C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights won't go down and brake booster not working, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Jeanbrigo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights won't go down and brake booster not working, help!

Hey guys!

So I was driving my 1981 corvette around, when I realized that the brakes pedal was going all the way to the floor, and my headlights would not go down anymore. I checked the vacuum lines, and there is a hissing in one of the lines, but i checked it and cannot find a hole or slit. Anyone have any idea what could make both the brake booster stop working and the headlights at the same time? Much appreciate it guys!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:51 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

did you look at the large vacuum hose on the brake booster and trace it back to the intake manifold to see if it is cracked?
you state there is a hissing but fail to mention where the vacuum line is.

Last edited by MelWff; 07-22-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Jeanbrigo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
did you look at the large vacuum hose on the brake booster and trace it back to the intake manifold to see if it is cracked?
you state there is a hissing but fail to mention where the vacuum line is.
So the hissing is coming from the vacuum line that is in the middle of the picture,just above the silver taped one. I think it connects behind/under the air cleaner assembly.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jeanbrigo; 07-22-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:15 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Maybe two problems

You have a major vacuum leak. Pull the air cleaner and trace the vacuum line between the booster and the manifold. That line is piped directly to a fitting located on the top center just behind the carb. You could have a cracked or broken hose or maybe it is no longer connected. In either case you should consider replacing the vac lines with new. Not a hard job.

Your brake pedal travel to the floor is not vacuum related. Vacuum makes moving the brake pedal which pumps fluid through the lines easier. A vacuum leak like you describe would make application of brakes harder but not affect travel. If your pedal travels to the floor you probably have no brake fluid or lots or air in brake fluid or broken lines or bad worn pads. You need to check the entire brake system and fix b4 you drive it. Search brakes on this forum.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Jeanbrigo
4th Gear

Originally Posted by biackbenz
You have a major vacuum leak. Pull the air cleaner and trace the vacuum line between the booster and the manifold. That line is piped directly to a fitting located on the top center just behind the carb. You could have a cracked or broken hose or maybe it is no longer connected. In either case you should consider replacing the vac lines with new. Not a hard job.

Your brake pedal travel to the floor is not vacuum related. Vacuum makes moving the brake pedal which pumps fluid through the lines easier. A vacuum leak like you describe would make application of brakes harder but not affect travel. If your pedal travels to the floor you probably have no brake fluid or lots or air in brake fluid or broken lines or bad worn pads. You need to check the entire brake system and fix b4 you drive it. Search brakes on this forum.
Thank you, I'm going to look into that, will come back if there're any further issues, thanks guys!
Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Jeanbrigo
4th Gear

So i checked the vac lines, i have vacuum going through at the vacuum relays, checked the line i was mentioning as hissing, unplugged it at the end that is away from under the air cleaner, and it makes the same hissing noise plugged in as when i block the way with my finger, so I'm assuming there is an issue with the part it is connected to. Could you guys tell me what that part is? It's the one in the picture, has a few wires going into it as well as at least 3 vacuum lines going in. It's on the left side of the engine.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jeanbrigo; 07-27-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeanbrigo
So i checked the vac lines, i have vacuum going through at the vacuum relays, checked the line i was mentioning as hissing, unplugged it at the end that is away from under the air cleaner, and it makes the same hissing noise plugged in as when i block the way with my finger, so I'm assuming there is an issue with the part it is connected to. Could you guys tell me what that part is? It's the one in the picture, has a few wires going into it as well as at least 3 vacuum lines going in. It's on the left side of the engine.
That's the cruise control transducer

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights won't go down and brake booster not working, help!

Quick Reply: Headlights won't go down and brake booster not working, help!