C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on plugs after rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I hope for your sake it is in the heads so the whole engine doesn't have to come out.

Having said that, I have seen upside down second rings more than once. It would only take one to burn the oil you're experiencing. An overlapped oil ring expander could do it too. The problem with troubleshooting these issues is they will not show any scores in the cylinder wall. You could even have a broken second ring (oil control) and not show up as a score or scratch.

Keep on your builder until they get it right.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 10-23-2017 at 01:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by v2racing:
bmans vette (10-23-2017), LenWoodruff (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:53 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
It certainly sounds like the heads not being done properly but just a reminder on the intake manifold gasket.
If we had a suspected manifold gasket leak, spraying some carb cleaner or for that matter any volatile spray around the intake manifold where they meet the heads would indicate if there is a leak. Listen or watch for a surge or change in engine idle as the "gas" gets thru the leak in the gasket. No change, no leak.

I hate to point fingers at someone else without inspecting work myself BUT....a missing valve seal is a HUGE red flag.
And something YOUR builder should have picked up on when installing the heads. Attention to detail seems to be lacking these days. A lot of lets just keep our fingers crossed.

Good luck resolving this as it sure sounds like its been a while.

No fun in that.
Unfortunately the spray can leak tester method only works on the top portion of the intake gasket, meaning it may or may not be sucking outside air. The bottom of the intake gasket would not respond to the spray and could very well be invisibly leaking, sucking the inside oily mist in the lifter valley. Hence, oil usage, fouled plugs, etc.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-23-2017 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LenWoodruff (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:01 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Unfortunately the spray can leak tester method only works on the top portion of the intake gasket, meaning it may or may not be sucking outside air. The bottom of the intake gasket would not respond to the spray and could very well be invisibly leaking, sucking the inside oily mist in the lifter valley. Hence, oil usage, fouled plugs, etc.
True. I was thinking more along the lines that a bad gasket or poor install would leak in more than one spot. Spray test is a simple test and only takes a few seconds. Often times, the most simple answer is the correct one. Occum's razor...
A mismatch in the angles of the intake to the heads would be a good source for the lower portion to leak. But he said that there was no change in components from the last rebuild if I read him carefully. And any good builder would check the intake to the head fit before installing the gasket to make sure there was not a taper. Right?
So unless the block was decked or the heads milled, the intake and heads should line up properly.
Once again...it sounds like lack of attention to details somewhere along the way.
Missing valve seal...wow!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Vortecpro
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LenWoodruff
Well they want the least expensive solution so that is why it has taken 5 months since I 1st got the car back from the engine rebuild.

I think they are of the opinion that the machine shop short cut the head/valve job by either not putting new bronze wall valve guides or not sizing them correctly to each valve.

While the possibility of the intake gaskets leaking is small. They will be able to answer that when the pull the intake.

Also with the heads of we can see if there is any cylinder scoring from the oil rings separator.
Hmm a short cut on the heads. You need to educate yourself on how a cylinder head is rebuilt so you can make sure it gets done right. Have the machinist put in writing exactly what he's going to do to fix the heads, then you either approve or disapprove the work. Take them the springs, valves, and seals, not much money, put a good foot forward. Its very important they know you know what needs to be done.

Last edited by Vortecpro; 10-23-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:12 PM
Vortecpro
Racer

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
Your knowledge of piston rings is seriously lacking.
I agree with V2. Correct information is very important, especially when it comes to forums.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Vortecpro
Racer

[QUOTE=v2racing;1595818585]I hope for your sake it is in the heads so the whole engine doesn't have to come out.

Having said that, I have seen upside down second rings more than once. It would only take one to burn the oil you're experiencing. An overlapped oil ring expander could do it too. The problem with troubleshooting these issues is they will not show any scores in the cylinder wall. You could even have a broken second ring (oil control) and not show up as a score or scratch.

Mike[/QUOT

Again...if there was a ring problem his oil would not look like it does.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

True. I was thinking more along the lines that a bad gasket or poor install would leak in more than one spot. Spray test is a simple test and only takes a few seconds. Often times, the most simple answer is the correct one. Occum's razor...
A mismatch in the angles of the intake to the heads would be a good source for the lower portion to leak. But he said that there was no change in components from the last rebuild if I read him carefully. And any good builder would check the intake to the head fit before installing the gasket to make sure there was not a taper. Right?
So unless the block was decked or the heads milled, the intake and heads should line up properly.
Once again...it sounds like lack of attention to details somewhere along the way.
Missing valve seal...wow!
The heads did have a .015 clean milling done on them. I wouldn't think that would be enough to caused the gaskets not to seal.

There is oil on all of the plugs, but mostly the back 4. 5, 6, 7 8.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vortecpro
Hmm a short cut on the heads. You need to educate yourself on how a cylinder head is rebuilt so you can make sure it gets done right. Have the machinist put in writing exactly what he's going to do to fix the heads, then you either approve or disapprove the work. Take them the springs, valves, and seals, not much money, put a good foot forward. Its very important they know you know what needs to be done.
I would like to be able to do that. But is has been 30 years since I rebuilt an engine. The option were a lot fewer and easier to choose from back then.

That is why I elected to have someone else with more recent experience do the engine.

Not sure that was a good idea now.

Last edited by LenWoodruff; 10-24-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:29 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Vortecpro;1595822886]
Originally Posted by v2racing
I hope for your sake it is in the heads so the whole engine doesn't have to come out.

Mike[/QUOT

Again...if there was a ring problem his oil would not look like it does.
Do you mean since the oil is so clean it is unlikely that the rings are the problems?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:36 AM
Vortecpro
Racer

[QUOTE=LenWoodruff;1595823850][QUOTE=Vortecpro;1595822886]

Do you

mean since the oil is so clean it is unlikely that the rings are the problems?

That's what I've been saying for pages...............
I've also said get your heads to someone competent.............life is too short

Last edited by Vortecpro; 10-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:36 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Vortecpro;1595824228][QUOTE=LenWoodruff;1595823850]

Do you

mean since the oil is so clean it is unlikely that the rings are the problems?

That's what I've been saying for pages...............
I've also said get your heads to someone competent.............life is too short
That would be good news if it is not the rings like you say. That makes the resolution easier as long as they can fix the heads correctly.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:26 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The heads did have a .015 clean milling done on them. I wouldn't think that would be enough to caused the gaskets not to seal.

There is oil on all of the plugs, but mostly the back 4. 5, 6, 7 8.
I agree.... .015 mill should not have cause a mismatch.
But while it is apart, now would be a good time to lay the intake manifold in place on the heads while they are still installed and see if there is greater gap along the rear versus the front.
Of course make sure all the old gasket is cleaned off the intake and the heads.

Good luck with your search for an answer.

Several pics of what I just suggested posted here might give us a better view of the issue.

I lean towards a poor rebuild job of the heads being the source of the problem.

Bman (Dennis)
Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

But while it is apart, now would be a good time to lay the intake manifold in place on the heads while they are still installed and see if there is greater gap along the rear versus the front.

Several pics of what I just suggested posted here might give us a better view of the issue.

Bman (Dennis)
I think (and hope) you are correct. Hopefully they can redo the heads and make them right.
bmans vette (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM
Vortecpro
Racer

Bman (Dennis)
I'd like you to consider something: When Len's L82 was manufactured by Chevrolet was it not assembled with a steel shim head gasket? Surely when it was rebuilt a brown box Fel Pro head gasket was employed, now what is the difference in the thickness between the two head gaskets? Could it be possible that number is right around .015?

Len.........I can sell you the correct parts at cost, valves springs, seals I'd say around 175.00. That would be a start.

Last edited by Vortecpro; 10-25-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:58 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

It's a #6 scored cylinder wall.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:50 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'd like you to consider something: When Len's L82 was manufactured by Chevrolet was it not assembled with a steel shim head gasket? Surely when it was rebuilt a brown box Fel Pro head gasket was employed, now what is the difference in the thickness between the two head gaskets? Could it be possible that number is right around .015?

Len.........I can sell you the correct parts at cost, valves springs, seals I'd say around 175.00. That would be a start.
I cannot answer your question as I am not privy to what the rebuild gasket was that was used.
And I imagine you agree that a .015 mill is not much. I have worked with zero decked blocks and there was not any significant mismatch between the heads and intake manifold.
But if the heads were milled inconsistently from front to back by a poor operator, then he might have a leak at the rear of the head.
Just a thought.
That is why more pics in detail would help us who are interested in this mystery. We don't have the luxury of being hands on and inspecting the work up close and personal.
I find myself trying to figure out what is causing his problem partly because it is a detective mystery and partly because I'd like to see Len get the problem resolved without unnecessary work being done.
I am sure there would be a shop out there willing to do a complete new engine overhaul for a problem caused by one simple valve seal missing or improper valve guide installed.
Agree?

Thanks
Dennis
LenWoodruff (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:59 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

I should have some more information tomorrow since I plan a trip down there if I don't hear from them today.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil on plugs after rebuild.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:13 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

If you removed all 16 of the valve stem seals none of the spark plugs would get fouled but it would puff out a little smoke when it's started. Prior the 1950's none of the engines used valve stem seals and they didn't foul spark plugs. It wasn't until the 1960's when the factory engineers realized the lack of valve stem seals was adding to the air pollution and so they began installing seals on the intake valves only and later on they put seals on the exhaust valves. There is something drastically wrong with the #6 cylinder wall or oil rings.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:24 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 71VetteLover
If you removed all 16 of the valve stem seals none of the spark plugs would get fouled but it would puff out a little smoke when it's started. Prior the 1950's none of the engines used valve stem seals and they didn't foul spark plugs. It wasn't until the 1960's when the factory engineers realized the lack of valve stem seals was adding to the air pollution and so they began installing seals on the intake valves only and later on they put seals on the exhaust valves. There is something drastically wrong with the #6 cylinder wall or oil rings.
I am sure they will be pulling the heads soon. Then we can check the bores for the scouring.

While #6 is one of the worst they all of them have oil on the plugs. Especially the rear 4. 5, 6, 7, 8.

Last edited by LenWoodruff; 10-25-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:51 PM
Vortecpro
Racer

I am sure they will be pulling the heads soon. Then we can check the bores for the scouring.

While #6 is one of the worst they all of them have oil on the plugs. Especially the rear 4. 5, 6, 7, 8.

Make very sure you get a good picture of the # 6 cylinder.

Quick Reply: Oil on plugs after rebuild.