C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700r4 mystery leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts
Default 700r4 mystery leak

I usually have no leaks. Car has been in garage for 2 or 3 days. I back her out and leave her running while I do 10 min wipe down. Take a quick 2 mile trip. Come back home to find a 8" puddle of trans fluid where car was just running in park. Let her idle a few more minutes, no more leaks. Check fluid level, its perfect. Leak looks to be on pass side of car. No leaks in garage. How can car drop that much fluid then just stop?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:41 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine sprung a mysterious leak the other day... an otherwise bone dry 700R4 all of a sudden puked out about a shot glass full of ATF on my (formally) beautiful, stain free concrete...

Turns out it came from the vent hole in the back of the front driveshaft yoke... even though it had been parked and not driven or started for a week or more.

Don't really have a good explanation for the sudden leak, one source suggested the converter finally bled down and resulted in an over full condition causing the outflow through the vent hole. Plausible I guess, ATF level is still fine, put a dab of RTV over the vent hole (as it's not really needed in the corvette application since there is minimal driveshaft travel due to the IRS)

I've had it on my lift for the past two weeks, and not a drip in sight from the transmission anyway, now the L48/SBC in front of it is a different story.

mardyn
Old 07-30-2017, 09:42 PM
oldboat
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

the only leak i have had with my 700r4 was from the dipstick tube. it would only leak when the transmission was warm and the fluid level rose. i replaced the ribbed grommet between the transmission and dipstick tube and the leak went away.
yours sounds different though.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

transmission fluid creeps so it may not have been alot of fluid, any chance you had it jacked up or the drive way is on a hill?

Last edited by Kacyc3; 07-31-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:32 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

any chance you had it jacked up or the drive way is on a hill?
Nope, its a very flat area.

Drove my son to band practice this morning and have not see another drop.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:03 PM
titanle
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I had this same problem, the car didn't leak at all and then once I put it up on ramps for about an hour and brought it back down and parked it. THe next day there was a huge puddle of atf underneath.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

On SOME 700R4's there is an internal sleeve & seal inside the tail shaft housing.
If not installed properly or if it shifts during use, it allows fluid to migrate to the area where the main output shaft bushing/seal is.
The fluid then escapes through the seal vent to the ground.
Just enough to make a small puddle.
I rebuild 700R4's and have found this to be an issue on occasion- the sleeve moves during assembly to the wrong position on the shaft.
I've also had them migrate after a while with no leak and then suddenly there it was.
I'm not saying your 7004 has this problem, it's just something I came across in my travels.
Rebuild companies intermix various tail shafts so you never know what you're gonna get.
See #690 & 691 in the attached photo.

Get notified of new replies

To 700r4 mystery leak

Quick Reply: 700r4 mystery leak