C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3- welded or clamped exhaust joints?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 AM
patrick68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3- welded or clamped exhaust joints?

If your c3 has the factory exhaust are the joints welded or clamped?

Most of the after market suppliers offer kits with aluminized pipes and clamps. Or a kit all welded together. I guess they weld all parts then coat the pipes with aluminum.

I have a small block 327/300 hp with the off road exhaust (2.5)inch diameter pipes. This is an early build 1968. I'm thinking because I have the special exhaust there isn't enough space for clamps.

Ka-Booom remembered.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi P,
Originally on all 68-72 cars, with either 2" or 2-1/2" systems, the mufflers were welded to the exhaust pipes.
This meant that a pair of clamps was only needed/used at the connection of 'head pipe' to the exhaust pipe.
A second pair of clamps was used to mount the exhaust tips to the rear of the mufflers.
The 'welded' exhaust systems that Corvette Central sells is quite similar to this configuration.
Typically on 2-1/2" exhaust systems the pipes were 'flattened' in the area where the pipes pass below the differential to give a bit more ground clearance.
Regards,
Alan

2-1/2" flattened pipe welded at muffler.

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-17-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: C3- welded or clamped exhaust joints?