C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

accelerator cable

Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default accelerator cable

Looks like the plastic clip holding the cable to the rod is broken.

I have been trying for a while to get to it with the driver's side dash in place. Can't even begin to get up in there to do anything useful.

For those who have done this before - dash removal necessary or am I missing something?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:24 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Dash removal is not in order. It's at the very least hard to see. You have to do the job by feel. Unclip the cable from the throttle, fully seat the cable in the housing to give the cable maximum free play at the throttle pedal end. Reach to the top of the throttle pedal arm and make sure there is some cable beyond the plastic clip. It may help if you have a bit of free play in the throttle pedal to lift the throttle pedal to get a bit more of the cable extended out. Once the ball on the end of the cable is well free of the clip, rotate the clip so the open part of the clip meets the open part of the throttle arm (on the top) and slip the cable out of the assembly. If your throttle arm doesn't have an open part (depends upon year), the just remove the clip and slide the clip free of the cable.
The following users liked this post:
pigfarmer (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:33 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default thanks

Just getting frustrated and pulling the left side of the dash out would have only made it worse.

Wound up taking out the driver seat - very easy to do - and laying on my back to reach up in there. Just couldn't put my hand on it in any other position.

I ordered another clip - it was only $7. How much my chiropractor will cost after this is another matter ....
Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Disconnected the cable from the carburetor.

Go under the dash and unbolt the accelerator. Now you can pull it down enough to slide the clip off and replace it.

Get notified of new replies

To accelerator cable

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: accelerator cable