C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quits while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 10:03 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Quits while driving.

Trying to find a place to start looking. My Vette will run fine but on occasion will just quit. Lights work and there is no sputtering like it was running out of fuel, it just quits. It wont restart by popping the clutch but if I come to a complete stop it will start just fine. Msd distributor and 6al digital box new plugs and wires, charges fine has good throttle response from the Holley carb. Just need a place to start looking
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Im assuming it is up to temp when it quits... I wouls suspect electrical, likely the msd ignition.
The following users liked this post:
Doug Kraft (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 02:01 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

If it's warmed up when it quits, try replacing the coil. A coil getting ready to go bad will shut down when warm and stop sending voltage to the distributor. After a few minutes it will restart and run fine.
Then next time it quits, quickly pop the hood and check if you have fuel to the carb. It could also be a bad fuel pump.
The following users liked this post:
Doug Kraft (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

A carb'd engine will generally sputter and die out if there is a fuel supply problem. On the other hand, an electrical failure that causes loss of spark will make the engine suddenly shut down.

Possibly some wiring that moves with the engine is making intermittent contact??
Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 PM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I would say coil as well, but intermittently I would suspect a bad connection somewhere to the MSD box, maybe the power lead for it is missing a beat or is in an overload condition, you could maybe try running with everything on,AC,LIGHT,BLOWER,HAZARDS...see if something trips it to quit, be sure to rev the throttle a bit and put car in gear when running some tests.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:31 PM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Kraft
Trying to find a place to start looking. My Vette will run fine but on occasion will just quit. Lights work and there is no sputtering like it was running out of fuel, it just quits. It wont restart by popping the clutch but if I come to a complete stop it will start just fine. Msd distributor and 6al digital box new plugs and wires, charges fine has good throttle response from the Holley carb. Just need a place to start looking

If you're using the IGN terminal of your fuse block to power your MSD it's very possible your ignition switch is bad because it powers the IGN terminal when the key is turned ON. If your ignition switch is the original it's way past due for replacement anyway.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:44 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

I would suspect the coil also. I had a hell of a time with this ages ago. It would be running just fine and then just die. Of course, as soon as I opened the hood --the coil would start cooling down -- and then it would start again. I kept thinking it was fuel related.
I actually figured it out late one night when I had my timing light hooked up and the engine running... just sitting there spacing and holding the timing light blinking up against the wall.... timing light just going through it's routine blinking pattern....and I'm spacing.... and then it skips, and a slight miss. wtf? So, that makes me pay attention, and sure enough, it's actually missing... just barely noticable. So, I swap my coil out for the one in my old Datsun... and it runs steady.

If you don't have a spare coil, then I'd get generic replacement coil, and check this.

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
If it's warmed up when it quits, try replacing the coil. A coil getting ready to go bad will shut down when warm and stop sending voltage to the distributor. After a few minutes it will restart and run fine.
Then next time it quits, quickly pop the hood and check if you have fuel to the carb. It could also be a bad fuel pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Quits while driving.

Quick Reply: Quits while driving.