C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Power Brake Booster

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 PM
MRVETTE74
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1974 Power Brake Booster

I recently bought a Tough Stuff power brake booster, but the push rod is not the right length. They included a short rod about 1 inch long and a longer one about 3 inches long. However, I now how have 2 original rods and the 2 new rods that came with the new booster.
First, I don't believe that the length is correct with any rod, and the original one was adjustable and I adjusted it as short as I can, but I took it apart about 2 months ago and now that the manufacturer sent me the 2 short rods, I can't remember how it all goes back I also have a spring that is narrower at one end than the other and a washer/seal and some kind of filer fiber/washer.
Can someone help me on how this goes back together, and has anyone worked with a Tough Stuff booster?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:58 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Me. My booster came with a threaded rod and two locking nuts at the brake pedal end and the pushrod at the front was non-adjustable, hence the threaded rod at the rear is for your adjustment. So what I did, once the old booster was out, I measured the entire length of the rods from the the clevis pin where it attaches to the brake pedal to the tip of the rod that goes into the mc. I don't remember the entire length but let's say it was 14". I then put the non-adjustable mc rod into the new TS booster and then measured and adjusted the two lock nuts on the rear rod to sit at the same length as the 14" I measured from the old booster. Installed booster and checked it was functioning properly. I may have made a slight adjustment using the two locking nuts which also serve that purpose. My brakes work fine with the TS booster. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: 1974 Power Brake Booster