C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hinge Pillar Weatherstrip Question..69

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 10:25 AM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Hinge Pillar Weatherstrip Question..69

Hi All,
I've been installing weatherstripping and have one more set to install. That being the one piece windshield "A" pillar strips. My question is what type of adhesive would be best for the lower part of it. The part that fastens with two screws to the hinge pillar. It seems that the upper windshield molding portion would be fine with regular weatherstrip adhesive but should I use something different/stronger for the lower section. Just that my gut feeling tells me regular adhesive isn't good enough in this area for the long term.
Any opinions/suggestions? Thanks Rick
Old 09-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Regular 3M worked fine for me.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

Yep, 3M-3008 to be more specific. It's the black weatherstripping cement that has the same holding strength as the yellow 3m-3001. Smear a thin coat onto both surfaces and let it air dry for several minutes to get really tacky THEN stick your weatherstripping on.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

I also used 3M weather strip adhesive. It was black, but I don't remember if it was the "super" or regular.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you are wanting to use an adhesive on the cupped part of the pillar post w/strip that is held in by the two screws. I personally/professionally do not use any adhesive because the metal inside that portion of the w/strip is good enough due to its rigidity. What I do apply is a thin application of the 3M strip caulk to create a seal....or thin layer of the CR Laurence 7708.

But as it can be done as a person feels works best for them.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
69L46vert (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 AM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
If you are wanting to use an adhesive on the cupped part of the pillar post w/strip that is held in by the two screws. I personally/professionally do not use any adhesive because the metal inside that portion of the w/strip is good enough due to its rigidity. What I do apply is a thin application of the 3M strip caulk to create a seal....or thin layer of the CR Laurence 7708.

But as it can be done as a person feels works best for them.

DUB
Thanks for the reply Dub. Not worried about the part that has metal but just above it and below the moulding. The 7708 or strip caulk idea sounds very good. That's what I'll do. I really didn't want to resort to urethane but that transitional area needs more than weatherstrip adhesive imo if it's to create a reliable seal. Thanks, I feel much better about it now.

Get notified of new replies

To Hinge Pillar Weatherstrip Question..69

Quick Reply: Hinge Pillar Weatherstrip Question..69