C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light on/soft pedal issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
Good deal. Wasn't that a fun run? C3 brakes are awful to work on with the proportioning valve, booster nuts you can't get at, a drum parking brake and extra bleeders.

Wait a few days and pop the lid on the MC to double check fluid level.
Sounds good. Thanks for your help! I live in Vegas and tomorrow there is a big car show benefiting the victims of Sunday. I really wanted to go. So glad I'll be able to now!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:48 AM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny76
So I ended up ordering a new booster and master cylinder from Vetteco.com. They are really nice, stamped on the MC, and I ended up ordering the booster now rather than later because the new one does have the insert for the deeper hole. The booster and master that were on the car were apparently not as original as I thought.

Anyway, yesterday I got everything installed, including the upper left nut on the booster! Not easy, but with a little patience, it actually didn't take me long. I bled the system, and today, low-and-behold, I stomped on the brake and the brake light flickered. I did it again and went out for good!!! So when I thought the valve was plugged or not working, guess it's all good. Only thing is now, the brake light won't come on when the parking brake is engaged either. Weird. I don't care about that, but I just hope everything is working properly.

Regardless, she runs great, stops better than ever before. I'm very happy today!!
There may be a different light for emergency brake....i believe there is but not sure.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Danny76
Instructor

So, I spoke a little too soon. Went to a car show last night about 20 miles away. When I got to the exit, began braking and my brake well ALL the way to floor. Scared the crap out of me. It wasn't even like that before I did the work. Then the damn brake light came back on. When I got there, I noticed the MC is leaking around the top (top doesn't look like it was tight and the brand new paint on it corroded off.) I'm hoping it's just air?? Since that brake light went out when I stomped on the brake, maybe there was a bunch of air in that area? I really hope that's all. I've spent too much time/money on these brakes. Everything is new!
Old 10-08-2017, 12:45 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I wish I could say, ya that's all it was, a pocket of air. We know better. Back to the drawing board. I assume the MC is still full? Something let go, no doubt, scares the hell out of ya. You may not find a wet spot at any of the four corners right away. I found out you can have a leak and not a drop on the floor at first. You need to get the car up on ramps and take a look at all the lines and PV. Then keep pumping the pedal. Now check the calipers REAL CLOSE! Maybe something simple like a defective brass fitting at the MC. You didn't ruin the threads did you?
And WTH? about the paint. Why can't a company that paints a MC use brakefluid-proof paint? That's a no brainer. I was so mad, the paint just wiped right off with a rag on my rebuilt MC. Unacceptable.
Good Luck
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 AM
Danny76
Instructor

I wish I could say, ya that's all it was, a pocket of air. We know better. Back to the drawing board. I assume the MC is still full? Something let go, no doubt, scares the hell out of ya. You may not find a wet spot at any of the four corners right away. I found out you can have a leak and not a drop on the floor at first. You need to get the car up on ramps and take a look at all the lines and PV. Then keep pumping the pedal. Now check the calipers REAL CLOSE! Maybe something simple like a defective brass fitting at the MC. You didn't ruin the threads did you?
And WTH? about the paint. Why can't a company that paints a MC use brakefluid-proof paint? That's a no brainer. I was so mad, the paint just wiped right off with a rag on my rebuilt MC. Unacceptable.
Good Luck
No kidding on the paint. It looks like crap already. Ugh, I'm so frustrated!! I'll have to her her up again and see if I can find anything. Yes, master is still full. After the first day of the new MC, it did go down a little, but that was also when I got the brake light off, so I though maybe that sucked a little fluid in. But yes, after last night, the MC is still full. I really hope I didn't ruin the threads. It didn't seem like any problem getting the fittings in. I'm so frustrated!!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 04:42 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

There is always that very slight possibility of a bad (new) master cyl. I have heard it happens. I sent my first replacement back. Would not hold pressure, so I never got to drive it like you did. Second unit I paid a little more and its on the car now.

On the front and rear line ports of the master, you didn't put a hardware bolt in there as a plug, did you, to test the MC?

