C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 smog pump and parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:24 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Default 1969 smog pump and parts

does anybody know what other GM smog/a.i.r. pumps and diverter valves fit ?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:30 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 179 Posts

First question would be; small block or big block. There are significant differences in the systems. Also, if asking if you can get a '69 PU, Camaro, Chevelle, etc system and bolt it on, the answer is no.
If a small block; the '68 and earlier pump and valve (in most uses) are very different and pumps and diverter valves from '69 on are very similar. What would separate say a '69 to '72 pump would be the date stamp. There are diverter valves that have the exact same configuration, but have a stamp incorrect for a Corvette. Pulleys, clamps, hoses and the plastic fan are another story where type and or the stamped number relates to $ or $$$.
The corvette small block vs other models, like a Camaro, uses a spacer on the pump to extend the pulley and brackets will be different. You can put together a Corvette system that looks correct to 90%+ of C3 owners, but has parts that have the incorrect numbers.
Take a look at the 1500. to 2500. ebay (or from a well known smog restoration source) systems and you will see aftermarket manifold tubes, restored check valves, repro hoses and clamps, restored diverter valve, original brackets, elbow and spacer, restored and most likely restamped pump, repro fan, wrong or repro pulley and new hardware. I bought one of those systems and since changed out the pulley, fan, both hoses, 4 clamps to the original correct parts.

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
does anybody know what other GM smog/a.i.r. pumps and diverter valves fit ?
Old 08-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi toy,
There's another post asking about the pump.
Was there any maintenance schedule for them? (I don't see anything in the CSM.)
Are the pumps being rebuilt internally?
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Toylman pretty much summed it up. When you say "fit", do you mean one that works, or acceptable to pass a visual emission test, or NCRS correct? You can cobble together a system from ebay parts so you have a visually somewhat correct looking system, functioning or not. You could also go to Crane Corvette for a complete restored set up, but I do not know 1- how they have so many set ups available, 2- how good and correct the restoration is, and 3- would it pass NCRS judging if that is what you are looking to do. And if you have a 400 or 435 car, the correct bracket to rotate the diverter valve 90* is expensive although there are repros available, again depending on the intended purpose.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:19 PM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Hi Alan, The pumps have sealed ball bearings front and back so they cannot be serviced and have to be destroyed to remove. I have not rebuilt a pump, but have instructions from Terry (tfringo). Once frozen, the bearing has seized up and the pump must be rebuilt.
Devaning is very easy; remove the back and simply break up the vanes and shake them out. They are made of what appears to be a bakalite material.
Here's some pictures of a pump dated July 25, 1968 (with external relief valve) showing the front bearing with the plastic seal removed, the actual GM part number of this pump is 7805650 (most think the part number is 7801149 which is simply the cast number of the rear cover) and the pressed on fan mount which the pulley bolts to. It's not frozen and I intend to install new bearings in this one.
Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi toy,
There's another post asking about the pump.
Was there any maintenance schedule for them? (I don't see anything in the CSM.)
Are the pumps being rebuilt internally?
Regards,
Alan

Old 08-20-2017, 04:12 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

sorry 427 3x2,,

but pumps can be bought rebuilt from auto parts stores for $75-150,i have brackets,but I hate to pay $2,000 to some of these people on-line [seems over=priced],GM didn't just make the A.I.R. system for corvettes alone,id bet 99% of these parts are used on most every GM vehicle from back then
Old 08-20-2017, 06:18 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

The point I was trying to make is yes, you can assemble a system with auto parts store pump, diverter valve, check valves, and manifold trees, hoses, and clamps. Yes it may work properly or it may not. It depends on what you are looking to do. I bought a system years ago only to find out is from a 73 454- didn't know any better back then. The real pisser was I gave my original 435 pump, brackets, diverter valve, hoses, and clamps away back in the late 70's. And the hard to come by tri power only diverter valve mounting bracket. Will it fit, yes. Will it work, yes. Is it correct for a 435 engined car, no. If you are looking for parts that are correctly dated, have the correct casting numbers on them, correct date codes, etc, it will be expensive. I bought a system years ago only to find out is from a 73 454- didn't know any better back then. It would fit and work, but not even visually correct. The real pisser was, I gave my original 435 pump, brackets, diverter valve, hoses, and clamps away back in the late 70's. And the hard to come by tri power only diverter valve mounting bracket also.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:46 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

sorry 427 3x2,,

but pumps can be bought rebuilt from auto parts stores for $75-150,i have brackets,but I hate to pay $2,000 to some of these people on-line [seems over=priced],GM didn't just make the A.I.R. system for corvettes alone,id bet 99% of these parts are used on most every GM vehicle from back then
Correctly dated pumps themselves are not hard to find and will probably be around $200 for a rebuildable/restorable pump. They are not very rare. Its the other parts that are expensive and GM did not interchange too many parts in 69 other then the pump, tower clamps and the 992 check valves. I was under the impression everything else was unique to the corvette and also for other cars. I think the same pulley was used on Camaros and Chevelles for big blocks. The diverters were a bit different on different cars but some did look similar. Originals are very expensive. Not sure if the brackets needed for the 69 Vette are the same for other makes.

I am pretty sure everything that is hard to find as original is reproduced. I think Crane actually makes the diverter and its expensive at around $400 maybe. But an original is way more.

The exhaust tubes are reproed and there is a slight difference in how they are welded versus the originals but its really the only choice as originals are just impossible to find and the difference is very small.

The Crane set up for $1500+ have a mix of original parts and repro parts. I think the only original parts they give you are the pump, maybe pulley, maybe brackets and 992 check valves.

I full on original restored setup will probably be double that.

Over the last few years I ave seen a few eBay sellers who had take off parts in the 1500+ range but they looked like original parts. However, if not dated right you would still need another pump and tower clamps which are out there but will take some time to find.

Its just how crazy you want to get.

One more thing about 69s. Early 69s up to about Feb 69 used a slightly different pump tensioning bracket versus later cars. The early cars had a smaller slot to connect the pump to. Later cars had a longer slot.

I have original parts if you need pics of anything but I don't have diverters for tripowers. My cars are 390hp versions....I'll get a tripower eventually...
Old 04-21-2020, 01:27 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

still looking for the diverter plate,that turns the valve to clear the tri-power
Old 04-21-2020, 01:51 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

still looking for the diverter plate,that turns the valve to clear the tri-power
There are 2 on ebay. Neither are cheap. You can check with cranscorvette.com. he seems to always have stuff, but more than likely the plate would be a repro.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:10 AM
toylman
Burning Brakes

Unless you are willing to pay a lot, best to buy a reproduction. Even if you wanted to have a 100% original system, would it be worth it?
If you had the car judged and a judge absolutely knew it was a reproduction (doubtful), what would you lose, 1 point?

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 smog pump and parts

Quick Reply: 1969 smog pump and parts