C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My NEW and improved 383 CFI build

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Default My NEW and improved 383 CFI build

So I tore down my old 383 motor that I installed 12+ years ago for a long over due refresh and some improvements that I've been meaning to to for a while now. Improvements were more compression, New different pistons, much larger custom cam from Straub Technologies, (old cam was Comp 268XFI) moved to a roller cam, made my parallel plumbing more custom with all AN-6 fittings, custom fuel fittings at the TBs and custom bent tubes and a few other small mods that needed to be done. The TC is a Yank 9.5" 3,200.

This is what I came up with after about month of planning, machining and throwing it back together, this motor should be 450HP+ at the crank. Sorry for all the pics, but I wanted to show various stages and the plumbing for anyone that may want to go this route on their CF vs. rubber tubes.

It took me about a week to get this back in only because of the heat here in Arizona has been brutal this summer and I just didn't feel like installing it and working on it like I normally would do in the winter months. So, now that's it's in and running today, I am going to schedule some dyno time hopefully within the next month to tweak the current tune which is not for the motor, but good enough to run it and seat the rings real quick. At the end of the this is short vid of the startup today...It lives again only better this time. Enjoy.

The following 4 users liked this post by Buccaneer:
AirBusPilot (03-04-2018), Illegal Vette (10-17-2020), worship79 (10-06-2017), zachaeous (08-31-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice
Looks great as well
Old 08-20-2017, 09:19 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Cool
Old 08-20-2017, 09:42 PM
tysonsbeak
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:43 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Like, Like, Like
Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

This makes me miss my '82 XFire....
Great build Buccaneer!
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Man that engine looks beautiful. The amount of detail speaks for a large effort there.

Congrats.

Reminds me of a low miles '84 C4 near me that's got cooling problems but the owner wants to sell it for a song. I just don't have the room in the garage and 2 other project cars to work on. But I love that cross-fire.

BTW what computer/ECM do you run in your 82 Buck? Sorry I don't know what year or vehicle the 7747 ECM is or from.

Last edited by cardo0; 08-20-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 08-21-2017, 06:31 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I am assuming those Dart's are 195's 64CC heads? Pistons? Cam specs? Looks awesome!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:34 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Very nice, you have the knack for detail and quality. You can see it in the work you do. This will be a sleeper!

Last edited by Torqued Off; 08-21-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I was trying to figure out what pro 1 head even had the exhaust cross over and small enough ports to match up to the tbi cross ram intakes. 180 cc was my guess

I noticed small spring diameter compared to pocket size with just shims and no cups. Was that something straub tech supplied with the cam?

You did a beautiful job. I know next to nothing about tbi c3s. Do you need or have your set modified with chips. .....
Old 08-21-2017, 12:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Good job, nice and clean looking too nobody would be the wiser

Tell us more about your ecm, cam details cant wait to hear how that runs. You sure have made a long term commitment to the CFI need to post thsi in C4 tech too.

Get some action vids when you can!

Last edited by cv67; 08-21-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Great build and pics
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Man that engine looks beautiful. The amount of detail speaks for a large effort there.

Congrats.

Reminds me of a low miles '84 C4 near me that's got cooling problems but the owner wants to sell it for a song. I just don't have the room in the garage and 2 other project cars to work on. But I love that cross-fire.

BTW what computer/ECM do you run in your 82 Buck? Sorry I don't know what year or vehicle the 7747 ECM is or from.
Thank you for the kind comment. I run a 1227747, Ostrich and EBL. Custom tune by me and HorsePower Connection in Lake Havasu. This motor is running on the old motor tune which should be fine until I schedule a visit back to the dyno. With that said, I did make a few changes to the tune to ensure it would not hurt the motor if I get "jiggy" with it.

I am assuming those Dart's are 195's 64CC heads? Pistons? Cam specs? Looks awesome!
Yep, those are Dart heads, but 180s. Dart doesn't make a 195cc head, but they do make a 200cc head which my motor would be a little large IMO. I had a somewhat long talk with Chris Straub about my heads. He said that they would support 540hp and how much power do you want to make? That's kind of a loaded question, but since I'm not building a race car nor is the car set up for crazy power, I had to tame it down a bit so 450hp is the low side and 470hp would be the high side. Chris said I'll be right in that range with his calculation and that works for me. My heads are not stock 180 heads and have been milled a little as well.

Very nice, you have the knack for detail and quality. You can see it in the work you do. This will be a sleeper!
Thank you for the attention to detail comment. I think when you go to a car show and open the hood, it should look like you did a little extra work under there, but not too blingy. I also like the sleeper look as well, never underestimate the power of the CFI system, it can run well.

I was trying to figure out what pro 1 head even had the exhaust cross over and small enough ports to match up to the tbi cross ram intakes. 180 cc was my guess

I noticed small spring diameter compared to pocket size with just shims and no cups. Was that something straub tech supplied with the cam?

You did a beautiful job. I know next to nothing about tbi c3s. Do you need or have your set modified with chips. .....
Yep, Dart Pro1 - 180 with a little extra work. Just used locators with shims and the springs that Chris Straub suggested to use with his cam.

