C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Clutch Master Cylinder (69 Restomod)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:41 PM
1rad55
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default LS3 Clutch Master Cylinder (69 Restomod)

I'm installing a 2008 Corvette LS3 / Tremec Magnum 6sp in my 69 Coupe. Does anyone have any info of this master cylinder kit for the clutch hydraulic master cylinder and attaching to the stock C3 clutch arm? Please advise and thanks in advance for your input!
Old 08-13-2017, 03:14 PM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

I changed my '78 over to hydraulic clutch. The master cylinder wouldn't push enough fluid to completely disengage the clutch, because I had the 168 tooth flywheel on my L-48. I had to replace the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and bell housing ( that was designed for hydraulics) with the 1984 153 tooth set-up in order to get enough push.
I think if you go to a clutch cylinder that attaches to your input shaft of the transmission and adjust it correctly, you can solve that issue.

Good Luck
Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by righthanddrive
because I had the 168 tooth flywheel on my L-48. I had to replace the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and bell housing ( that was designed for hydraulics)
? I don't get it ? what does a flywheel, clutch , bell housing have to do with a TOB Travel with a Hydraulic cylinder.

Unless the clutch travel amount is something funny long.

The flywheel / bell housing should only be required to match a engine /starter type to a transmission type. Then select a clutch that matches the flywheel & Transmission type.

My be I got lucky and it just worked as planned.

I change my L48 with a ZZ383 added a T56 Magnum with hydraulics for the clutch. Mcleod Twin Disc clutch.

The important thing was to get enough pedal ratio to make any clutch work. Mine (hydraulic cylinder) required a Clutch pedal ratio between 5-6:1
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rad55
I'm installing a 2008 Corvette LS3 / Tremec Magnum 6sp in my 69 Coupe. Does anyone have any info of this master cylinder kit for the clutch hydraulic master cylinder and attaching to the stock C3 clutch arm? Please advise and thanks in advance for your input!
I don't have the LS3 but for my project it would have required a different bell housing, but everything else I used should have worked.

This is my ZZ383 with a T56 magnum install in a 78.

Also consider a Twin Disc Clutch if you like a light pedal feel. When I first installed the transmission I went with a single disc which I shortly exchanged with a Mcleod RST Twin disc. Pedal feel changed similar to the C6 6-speed setup.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 Clutch Master Cylinder (69 Restomod)

Quick Reply: LS3 Clutch Master Cylinder (69 Restomod)