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-09-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:35 AM
Danny76
Instructor

Update:

After all of the above issues, I went ahead and bled the heck out of the system again. Ran about 3 or 4 quarts through it. Air seemed out so I went and did it again, and the rear right still appeared to have bubbles coming out, but I wasn't sure. Anyway, I went and test drove it and the brake felt really good. And the brake light went out when I stomped on it. So, good to go right? Wrong.
I just went to another car show. I was driving down the highway like last week and when I got to my exit, brake pedal to the floor, brak light back on. I'm at a loss. I don't know what the heck else I can do. Has anybody had anything like this?? Oh, and HeadsUP, my MC looks like even more crap now. The cap wasn't super tight so I was able to bend it a bit in the middle to make it snug, but oil is still leaking on the sides. The paint is total crap now. I feel defeated at this point. I've worked so hard and I'm worse than when I started. I'm at a loss.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Just remembered you saying that it seemed like air was leaking past the bleeder screw threads when you were bleeding that particular caliper. I had the same issue on two out of six bleed screws. Went to NAPA got a few new ones. When I installed, I applied a dab of anti-seize on the threads. Then snug it down. When you go to open the screw again, just barely crack it open. Any farther and air will leak past the threads. That was when using the vacuum tool.

On the MC lid: I have found that some companies that make the rubber gasket, made it just a tad too small. Had to search and buy a couple brands to get the proper fit. And I have seen the Bails of different heights also. Had some really nice chrome ones but they wouldn't seal the lid, too short.

Paint: Summit Racing has a "chassis" paint that so far is unaffected by brakefluid. Its satin black and will make that new MC look better.

Leak: You still have a "pisser" somewhere. I suspect the piston seals in one of the calipers. But which one? Which one had air at the bleeder screw? Keep at it!
Old 10-22-2017, 11:46 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hi Danny,
You may have a case of 'rotor run out'.
A warped rotor or bad bearings can cause a 'good' firm pedal to get soft.

How to check:
https://www.nucapperformance.com/bra...gn-install.php
The following users liked this post:
Danny76 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Just remembered you saying that it seemed like air was leaking past the bleeder screw threads when you were bleeding that particular caliper. I had the same issue on two out of six bleed screws. Went to NAPA got a few new ones. When I installed, I applied a dab of anti-seize on the threads. Then snug it down. When you go to open the screw again, just barely crack it open. Any farther and air will leak past the threads. That was when using the vacuum tool.

On the MC lid: I have found that some companies that make the rubber gasket, made it just a tad too small. Had to search and buy a couple brands to get the proper fit. And I have seen the Bails of different heights also. Had some really nice chrome ones but they wouldn't seal the lid, too short.

Paint: Summit Racing has a "chassis" paint that so far is unaffected by brakefluid. Its satin black and will make that new MC look better.

Leak: You still have a "pisser" somewhere. I suspect the piston seals in one of the calipers. But which one? Which one had air at the bleeder screw? Keep at it!
Originally the front bleeders seemed to be leaking at the threads, so I actually did replace those with speed bleeders. The new ones had an anti seize as well so they seemed to fit really well. This time I did the 2 man method with my dad. I had a clear tube on the valve so I could see the air, and the rear right was the only that didn't seem to get completely clear. But with that method there shouldn't be any air getting in through the bleeder. I just don't understand why both times I bled, the light went out, the brake felt good, and only once I drove it for more than 10 minutes did the brake go down and the light come on.
Thanks for the tip on the paint. Honestly, I don't even care anymore about that. If I can get to it one day I will. Right now, I just want to damn thing to stop without scaring the crap out of me!
Old 10-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Danny76
Instructor

I just remembered something...when I bought the car, he told me that his mechanic recommended the right wheel bearing be replaced soon. Any chance that has something to do with this?! That's the wheel where the air bubbles kept coming out.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:21 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Danny,

Yes, it very well could. Anything that makes the rotor move back and forth inside the caliper will shake the caliper pistons and introduce air into the system. On both the occasions that your pedal hit the floor you were coming off an exit, which makes me think that you had been running on the highway - the place that this will happen.

Do you have a pulsing pedal when you stop? Maybe more brake dust on one wheel?

You can jack it up and see if there is any movement in the wheels, if there is this could be your problem.

Good luck and keep it up, these cars are a little finicky but when you do get it right they are very rewarding.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Originally Posted by silver74vette
Danny,

Yes, it very well could. Anything that makes the rotor move back and forth inside the caliper will shake the caliper pistons and introduce air into the system. On both the occasions that your pedal hit the floor you were coming off an exit, which makes me think that you had been running on the highway - the place that this will happen.

Do you have a pulsing pedal when you stop? Maybe more brake dust on one wheel?

You can jack it up and see if there is any movement in the wheels, if there is this could be your problem.

Good luck and keep it up, these cars are a little finicky but when you do get it right they are very rewarding.
Thanks for that. I'll have to jack it up when I have some time and see if there is movement. If it is something with the bearings, I'm assuming I'll have to take it somewhere. I don't have the proper tools for that job and I'm sure it's not easy.

