C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure showing on gauge.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 PM
Gary Heller
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure showing on gauge.

I bought a 1980 Corvette, none of the gauges worked except the clock, and amp meter. The oil gauge didn't work because the sending unit was bad. After the gauge would kind of work once the car warmed up. I could also tap on the gauge and the needle would move up to 25lbs. That is the highest the gauge would register, that was at idle and 5,000 rpms. Now the gauge doesn't work at all. I'm not hearing any bad engine noise. Does it sound like I need a new gauge or another sending unit. The car has only 58,000 miles on it. Could you give me your best opinion on what to do?
Old 07-25-2017, 11:06 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

"I could also tap on the gauge and the needle would move up to 25lbs."

I think this would be the kicker. Either the connection to the gauge, the ground, or the gauge itself would be the problem. You can't change oil pressure by tapping on the gauge.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 07-25-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:24 AM
Gary Heller
3rd Gear

Default No oil pressure showing on gauge

I'm saying the needle gets stuck and by tapping the gauge the needle will release.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:05 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

The first thing I'd do is go down to your local auto parts store and buy a cheap analog oil pressure gauge that actually uses oil through a tube to indicate pressure. Hook it up and see if your oil pressure is actually good before proceeding. This will at least give you peace-of-mind that you have actual oil pressure and are not damaging your engine.

With that said what you are describing to me is a loose connection somewhere or you gauge is bad or going bad.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:15 PM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
The first thing I'd do is go down to your local auto parts store and buy a cheap analog oil pressure gauge that actually uses oil through a tube to indicate pressure. Hook it up and see if your oil pressure is actually good before proceeding. This will at least give you peace-of-mind that you have actual oil pressure and are not damaging your engine.

With that said what you are describing to me is a loose connection somewhere or you gauge is bad or going bad.
Absolutely use another mechanical type gauge and confirm the oil pressure.
I am guessing you put a new sender unit it in? Also, the 80 has a voltmeter, not an amp guage.
Regarding the oil dash gauge, when you turn the key on, the needle should be on the zero. If you disconnect the connector from the sender, turn the key on, the needle should go all the way over to the right.

Last edited by BlackC3vette; 07-26-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Gary Heller
3rd Gear

Default No oil pressure showing on gauge

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
"I could also tap on the gauge and the needle would move up to 25lbs."

I think this would be the kicker. Either the connection to the gauge, the ground, or the gauge itself would be the problem. You can't change oil pressure by tapping on the gauge.
Originally Posted by theandies

I'll try the connections first, if that doesn't work I'll try the mechanical gauge and see if I have any oil pressure. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

While it's likely just a gauge issue, I wouldn't drive the car until you've determined if it in fact does have oil pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To No oil pressure showing on gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No oil pressure showing on gauge.