C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is cam in right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 07:20 PM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Is the vacuum steady, but low, or is it low and erratic? The needle should not vary very much. If it is "bouncing", along with everything else you are describing, you wither have wiped a cam lobe or two, or the lifters are broken...might also explain why the one keeps loosening on you...

I had a motor with a mechanical cam...two exploded lifters, but I could still get it to run with a very rich mixture, but would backfire through the carb from time to time, and the idle was always rough...
didn't realize the lifter issue until I finally got frustrated and tore the motor down...
Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
Also, the thread was started by someone else and this has since hijacked it.
I think you are quite mistaken in why I posted. I had no intention of helping you with your issue because this isn't your thread. I posted the response to ensure everyone else knew what you posted was wrong, to the point it shouldn't even be debated. I hope one day the 180* out cam myth dies instead of being perpetuated.

The OP needs to fix the rocker issue, and then confirm TDC. After that, he can move on to the timing and carburetor tuning to get his engine running right.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 08-19-2017 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mrvette (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 02:50 PM
techinspector1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure that most fellows and gals on here know how to find top dead center, but maybe there are a few that don't, so I will post a tutorial that I wrote many years ago to fill the gap for those few......
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...op_dead_center
Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl1967
Is the vacuum steady, but low, or is it low and erratic? The needle should not vary very much. If it is "bouncing", along with everything else you are describing, you wither have wiped a cam lobe or two, or the lifters are broken...might also explain why the one keeps loosening on you...

I had a motor with a mechanical cam...two exploded lifters, but I could still get it to run with a very rich mixture, but would backfire through the carb from time to time, and the idle was always rough...
didn't realize the lifter issue until I finally got frustrated and tore the motor down...
The vacuum is low but steady. We pulled the manifold and lifters last night but didn't have a chance to check any yet.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 07:55 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Theres always the possibility the cam was installed wrong. Not 180 out but another way. Most timing chain sets come with the option of changing the timing of the cam. There are three markings and three slots or keyways on the crank sprocket. Of the three, I believe one is straight up, one is 4* advanced and lastly 4* retarded. Which mark did someone use and not double check?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Theres always the possibility the cam was installed wrong. Not 180 out but another way. Most timing chain sets come with the option of changing the timing of the cam. There are three markings and three slots or keyways on the crank sprocket. Of the three, I believe one is straight up, one is 4* advanced and lastly 4* retarded. Which mark did someone use and not double check?
We'll pull the front end off and see.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:58 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I hate to say it but this thread is getting better all the time
Old 08-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Duke94
The vacuum is low but steady. We pulled the manifold and lifters last night but didn't have a chance to check any yet.

Thanks
The one exhaust lifter that wouldn't adjust had a piece of contaminate under the disc on the pushrod side.

Quick Reply: Is cam in right?