Moon roof weatherstripping question - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Moon roof weatherstripping question

Old 07-22-2017, 11:10 PM
Flivver61
CF Senior Member

Default Moon roof weatherstripping question

Does anyone know if the stock t-top weatherstrip can be used to replace the moon roof weatherstrip? I sent Willcox an e-mail, and he replied he thinks so but I should ask here to be sure

They look about the same, I hate to rip off the old weatherstrip and ruin it if I can't replace it.

Also, when redoing the t-top weatherstrip, should I clean and re-use the hard side weatherstrip retainer, or buy new ones?

I have a 72 coupe, any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Flivver61
CF Senior Member

Has nobody done this?
Old 07-24-2017, 01:11 PM
bruiser
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

I used the stock t-top weatherstripping on my moonroofs. Just make sure you get the right ones with the same number of pins.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,730 Posts

'Moon-roofs' are the twin latch handle design...so you get the weatherstrip for that era of top.

I would use the latex weatherstrips that are being reproduced.

DUB
Old 07-24-2017, 09:47 PM
Flivver61
CF Senior Member

thanks guys, I will remove the existing, get with Willcox, and let you know what the right molding is in case someone else wants to go through this. Just trying to peel back the rubber and see where the pins are, it doesn't look like the same as my 72
Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 PM
The13Bats
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flivver61 View Post
thanks guys, I will remove the existing, get with Willcox, and let you know what the right molding is in case someone else wants to go through this. Just trying to peel back the rubber and see where the pins are, it doesn't look like the same as my 72
You cant go wrong with willcox that cat is the corvette guru...helped me many times when no one else could.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:57 PM
Flivver61
CF Senior Member

For the record, I have torn down the moon roof for cleaning and painting, and verified the weatherstrip is the same as my stock t-tops, and uses 19 pin weatherstrip
Old 08-14-2017, 02:56 AM
Flivver61
CF Senior Member

Finished the first top. I am converting my interior to light saddle, so I painted the inside of the t0top around the window this color, then painted the rest my exterior bryar blue. I replaced the weatherstripping as well as most parts, cleaned and polished some of the parts, but it came out rather nice, I should take a better picture outside.

Hoping the second top will go faster now that I kind of know what I am doing. While doing the first top, I left the second one alone so I could reference back to it. And it fits, was a little worried since I tore it down and had all the hardware off. I still need to make a couple minor adjustments, but it fits and seals nicely.

Thanks guys for the assist!

Before

After

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moon roof weatherstripping question

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: