C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil on plugs after rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:09 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortecpro
Make very sure you get a good picture of the # 6 cylinder.
Will do that. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:30 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

They took the heads off the car and clearly it is the valve guides that are the primary issue. I took a couple of shots of the cylinders. The most interesting is the #4 (right side) that has part of the piston clean and the other part sooted up by the burned oil.

Right side head, See the clean spot on #4 piston. I couldn't see any cylinder wall problems but didn't turn the engine over.

Left bank. All of the pistons are evenly oil.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:10 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Unfortunately, it still doesn't tell you what the culprit is....Without spinning the motor over and examining the cylinders VERY close, its hard to verify that its not a oil ring problem.

At least there doesn't look to be any major "shadowing" on the skirt side of the cylinder walls indicating a loose piston to wall clearance but....

Its still hard to tell without a full tear down and measuring the cylinders for trueness and oil ring orientation etc.

For me, at this point, I'd mandate a full teardown honestly.
The following 2 users liked this post by ajrothm:
ctmccloskey (03-05-2022), LenWoodruff (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Decades ago, guys would slowly introduce water mist down the carburator on a running engine. Why? It was said that the water removed carbon deposits on the piston head and combustion chamber making it spiffy clean. H-m-m-m-m-m-m. Carbon removal? Kind of like that #4 piston of yours? Think there is a coolant leak on that one?
Look real close at the head gasket.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:30 PM
Vortecpro
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LenWoodruff
They took the heads off the car and clearly it is the valve guides that are the primary issue. I took a couple of shots of the cylinders. The most interesting is the #4 (right side) that has part of the piston clean and the other part sooted up by the burned oil.

Right side head, See the clean spot on #4 piston. I couldn't see any cylinder wall problems but didn't turn the engine over.

Post 154 "But I am suspecting your #6 cylinder has a deep score in it causing the oil"

Post 162

I have seen many cases of cylinder wall scoring caused by dropped lock washers, ball bearings, nuts, bolts, snap rings, and other odds and ends that got into cylinders. Sometimes the object is just big enough to get wedged between the side of the piston top and cylinder wall (like a little spring clip of a carburetor or a tiny piece of debris that was lying in an intake manifold runner and not noticed).

Post 168
"But I'm still betting on a scored cylinder wall OR something really wrong with the oil rings of that #6 cylinder"

Post 177 "There has to be a scored cylinder or something wrong with the oil rings on that #6 piston".

Post 188
It takes a full 50,000 miles to completely wear in oil rings (barrel faces worn completely flat) but they should seal enough within several hundred miles to prevent excessive oil consumption. But as you fouled the #6 spark plug so bad I'm sure there is a score in the #6 cylinder wall. Remember, the 265" and 283" engines only used o-rings and they didn't suffer from high oil consumption.

Post 196
Your knowledge of piston rings is seriously lacking.

Post 215 It's a #6 scored cylinder wall.

Post 218 If you removed all 16 of the valve stem seals none of the spark plugs would get fouled but it would puff out a little smoke when it's started. Prior the 1950's none of the engines used valve stem seals and they didn't foul spark plugs. It wasn't until the 1960's when the factory engineers realized the lack of valve stem seals was adding to the air pollution and so they began installing seals on the intake valves only and later on they put seals on the exhaust valves. There is something drastically wrong with the #6 cylinder wall or oil rings.

It seems the heads were not done right..................Vortecpro

Last edited by Vortecpro; 11-07-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vortecpro
Post 154 "But I am suspecting your #6 cylinder has a deep score in it causing the oil"

Post 162

I have seen many cases of cylinder wall scoring caused by dropped lock washers, ball bearings, nuts, bolts, snap rings, and other odds and ends that got into cylinders. Sometimes the object is just big enough to get wedged between the side of the piston top and cylinder wall (like a little spring clip of a carburetor or a tiny piece of debris that was lying in an intake manifold runner and not noticed).

Post 168
"But I'm still betting on a scored cylinder wall OR something really wrong with the oil rings of that #6 cylinder"

Post 177 "There has to be a scored cylinder or something wrong with the oil rings on that #6 piston".

Post 188
It takes a full 50,000 miles to completely wear in oil rings (barrel faces worn completely flat) but they should seal enough within several hundred miles to prevent excessive oil consumption. But as you fouled the #6 spark plug so bad I'm sure there is a score in the #6 cylinder wall. Remember, the 265" and 283" engines only used o-rings and they didn't suffer from high oil consumption.

Post 196
Your knowledge of piston rings is seriously lacking.

Post 215 It's a #6 scored cylinder wall.

Post 218 If you removed all 16 of the valve stem seals none of the spark plugs would get fouled but it would puff out a little smoke when it's started. Prior the 1950's none of the engines used valve stem seals and they didn't foul spark plugs. It wasn't until the 1960's when the factory engineers realized the lack of valve stem seals was adding to the air pollution and so they began installing seals on the intake valves only and later on they put seals on the exhaust valves. There is something drastically wrong with the #6 cylinder wall or oil rings.

It seems the heads were not done right..................Vortecpro
I agree and my engine buider agrees the heads weren't done correct.

The heads are going back to the machine shop tomorrow with a stern **** kicking by my engine builder.

Wouldn't have just been easier to do it right the 1st time?
Old 11-08-2017, 10:50 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine is going in to have the valve seals looked at in a couple of weeks, hope that turns out to be my problem too.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:09 AM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Valve Stem Seals Will Never Cause Spark Plug Fouling

It looks like the oil rings of the #1 piston are passing some oil at the 2 o'clock position and the oil rings of the #4 piston are passing a LOT oil at the 4 o'clock position. You need to pull those two pistons out and see what's going on. There is a strong possibility the 2nd compression rings were installed upside down on those two pistons because oil is getting past them. It also looks like the cylinders #2 and #6 have a lot of taper which would indicate the block wasn't bored this time around. Prior to the 1950's automotive engines didn't even use valve stem seals and they didn't foul spark plugs. The problem is in your short block; not in your cylinder heads.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:28 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
It looks like the oil rings of the #1 piston are passing some oil at the 2 o'clock position and the oil rings of the #4 piston are passing a LOT oil at the 4 o'clock position. You need to pull those two pistons out and see what's going on. There is a strong possibility the 2nd compression rings were installed upside down on those two pistons because oil is getting past them. It also looks like the cylinders #2 and #6 have a lot of taper which would indicate the block wasn't bored this time around. Prior to the 1950's automotive engines didn't even use valve stem seals and they didn't foul spark plugs. The problem is in your short block; not in your cylinder heads.
The block was bored .040 over with a block plate. I thought there was only a single compression ring on these pistons?
Old 11-09-2017, 07:29 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by See Three
Mine is going in to have the valve seals looked at in a couple of weeks, hope that turns out to be my problem too.
Mine should be done next week. I will let you know how it goes then.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

The block was bored .040 over with a block plate. I thought there was only a single compression ring on these pistons?
The second ring is a scraper not a compression ring. It is designed to remove oil from the cylinder wall.

Mike
Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

They took the heads willoff the car and clearly it is the valve guides that are the primary issue. I took a couple of shots of the cylinders. The most interesting is the #4 (right side) that has part of the piston clean and the other part sooted up by the burned oil.

That piston is clean from bad head gasket for sure. someone had mentioned it previously and they are absolutely correct. Those pistones are way to black on top. Something is deffinately wrong with the build. The exaust and intake vales will be soaked with oil on the valve stems if its seals or guides. I bet they are mostly dry... The culprit is rings. While it is very possible that the water on that clean piston was causing excessive oil burning, inwould suspect if a gasget wasnt assembled right then there are other build problems. I would ask them to pull that piston, remove top ring and place in walls and measure the ring gap. I would bet dirt to dollars the gaps were not checked and they are out of spec.

Last edited by san; 11-09-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:15 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by san
That piston is clean from bad head gasket for sure. someone had mentioned it previously and they are absolutely correct. Those pistones are way to black on top. Something is deffinately wrong with the build. The exaust and intake vales will be soaked with oil on the valve stems if its seals or guides. I bet they are mostly dry... The culprit is rings. While it is very possible that the water on that clean piston was causing excessive oil burning, inwould suspect if a gasget wasnt assembled right then there are other build problems. I would ask them to pull that piston, remove top ring and place in walls and measure the ring gap. I would bet dirt to dollars the gaps were not checked and they are out of spec.
The valves a both intake & exhaust are soaked with oil and are as black as the pistons.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:04 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Wow, just came across this thread. Len, I have to ask. Is this 'engine builder' working out of his mothers basement?

I commend your patience. The second that I discovered that it was burning that much oil, and ABSOLUTELY after seeing the shavings on the drain plug that car would have been towed back to their shop. This is clearly either negligence, incompetence, or more likely a combination of both.

This is very clearly their problem. I hope they do right by you and get it fixed asap.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:44 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The valves a both intake & exhaust are soaked with oil and are as black as the pistons.
Are ALL the valves soaked??? That is the real question, and is egr valve on your intake at cylinder 4, pretty sure it is, which would soak your intake ENTIRELY for all cylinders, which would explain all the black pistons, which means the head gasget did in fact make it look like all cylinders where burning oil. This is a "what the hell" kind of moment. I had passenger side head gasget go on a new head swap i did....water froze in block....heater quit during night...long story short, i dont think it used any oil but i only drove it for about 100 miles before fixing, piston was cleaner where it went bad, couldnt find a bad spot on gasget. Also happened on a 351winsor i had. Piston was cleaner, couldnt find a bad spot on gasget. It happens sometimes...and the amount of coolant they go down is minimal...its like they blow more pressure back into coolant system then they actually comsume.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by san
Are ALL the valves soaked??? That is the real question, and is egr valve on your intake at cylinder 4, pretty sure it is, which would soak your intake ENTIRELY for all cylinders, which would explain all the black pistons, which means the head gasget did in fact make it look like all cylinders where burning oil. This is a "what the hell" kind of moment. I had passenger side head gasget go on a new head swap i did....water froze in block....heater quit during night...long story short, i dont think it used any oil but i only drove it for about 100 miles before fixing, piston was cleaner where it went bad, couldnt find a bad spot on gasget. Also happened on a 351winsor i had. Piston was cleaner, couldnt find a bad spot on gasget. It happens sometimes...and the amount of coolant they go down is minimal...its like they blow more pressure back into coolant system then they actually comsume.
I always been told that the #6 was where the EGR was located. But it is on the right side.

The black oil soot could have come off if some coolant was drops in the cylinder when the head came off?
Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 PM
NeverTooOld
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Gasoline engines have been around for a little over 100 years but valve stem seals have only been used for the last 50 of them and often on the intake valves only. It's common practice to not use any valve stem seals in engines that run on "dry" fuels like propane or natural gas because the slight amount of oil that runs down the valve stem helps extend the valve face and seat life by providing a "cushion" to the closing valve. The point is bad valve stem seals will never cause spark plugs to oil foul as only damaged cylinder walls and piston rings cause that. If one of the bronze guides somehow got seized to the valve and the guide got demolished you'd know it because that cylinder would start missing from the sideways movement of the valve but that's highly unlikely because the guides are pressed in and then reamed for about 0015" clearance.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil on plugs after rebuild.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default New Builder

I am not sure what bronze wall valve guides the machinist put in the head. But he did put in new valve guides.
Better get a new builder those plugs look like the originals in my 100,000 mile L-82
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fake
Better get a new builder those plugs look like the originals in my 100,000 mile L-82
When I took those pictures of the plugs that was after about 1200 miles on the new engine.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:24 PM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NeverTooOld
Gasoline engines have been around for a little over 100 years but valve stem seals have only been used for the last 50 of them and often on the intake valves only. It's common practice to not use any valve stem seals in engines that run on "dry" fuels like propane or natural gas because the slight amount of oil that runs down the valve stem helps extend the valve face and seat life by providing a "cushion" to the closing valve. The point is bad valve stem seals will never cause spark plugs to oil foul as only damaged cylinder walls and piston rings cause that. If one of the bronze guides somehow got seized to the valve and the guide got demolished you'd know it because that cylinder would start missing from the sideways movement of the valve but that's highly unlikely because the guides are pressed in and then reamed for about 0015" clearance.
I hope your wrong about the rings. I have had this oil through the valve guides on this engine before in the 80's. So I don't follow your logic that it has to be the rings.

Quick Reply: Oil on plugs after rebuild.