edited by 20mercury; 12-08-2016 at 12:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 20mercury:
FJC (07-29-2017), Jag1050 (12-08-2016)
Old 07-29-2017, 07:41 PM
FJC
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 20mercury
On my 2 68's I did just as VA instructions said, and put the breaker/30amp (?)fuse close to the positive battery terminal. I think violet (?) control wire I ran to the fuse box terminal (either acc or ign, I can check it you like) My power wires back to the battery I ran inside the center console inside a small wire loom protector (forgot the name, looks like duct hose) and then through the existing small open space between the hard tunnel and sheet metal support behind the seats. Getting the center console back in with a OEM radio I found to be a very tight fit. Also I found the duct that goes to the driver side air ball hung down too low right above your feet. So I took that duct and heated it with a hair dryer/hot air gun and flattened it a bit so I still got good air flow but it tucks up better. All of the old stuff plus the VA install is a very tight fit behind the dash. I got both of mine to fit doing some wiggling and pressing but it took some effort. I made a transition piece out of aluminum flashing and duct tape to reuse another a/c center duct instead of the VA supplied one. You might could fashion something for your OEM center duct and reuse that.

Hope this helps.

Also follow VA's instructions to the letter to get the full 28oz (?) charge in. You have to set up fans in front of the condenser (I used a shop fan and 2 box fans otherwise you can not the full charge in and so you do not get the full design cooling. Call VA Tech help if you need to, very helpful I thought.
20Mercury where did you put the relay? Did you have to run additional wire to get it to reach from the center? It seems like they don't give you a lot of wire to work with before the fuse.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default will check

Originally Posted by FJC
20Mercury where did you put the relay? Did you have to run additional wire to get it to reach from the center? It seems like they don't give you a lot of wire to work with before the fuse.
will check.

Get notified of new replies

To Vintage Air main power

Quick Reply: Vintage Air main power