C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for track day, what do you use ?

Old 08-26-2017, 08:44 AM
OZGreen69
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shocks for track day, what do you use ?

Wondering what would be the best shocks for track day, short of custom made special, for a C3 F41 springs, small block no slick tires. I would prefer them not externally adjustable ( Class req ).
What do you guys are using ??

Thanx a million.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:18 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,326 Likes on 1,056 Posts

I used koni adjustables. Which would fit in with your non externally adjustble rules

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-adjustable-shock-absorbers-gas-rear-koni-1963-1982.html
Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Bilstein "sport" is a good compromise
Old 08-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Yep, I've got Bilstein Sports on mine, a good option without spending megabucks. Not sure if there's any affordable suppliers here in Aus, I didn't find any, bought them from Summit (with a bunch of other stuff to help justify shipping). Could get the Bilsteins from the US for almost the same price as KYBs in Aus, check out the price of the KYBs on Summit if you want to know how badly we're getting ripped off on shocks over here... There's vids of my car competing on YouTube, mine has factory gymkhana springs and swaybars also, if you want to get an idea of how well it all works.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:46 PM
OZGreen69
Advanced

Thank you all, for your replies.

For the Koni, I ear that at full hard setting they just are like the Bilstein sport ? Again hard to check if you don't the comparo yourself!

Bilstein appears to be a reasonable choice .

Metalhead, for sure that I watch your videos. My car is to be used in group S. And yes ! We are really ripped off here, even with an extravagant freight cost, it is still cheaper !!

One shop offered me to re valve some Konis, haven't asked for the cost !!!

What about the QA1 ??
Old 08-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
I used koni adjustables. Which would fit in with your non externally adjustble rules

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1963-1982.html

Thats what I have, great Shocks even for a street car
Old 01-09-2018, 10:41 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Yep, I've got Bilstein Sports on mine, a good option without spending megabucks. Not sure if there's any affordable suppliers here in Aus, I didn't find any, bought them from Summit (with a bunch of other stuff to help justify shipping). Could get the Bilsteins from the US for almost the same price as KYBs in Aus, check out the price of the KYBs on Summit if you want to know how badly we're getting ripped off on shocks over here... There's vids of my car competing on YouTube, mine has factory gymkhana springs and swaybars also, if you want to get an idea of how well it all works.
Hi... could you post a link to that video? Or did I miss it in this thread?

Thanks!!!

I.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 AM
DorianC3
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 260 Posts

Found it, I think:

Old 01-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

That's one of them, yep. https://www.youtube.com/user/metalhead140
Old 01-09-2018, 05:23 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I think there are three things to consider.

1: How often will you use your car on the track?

2: How much are you willing to spend?

3: Are you competent at chassis tuning? After some hot laps, would you know if you need more or less rebound and compression dampening?

I think for a lot of amateurs starting out, more adjustments just adds to things they can screw up. I'm not saying you couldn't become an ace at chassis tuning, just giving you something to think about.

For an off the shelf bolt it on and go shock, the Bilstein Sports are hard to beat. If you want better and adjustment, go Koni like GKull said.

Mike
Old 01-09-2018, 05:36 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I run the KONI adjustable on my 77 , if you wind them up they do firm right up as said. Interestingly ,I read the paper that comes with them and they state the adjustability is to compensate for wear ,not ride control.

I had a KONI start to leak , I took it to West Coast Suspensions and the dude just said its cheaper for us to sell you a new one @$400 each.

went home and ordered from summit , they are the only place to buy ,with the I parcel shipping ,so unbelievably cheap compared to any other shipping from USA. (never tried Jegs ).

Hey OZ , I still have the leaking one here , if your interested
Old 01-09-2018, 06:37 PM
OZGreen69
Advanced

v2racing thanks for the input. Yes you are right, the more variable and the more you can chase your tail ! Debug the car first and learn it. And then go with one mod at the time. Serve me well in the past.

Yes Bazza, the Koni are a funny thing, you can adjust the "firmness" but the instruction says it is to compensate wear ??!! None the less good shocks but apparently prone to leak ?
Anyway , I went for Bilstein from Summit, and guess what ?? Checking the amended rules for 2018 , now externally adjustable shocks are allowed !! But with steel bodies. So now how much money I am willing to spend on my future set ?? Club racing hey ???

Get notified of new replies

To Shocks for track day, what do you use ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shocks for track day, what do you use ?