C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Leaks 1969 427

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:45 AM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Exhaust Leaks 1969 427

So I finally took my 1969 out for a rip tonight after re and re of the gas tank and a good cleaning.
In doing so, I noticed that at every exhaust connection, there appears to be black soot indicating small leaks. I have a new system from corvette central and obviously have a few leaks as the car is very loud. I purchased the non welded system with clamp joints at 1. manifold, 2. front to rear pipe and 3. rear pipe to muffler and 4. muffler to tailpipe.
So the question is, do I just reef as hard a possible on the c clamps or should I be using some type of sealer at the c clamp connections.

My experience so far has been that I seem to sheer off the bolts if go at it too hard. Any ideas for a suggested torque so I don't get the leaks.

At this stage, the system I purchased was the stock with stock manifolds (no headers) and the 2 1/2 inch system but Magnaflow mufflers. It is way way too loud for my neighbourhood so hopefully the exhaust leak repairs will quiet it down somewhat.

Any ideas appreciated!
Thanks, Pete
Old 07-18-2017, 11:08 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It would take a pretty big leak for the volume to be louder than it should be. A few small leaks I don't think would cause your noise. I'm thinking what you're calling c-clamps are really the normal exhaust clamps- half round loop with threaded ends and the other half is a u-channel with holes for the threaded ends. And honestly, you can crank those down tight enough to bend the pipe they are around. Bend enough they can be a real PITA to get the pipes apart.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:52 AM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Tim,
Yes, I did mean the exhaust clamps.
I did notice it backfire a couple of times that is new since i (re and re) the gas tank and had to loosen my drivers side exhaust. I will tighten up with a little more force.
Much appreciated!
Pete

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Leaks 1969 427

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leaks 1969 427