C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you measure head to intake angle mismatch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default How do you measure head to intake angle mismatch?

I had my intake gaskets slip and basically push out in a couple areas both sides maybe 1/4 inch. Not sure how it happened. So I have the intake off and want to check the angle between intake and head.

Do they make a tool or something to do this?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:45 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

you could put some clay on the mating surface(s) then bolt it on, remove and measure the thickness of the clay.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

You could also get a machinist protractor (used on ebay) or similar (Home Depot etc.) and use the Lifter Valley flat as your reference on head and manifold surface.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:22 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
you could put some clay on the mating surface(s) then bolt it on, remove and measure the thickness of the clay.

Set the intake with NO gaskets, start bolts at the ends, and take a flashlight to look at the gap between the intake and china wall and see if there's a difference in the angle between the upper and lower edge of the intake to head interface.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:20 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT

Set the intake with NO gaskets, start bolts at the ends, and take a flashlight to look at the gap between the intake and china wall and see if there's a difference in the angle between the upper and lower edge of the intake to head interface.
Use a feeler gauge to measure the gap.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Originally Posted by TimAT

So to see with flashlight am I shifting the intake forward to see everything. Not sure what you mean? China wall means block fwd wall?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Front and back of the block.

If the walls are too tall because of decking the manifold will sit high on the walls and not allow the intake to mate with the heads.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

On an episode of Fantomworks they had a later C1 come in it ran fine other than using a bunch of oil. They figured out that it was the mismatch you are talking about.
Do you use a lot of oil? Are the heads and intake stock or aftermarket? How long has the intake been on and when you say your gasket slipped how can you tell it "slipped" and just not crushed out a bit is some places?
Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

I do use a lot of oil and the intake and heads are aftermarket. I had coolant in the number 8 cylinder which started all this and it appears to be from the intake gasket failure at the water port.

You are right, it could be some kind of crushed out thing but it looks more like some kind of pressure since we aren't talking about a small amount of push out, this is large causing vacuum leaks. Sorry no pics but where you would see maybe 1/8 of the gasket sticking out around the whole intake, mine had 1/4 to 1/2 bulging out in maybe 4 locations. Very strange.

One issue I think is causing this could be blow by past the rings or something. I use breathers but may go back to PVC to lower pressures.

Last edited by Surfer69; 07-21-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:42 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Do you have pictures of it?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Use the approach suggested above by TimAT. If you see that the angle of the intake runner surface is different than the angle of the heads mating surfaces, use a feeler gauge to measure the gap at the widest part. If that gap is larger than .010", you may have to get the intake runners milled to match the heads and then use thicker gaskets so that the bolt holes will still line up.

You can call some 'speed' shops to see if they sell any intake/head gaskets that can absorb some angle mismatch between those parts. Someone may make a 'crush' type gasket that will work and still seal well.

To seal the end rails, you can use the little rubber pieces and some Permatex Ultra Black RTV....OR....you can just use the Permatex U-B alone, if you squeeze out a line of it on each China rail and let it set up a while before installing the intake. With either method, once you have placed the intake in position, install bolts loosely, then tighten to 5 ft-bls and then allow Permatex to cure before final torqueing of bolts.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 07-21-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

What if gap is not on outer edge but inner edge where you cant get to it?
Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Eyeball it. If you have a feeler gauge set, hold the gauge shim edgewise so you can eyeball shim thicknesses that appear to be the same dimension as the largest width of that gap. You should be able to get within a couple of thousandths of the actual gap width. Your estimate will be close enough to make the next decision.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:08 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

you might be overthinking this. call your head and intake manufacturer. tell them your theory. I'm sure they have seen it all and will be able to help.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

The China Walls are the Walls on the Block forward and aft that are generally sealed with RTV in modern times. I would get a quality Gasket set both Mr Gasket and GM are good. Then I would just set the Manifold on with the Gaskets skipping the China walls using 4 Bolts in the corners finger tight. At this point it would be nice if the engine was on a engine stand but none the less I would take a good look to see if all the surfaces are Parallel. Are the China Walls extremely close or excessively wide ?

Get notified of new replies

To How do you measure head to intake angle mismatch?

Quick Reply: How do you measure head to intake angle mismatch?