C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Psssst! Tell me your secret ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Psssst! Tell me your secret ...

to get a TH400 oil pan to seal.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Make double sure the pan is flat and use a Dura-prene gasket. That's the black color gasket that looks like rubber, but it's actually impregnated cork. And don't overtorque.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

i usually go around skipping every other bolt, then go back and skip the ones i did before.
tighten in stages and let sit for awhile (10-15min) between tightens.
i do the same for sump pans as well.

and while the pan is off put a drain plug in it.

Last edited by riverracer au; 07-20-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Put a 4, 5 or 6 speed manual in your car.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:35 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

If all else fails, get a Moroso pan gasket. Rubber with metal frame inside. Reusable, many times. No sealer required. About $20.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:21 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

is it a factory pan or aftermarket?
did you check it on a flat surface to make sure it isnt warped and none of the bolt holes are distorted?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Pound any dimpled bolt holes on the pan rail FLAT; clean the oil pan rail and mating trans housing surfaces clean of ANY oil/dirt (lacquer thinner works well); use a FelPro composition (cork/rubber) gasket; put a light wipe of Permatex gasket sealer on the oil pan side of the gasket; install bolts loosely, then torque to 1/3 of rated torque; let pan sit overnight to let the Permatex set up; torque bolts to 2/3 of rated torque; make final torque pass to full torque. DO NOT OVERTORQUE THE PAN BOLTS.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:46 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

As well as making sure the pan is flat, as suggested above, make sure all of the retaining bolt holes are CLEAN, and free from residual tranny fluid. Torque the bolts to 8-9 ft/lbs, starting from the middle and working outward.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

A good friend of mine worked at a Cadillac/Buick dealership and he was their automatic transmission guru and he said that 99% of leaks occur from the pan sealing surface not being flat and dimpled bolt holes from over torque. He always pounded the sealing surface and bolt holes flat even if it looked OK. He never had a transmission come back. Same with oil pans.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

This will be the best $170 bucks you can spend on a auto tranny, drain plug included....

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...2280/overview/

Last edited by OMF; 07-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:25 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

1/2" bead of JB Weld.....bolts finger tight.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
As well as making sure the pan is flat, as suggested above, make sure all of the retaining bolt holes are CLEAN, and free from residual tranny fluid. Torque the bolts to 8-9 ft/lbs, starting from the middle and working outward.
Thanks leadfoot and others .....
I can't find a torgue spec anywhere, is that 8-9 ft/lbs specified somewhere or what works for you? I'm just trying to be cautious, I already have 2 stripped holes.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:51 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim71Vette
Thanks leadfoot and others .....
I can't find a torgue spec anywhere, is that 8-9 ft/lbs specified somewhere or what works for you? I'm just trying to be cautious, I already have 2 stripped holes.
Many of the shop manuals that have been published since the late 80s-early90s, have the torque specs in metric values. From what I've read, over the years, this works out to around 8-9 ft/lbs, and the number I successfully used on 3 vehicles that I've had, that had automatic transmissions (a '96 Z/28; a '97 S-10 4x4; and a 2005 GMC 4x4).

This is just one man's opinion, take it for what it's worth. When doing a fluid change/filter replacement, many of us, myself included, get the car up off the ground, then wrestle with dropping the pan, while it still has 3-4 quarts of transmission fluid in it. As the fluid starts to exit the transmission, as we get the pan down to the last 2-3 bolts holding it in place, the fluid is seeping back into the holes where the bolts have been already removed.

When you replace the pan, this residual fluid is (usually) pushed back out by the incoming bolt, and it soaks the gasket around the hole, and this, I think, is one of the causes for the gasket to leak. Therefore, I feel that it's critical to get the bolt holes clean and dry, before re-installing the pan.

One other thing, and it's something that took me way too long to realize......The worst part of doing a fluid/filter swap, is dealing with fluid spilling from the pan, as you drop it from the car. MOST tranny pans don't have drain plugs.

A long time ago, I bought an "vacuum oil extractor", like the ones used on inboard boat engines. I forgot why I bought it, but STUPID ME....it can be used to draw most of the fluid out of the transmission, before dropping the pan, hence no messy spillage! I was always afraid of the extractor's tube loosening, and falling into the tranny. That's most likely why I didn't use it to evacuate the tranny, before dropping the pan for a filter change.

It took me way too long to realize that even if the tube fell off, it was no big deal, as I was dropping the pan anyway, to swap the filter, and at that point, the extractor tube would drop right out.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Jim71Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Many of the shop manuals that have been published since the late 80s-early90s, have the torque specs in metric values. From what I've read, over the years, this works out to around 8-9 ft/lbs, and the number I successfully used on 3 vehicles that I've had, that had automatic transmissions (a '96 Z/28; a '97 S-10 4x4; and a 2005 GMC 4x4).

This is just one man's opinion, take it for what it's worth. When doing a fluid change/filter replacement, many of us, myself included, get the car up off the ground, then wrestle with dropping the pan, while it still has 3-4 quarts of transmission fluid in it. As the fluid starts to exit the transmission, as we get the pan down to the last 2-3 bolts holding it in place, the fluid is seeping back into the holes where the bolts have been already removed.

When you replace the pan, this residual fluid is (usually) pushed back out by the incoming bolt, and it soaks the gasket around the hole, and this, I think, is one of the causes for the gasket to leak. Therefore, I feel that it's critical to get the bolt holes clean and dry, before re-installing the pan.

One other thing, and it's something that took me way too long to realize......The worst part of doing a fluid/filter swap, is dealing with fluid spilling from the pan, as you drop it from the car. MOST tranny pans don't have drain plugs.

A long time ago, I bought an "vacuum oil extractor", like the ones used on inboard boat engines. I forgot why I bought it, but STUPID ME....it can be used to draw most of the fluid out of the transmission, before dropping the pan, hence no messy spillage! I was always afraid of the extractor's tube loosening, and falling into the tranny. That's most likely why I didn't use it to evacuate the tranny, before dropping the pan for a filter change.

It took me way too long to realize that even if the tube fell off, it was no big deal, as I was dropping the pan anyway, to swap the filter, and at that point, the extractor tube would drop right out.
Thanks leadfoot, very good advice that I will use when I put the pan back on.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by riverracer au
i usually go around skipping every other bolt, then go back and skip the ones i did before.
tighten in stages and let sit for awhile (10-15min) between tightens.
i do the same for sump pans as well.

and while the pan is off put a drain plug in it.
assuming the pan is flat
Brown permatex>silcone

Last edited by cv67; 07-22-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

"Aviation Form-a-Gasket".... I`ve used this stuff for years. It works on oil, gas, & hot water. Seals great! When it`s time to take stuff apart, it peels right off. My fil used to be the head of the motor pool in the Army, said they used it on tanks & airplanes.... so I tried it, and been using it ever since.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:09 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Make sure it aint leaking from a servo cover font seal or any area that can run down to the pans outer edge and make it appear as a pan leak. I have seen people blame the pan when it was a speedo seal .

If u are sure its the pan, be sure it is flat , lay it on a level surface with a flashlight inside pan and rotate pan around light source to check it. If t is flat . Make sure NOT to over tighten the bolts . Snug them by hand and add 1/2 to 1 full turn. Then go back and double check them.

Get notified of new replies

To Psssst! Tell me your secret ...

Quick Reply: Psssst! Tell me your secret ...