I do not run any type of chip with this ECM. It's all in the Ostrich. I guess if I'm ever satisfied with the tune I could burn a perm chip and call it a day, but I don't think that day will ever happen and there is always room for improvement.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:39 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Good job, nice and clean looking too nobody would be the wiser

Tell us more about your ecm, cam details cant wait to hear how that runs. You sure have made a long term commitment to the CFI need to post thsi in C4 tech too.

Get some action vids when you can!
Thank you, I appreciate it, it's a never ending project. The ECM is a GM 1227747, EBL "classic", Ostririch and our HAM board. I used to run the 1228746, but it died on me, so I just happened to have a 7747 that I was modifying as a spare at the time and in it went. I also have another 7747 as a spare...just in case I need one.

I'm waiting on posting anything on the cam until after I take it back to the dyno in Lake Havasu, AZ and tweak on it a bit, this motor is still on the old 383 motor tune, but runs ok...for now. I'll see about posting data after the tune or at the dyno. EFI University is just down the street from Horsepower Connection. I learned to tune at EFI U in CA and then they moved to Lake Havasu. The guy Brian at HPC was the instructor of my class and is a great guy with tons of knowledge as well as a 7 sec Nova with a turbo. I think he was going to install twin turbos on it the last time I was there.

I didn't post all this on the C4 forum, but I did start a thread there with a link to here on the C3 forum. Didn't want to post all these pics again when they could just look here.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

How are you liking living there?

Go back and forth about picking up a cheap late C3 or early C4 as a beater once things turn around but know nobody that can tune the thing
that something you can do via mail order or need the car?
Have no interest or time to learn about it myself and dread driving a stock one of either vintage.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

How are you liking living there?

Go back and forth about picking up a cheap late C3 or early C4 as a beater once things turn around but know nobody that can tune the thing
that something you can do via mail order or need the car?
Have no interest or time to learn about it myself and dread driving a stock one of either vintage.
PM sent BTW.

Anyway... I only do tuning on my motor using TunerPro RT since that is the only app I use for a CF and don't like tuning other peoples motors for a variety of reasons. Email tunes are not the way to go IMO either. The only proper way to tune a motor is LIVE on the vehicle on a dyno, every motor is differnt. I know there are probably lots of people here that may disagree and argue with that, but it is the truth and the safe way to do things. I know what you mean about having no interest, and it is a somewhat steep learning curve, but it is a doable with a little time.

I don't use the many good dyno shops within the Phoenix area available and there are a lot of good LS shops and LS tuners also, I just load up the trailer and go to Lake Havasu. EFI University and Horsepower Connection are the ONLY two places I would recommend IMO and both are in Lake Havasu AZ. EFI U. also has done four or more cars for the show Street Outlaws as well (Doc brought his (street beast) car to EFI U. and had the complete ECM system done by them and went twin EFI) and my guy Brian has tuned some cars for that show as well. They don't come necessarily cheap, but they are good. Even as a former student I did get discounts, but they are still a little high, but IMO well worth it and will continue to learn a lot from them.

My engine machinist here knows a few of the Street Outlaws guys and says that Kye Kelly is fast along with a few others. My guy also has a standing public callout race with Reaper (posted on FP) this Sept at Tucson Dragway for $10K, I plan to be there.

UPDATE: I just called HPC and Brian said anytime within the next 30 days would work out good to get the car on the dyno. I just need to plan things out a little, load the car up and take a trip to Havasu for a two day vacation...Awesome!

Last edited by Buccaneer; 08-21-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

pm appreciated
Know mail order isnt the way to go & get not wanting to tune others..if something else in their car isnt right they blame it the tune. lol

How tough is smog for cars like that out there? Heard if you get classic car insurance its expemt how old does the car have to be?

These cars are so cheap it would be hard to turn a good deal down
Anyone else that would tune one out there? Only other option would be to fly one of 2 members down to do it.

Is Tuscon 1/8 mi now or still 1/4?

Get notified of new replies

To My NEW and improved 383 CFI build

Old 08-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

pm appreciated
Know mail order isnt the way to go & get not wanting to tune others..if something else in their car isnt right they blame it the tune. lol

How tough is smog for cars like that out there? Heard if you get classic car insurance its expemt how old does the car have to be?

These cars are so cheap it would be hard to turn a good deal down
Anyone else that would tune one out there? Only other option would be to fly one of 2 members down to do it.

Is Tuscon 1/8 mi now or still 1/4?
I have collectors insurance and exempt from emissions. The cutoff year is 1966 or newer need emissions testing unless you have collectors insurance. I think this link will have the answers, but not 100% sure. https://azdot.gov/mvd/OnlineServices

I was down at Tucson track a couple times earlier this year at a private track rental and it was still 1/4 mile. Wild Horse Pass is the new owner track up here in Chandler AZ. Friday night drags T/T starts up again for the winter Sept 8th...
http://www.racewildhorse.net/index.php/events/
Old 08-21-2017, 04:58 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I have a residence in lake havasu city AZ. I avoid the summer and kind of come and go. Starting around presidents day every year for the international fireworks show. Maybe I can l meet up with you sometime. I'm a dedicated quad rider and attend most of the boat races down at blue water.

George
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Wow....outstanding!
Super Sano build and a CFI to boot!
What do each of the throttle bodies flow now?
Tell me about the fuel system and exhaust

Please update how it runs......so unique.

Jebby

Quick Reply: My NEW and improved 383 CFI build