Oh, as far as pulsing, could you describe what a "pulsing" would feel like? At this point, I don't know what it should even feel like if it where perfect.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Oh, as far as pulsing, could you describe what a "pulsing" would feel like? At this point, I don't know what it should even feel like if it where perfect.

Pulsing pedal , is when you push your foot down hard enough to engage the brakes to slow the car , you can feel the pedal pushing back up in a rhythmic pulse .

What causes this is when you push down , you put a force on the brake fluid (which doesn't compress) so something has to give , so the brake pistons get pushed into the brake rotor and squeeze it . Now if the rotor is warped it will try to push the piston(s) back up into the caliper as the warped part of the rotor goes past it (them) so it sends a pulse of extra pressure back up the brake line and into the master cylinder bore and ends up against the rod from the brake pedal ,which pushes back on your pedal/foot .

That's why air in the system ruins it as air IS compressible.

Last edited by bazza77; 10-22-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:00 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Originally Posted by bazza77
Pulsing pedal , is when you push your foot down hard enough to engage the brakes to slow the car , you can feel the pedal pushing back up in a rhythmic pulse .

What causes this is when you push down , you put a force on the brake fluid (which doesn't compress) so something has to give , so the brake pistons get pushed into the brake rotor and squeeze it . Now if the rotor is warped it will try to push the piston(s) back up into the caliper as the warped part of the rotor goes past it (them) so it sends a pulse of extra pressure back up the brake line and into the master cylinder bore and ends up against the rod from the brake pedal ,which pushes back on your pedal/foot .

Good explanation, you may even feel some very slight vibration that varies with speed in the steering wheel (front brakes) or the seat of your pants (most likely rear brakes). There may be some noise as well.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:21 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Good explanation, you may even feel some very slight vibration that varies with speed in the steering wheel (front brakes) or the seat of your pants (most likely rear brakes). There may be some noise as well.
yes that's true , and this applies to all disc brake cars regardless of age

I bought my 2001 commodore cheap because it had all those symptoms , new rotors and pads all round and its good as new now.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Danny76
Instructor

Originally Posted by bazza77

Thanks for that explanation! I didn't really notice any pulsing, but I'll have to drive it again to see since I wasn't focusing on that. I was focusing on getting home.
It could be those rear bearings or rotors. I can't believe I'm basically back to square one.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake light on/soft pedal issues

Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Thanks for that explanation! I didn't really notice any pulsing, but I'll have to drive it again to see since I wasn't focusing on that. I was focusing on getting home.
It could be those rear bearings or rotors. I can't believe I'm basically back to square one.
You are not at square one, you have a solid booster and master (that are installed properly) and understand where you are getting air in the system. I understand your frustration and have been there myself.

Keep going, this is a great hobby, but can be trying at times.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 AM
Danny76
Instructor

You are not at square one, you have a solid booster and master (that are installed properly) and understand where you are getting air in the system. I understand your frustration and have been there myself.

Keep going, this is a great hobby, but can be trying at times.
Thanks for the encouragement silver74. I THINK I might know where air is getting in. Problem is, if it is bearings, I don't know how to do that I don't have a mechanic yet. Just not sure who I can trust.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:46 PM
silver74vette
Pro

Thanks for the encouragement silver74. I THINK I might know where air is getting in. Problem is, if it is bearings, I don't know how to do that I don't have a mechanic yet. Just not sure who I can trust.
Rear bearings are a pain, if you need to replace them I would recommend removing the entire trailing arm and sending them to a reputable vendor (there are several on this forum).

Here are some things that you can do to isolate the source of the air:
- Fully bleed the brakes (you are probably an expert at this by now).
- Inspect all brake lines, hoses and fittings for leakage.
- Drive on some back roads (not a lot of traffic) and try to run at some different speeds. apply the brakes and see if you have any vibrations or pulsing. Compare the pedal feel to the just bled brakes.
- If the pedal starts to get soft get back home. Bleed the brakes and look for bubbles from each cylinder.
- If the bubbles start immediately when bleeding from a caliper, the source is that caliper, if it takes a while to get bubbles it is from a line or fitting most likely.
- If it is from one of the rears, you could have a leaky seal, bad bearing or warped rotor.

The brakes in a good working C3 are really very good brakes and should feel as smooth as a new car. My current project has brakes from a 1984 and they have considerably less stopping power.

Keep going, we're pulling for you!

Quick Reply: Brake light on/soft pedal issues