C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Windshield washer reservoir leaking.....ugh

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 12:09 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Default 1982 Windshield washer reservoir leaking.....ugh

Hi everyone, what needs to be done to remove the windshield washer reservoir on an 82 corvette? It looks like I have to remove the master cylinder, cruise control and a half dozen other things to get this piece of plastic out but is there enough room to drop it out the bottom by moving the charcoal canister over? This looks like a nightmare
Anyone have insight on how to do this???
Old 07-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

The auto parts sell a plastic reservoir repair kit. (clear epoxy). Would that work?
Old 07-15-2017, 12:29 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
The auto parts sell a plastic reservoir repair kit. (clear epoxy). Would that work?
It would but it cracked right at the fitting. So I think to do it right it needs to be taken out, flipped upside down and then prepped before using the epoxy.
If worse comes to worse and everything needs to be removed, I might try doing it in the car. My problem is idk if I'm being dramatic in my assessment of the amount of work needed to get it out. I'm hoping someone chimes in, that has done this before and says it will wiggle out with very little work involved.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I took it out and changed the pump 15 years ago, so I don't remember much. I am quite sure I didn't remove the cruise unit. You can unbolt the master cylinder from the booster, and kinda slide it forward and lean it away without disconnecting the brake lines. Should give you enough room.
The following users liked this post:
hugie82 (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I took it out and changed the pump 15 years ago, so I don't remember much. I am quite sure I didn't remove the cruise unit. You can unbolt the master cylinder from the booster, and kinda slide it forward and lean it away without disconnecting the brake lines. Should give you enough room.
Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for
Old 07-15-2017, 03:26 PM
biaggio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1982 Corvette Windshield Wiper Reservoir

Originally Posted by hugie82
Hi everyone, what needs to be done to remove the windshield washer reservoir on an 82 corvette? It looks like I have to remove the master cylinder, cruise control and a half dozen other things to get this piece of plastic out but is there enough room to drop it out the bottom by moving the charcoal canister over? This looks like a nightmare
Anyone have insight on how to do this???
Hello,

I thought mine was leaking and had it replaced. Afterwards I found out that it was not the reservoir that was leaking. It was leaking from the windshield fluid pump motor. I replaced it with an AC Delco pump which cost around $36.00. Unfortunately I had to take out the reservoir twice. Therefore, I would replace the pump along with the reservoir at the same time to be on the safe side. Just my .02.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:07 PM
caryb78
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default washer tank

On my 78 L-82 you can remove the canister and drop it out the bottom. Tank held in with 2 bolts through fender well. Hard to see but they are there. May not apply to you

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Windshield washer reservoir leaking.....ugh

Quick Reply: 1982 Windshield washer reservoir leaking.....ugh