C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering how much space is under the dash for speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Wondering how much space is under the dash for speakers?

So I'm piecing together a sound system for my 1975. I've got 2 woofers for the kick panels, 2 small subs for the rear, and I'll be installing tweeters into the dash pointed at the windshield (To reflect sound. I find this method of installation adds a lot of sound-stage to small vehicles)

The problem I have is that I have no idea how much space is between the upper dash panel thingy and the housing for the gauges.

I want to install a hi-fi ribbon tweeter, but they tend to be fairly deep in size and I'm not sure how big of one I'd be able to get away with (The one I ideally want is a little more than 3 inches deep, 5 inches long, and 2.2 inches wide)

Last edited by Shdggsdv; 09-16-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:58 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

There is plenty of room for these tweeters in the dash.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 PM
EarlyC34me
Parts Sherpa
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Shdggsdv
So I'm piecing together a sound system for my 1975. I've got 2 woofers for the kick panels, 2 small subs for the rear, and I'll be installing tweeters into the dash pointed at the windshield (To reflect sound. I find this method of installation adds a lot of sound-stage to small vehicles)

The problem I have is that I have no idea how much space is between the upper dash panel thingy and the housing for the gauges.

I want to install a hi-fi ribbon tweeter, but they tend to be fairly deep in size and I'm not sure how big of one I'd be able to get away with (The one I ideally want is a little more than 3 inches deep, 5 inches long, and 2.2 inches wide)
I would love to hear what you put together. I need to do sound also. I want to do a Bluetooth amp for the i phone and run the stock stereo. I would love to see what you are configuring for speakers and power.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Tylerf3
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got roughly 2.5". More than enough room for just tweeters. Try making a bracket out of ABS plastic for mounting.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:12 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Tweeter (high-frequency) speakers take very little power to create a lot of high frequency sound. And, that sound is direct (line of sight), so reflecting off the [rigid] windshield and then to the listener is a very sound idea (sorry, no pun intended). But, having tweeters that can actually process LOTS of watts is essentially....crazy . So, fairly small and good quality tweeters is the way to go.

Because of how these dash speakers are mounted, installing 'alternative' tweeter designs should be limited to those that can fit within the envelope allowed by the stock mounting system. Going larger than that is totally unnecessary. Also, if you went with hi/mid speakers in the dash, you would end up with a system which had a LOT of vibration and distortion in it. Keep the mids and bass sounds coming from the kickpanels and/or rear compartment area AFTER prepping those areas appropriately for mid/low speakers.

I've done exactly that in my '71 coupe and used 'decent' quality, low power speakers to connect with the stock radio head. That system is 10 times better than the dash-only setup from '70-77, and I highly recommend it.

P.S. If you are using the Delco head, make sure that the 'total' speaker impedance [on each side] equals no less than 8 ohms. If you go less than that, you run the risk of overdriving (excessive current) the output amp stages if you turn the volume up pretty high and send a lot of low frequency stuff through the amp.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-19-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wondering how much space is under the dash for speakers?

Quick Reply: Wondering how much space is under the dash for speakers?