C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to get a either a C3 or a C4

Old 09-22-2017, 07:11 AM
2airtime2
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2airtime2
Get 1 of each

C4's are cheaper. C3's are cooler. I think you'd have to put $thousands into a C3 to get it to handle/drive like a C4. I paid $6500 for my '92 a few yrs ago. It had 77,000 miles and was well maintained. It had a new optispark, water pump, headlight gears, etc. I flushed the brake lines, replaced the 1/2 shaft u-joints, repaired all 4 Bose amps, replaced some speakers, and serviced the rear end and transmission. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it and drive it cross country right now. I disagree with people who say it's not a modern car. When I get in it I do nothing different than when getting in my Trailblazer of Sierra. No trouble lights and every single thing works as it should.

I was on the interstate a few weeks ago in my C4. A froggy V-6 Accord flew past me. I let him get 1/2 - 3/4 mile ahead of me then I matched his speed. We cruised at over 100mph for miles. Smooth as silk. I took my son in law for a drive the other week on a curvy road near the house. He was very impressed with how it hugged the road. C4's are fun to drive. If I had to pick one I'd go with a restomodded C3 but if you get a C4 go with a '92 (300hp) or later. I drove some earlier C4's (than '92) with 250hp or less, huge difference that 50hp makes.

Last edited by 2airtime2; 09-22-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 AM
leadfoot88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you want it for as most have stated already. I have had c3/c4/c5/and c6 but never multiples at the same time.

I really do love the c4's. Something about the way you sit in them is so cool to me. Mine really felt like a go kart. I feel like c4's are modern enough to drive every day and they are so cheap that it is much easier to stomach a ding or rock chip here and there.

I currently own a 69 c3 and I love it as well but for different reasons. My c3 is my favorite corvette I have ever owned and to put that into perspective I drove my c6 out of the dealer showroom with 4 miles on the odometer.

While the performance is the worst of every other car I have owned (other than straight line) it is the most enjoyable to me. I love the thin rimed wheel, the lines of the fenders, and the feeling I get driving it. I get to talk to a lot of folks about it because people always have fun stories of a family or friend having one. I have enjoyed every minute of ownership.

A few years ago I was so caught up on having a "track" car that was fast around corners and that I could "magazine race" with my friends. Who has faster 0-60, top speed, etc... The realization has come that I don't live near a track, don't have time to go to a track, don't want to spend the money I would need to spend for that hobby. My joy comes more from driving the back roads and not driving an appliance to work every day.

Mine have all been reliable, replacing wear items on all of them as I would have done to any car is my experience. I don't think you can go wrong. Get what you want for the reasons you want it and don't look back. You can't make a bad decision!

Good luck!
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
Based on your questions might I suggest a nice C5?
I agree. I would recommend a C5 too.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabrowned
Hi everyone! I've been using the search function to try to get to relevant topics, but I couldn't seem to find the threads that I saw yesterday. Please feel free to point me in the right direction if what I ask is super repetitive.

I'm looking to get a C3 or a C4 as a gift to myself in the next few months. While I've seen checklists of things that one should check for before buying, I wanted to know more about the ownership experience of a C3/C4, so I'm posting in each generation's forum to get a feel.

Here's an example of something I'm looking at: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/33351508

1. How reliable are C3s being driven 2-3 days a week? We do have a commuter car for longer trips, but I'd definitely want to use this "fun" car for when the wife and I go on dates, etc.

2. What are the maintenance costs like, for a decently-cared-for C3?

3. Is there any particular year range I should look into for the best possible quality? I know that for some cars, certain model years aren't as good as others.

4. How's the ride comfort?

5. What's a good price for a C3? And how many miles is "acceptable"?
I presently own a 1970 C3 I'm rebuilding and have owned a very nice 2001 C5 based on this and the money spent, creature comforts and very a big chance of getting shafted buying a older Corvette for the money I'd be seriously considering a purchase of a C5/C6/C7. Believe me if your wife is anything like mine (and I love mine dearly ) creature comforts and not breaking down while on a date is very important.
Shop wisely and pay heed to all the advice on buying early year Corvettes, they RUST in the worst places and you'll lose a lot of money.

Last edited by caskiguy; 09-25-2017 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
ariba (09-26-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to get a either a C3 or a C4