C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum manifold corrosion

Old 09-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Bacci
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Aluminum manifold corrosion

Will K&W sealant with copper particles on gasket cause corrosion of aluminum manifold and thermostat housing? Using GO5 antifreeze, only driven two miles in 7 years, and now pitting in both components.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

have you used a test strip to determine the acid level of your coolant?

http://www.radstrips.com/
Old 09-23-2017, 01:04 AM
71VetteLover
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Never Use Tap Water In Cooling Systems

Originally Posted by Bacci
Will K&W sealant with copper particles on gasket cause corrosion of aluminum manifold and thermostat housing? Using GO5 antifreeze, only driven two miles in 7 years, and now pitting in both components.

Are you using a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water? Note I said DISTILLED water because the acid or alkali in the water can vary a lot depending on where you live and it's the acid or alkali in the water that can eat up aluminum.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 PM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacci
Copper and Aluminum in contact with each other will exhibit galvanic corrosion. Do a Google search and you'll find tables that show this.

John
Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Copper and aluminum you do have to think about what you are doing!

Basically the intake manifold isn't a high critical pressure location, so I don't know why you would think you need copper?
Generally copper is used on exhaust manifolds, on cylinder head gaskets!

Maybe if you are boosting your intake charge with a blower or turbo, then I could see them there!

But on an intake gasket you could spread a very thin coating of gasket material on both sides! Heck they even have copper gasket maker in tubes! I use that one where I am sealing for oil! On the water locations more silicone! Even on head gaskets at the water jackets you use RTV silicone or at like the manifold a hardening sealant! The copper is more for combustion sealing and strength! Same as to why most head gaskets have copper rings embedded!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 09-24-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum manifold corrosion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum manifold corrosion