C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best floor insulation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:23 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Those materials sound like good substitutions for the original stuff, and they would last longer, too. Not sure what the R value difference between jute and closed-cell foam (I think jute would be better insulator...but maybe not over MANY years).

What are sources for CC-foam? [other than the site you posted]

Thanks for your informative reply!
The Ensolite mentioned earlier in the thread is a closed-cell foam. Just search for "ensolite" and you'll find it for sale all over the place -both in cheap large rolls and in peel-and-stick squares that are not so cheap.

VetteNuts reflectix insulation kit for our C3s lets you also add pre-cut Ensolite for about double the price of just the reflectix, if you're looking for a pre-cut, easy install solution. (but beware the actual vs. advertised price difference, it'll sneak up on ya)

Adam
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I never sought another source for CCF. I have never seen anything like it elsewhere. About 1/8 inch thick. Reasonbly tough hide but easy to cut with scissors. Very pliable. Reasonably light weight. Again it is more to isolate the Mass Loaded Vinyl from the sound source - stop resonance pass through. The MLF is the primary sound blocker. (From what I recall.) I am yet to install on the door panels. I also installed the CLD tiles but don't think they are necessary for fiberglass . . . But I had it open so . . . .
Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I'm going to try some home made Lizard Skin. I tested it on a scrap of sheetmetal, and an open flame, 60 degrees difference.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=511370&page=2
Old 07-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
I'm going to try some home made Lizard Skin. I tested it on a scrap of sheetmetal, and an open flame, 60 degrees difference.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=511370&page=2
That sounds quite promising.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Cheap, too.

Quick Reply: Whats the best floor insulation?